Dental Treatment - Fillings!

Juzza

Reaction score
Hey all,

Very new here. Often take a peek to make sure i'm not the only one eating huge amounts of food, screaming at OH, crying uncontrollably but now i've actually joined you!

Visited the dentist yest and was told i need a filling (first ever) obviously metal ones are free but the dentist said they contain mercury (which i thought dangerous in preg).

Does anyone know if it's safe to get a metal filling or shall i cough up for the white one?

:?

Well I have lots of fillings :cry: but unless you plan to swollow the metal one, im fairly sure there wont be a problem with having it! If your worried you can check with your midwife, but cant see how it would do any damage to be honest :D

Natalie x

I didn't think you were allowed metal fillings during pregnancy?

Hiya

Although there is no evidence of health risks associated with mercury amalgam fillings, they are not recommended during pregnancy.

In a previous pregnancy I needed a filling and my dentist said as I was pregnant he would do the white one and this was free....I think it just depends on your dentist. Some charge for the white fillings and some don't.

I've only ever had one filling and as it was white I think I would always plumb for a white one - But more so for asthetic reasons than anything else.

Yeah the metal ones arn't recomended during pregnancy or full stop for that matter.
Last year I had all my metal ones removed and replaced with white ones. Im surprised your GP wants to charge you for them though, perhaps look into this?!?!

In which case i could be totally wrong!! :oops: I havent heard about any problems and havent been told there is a problem with metal filings, but worth checking out with midwife first :)

Natalie x

Thanks everyone - i'll definitely check with my midwife. I did start to think it was a bit off that i'd have to pay for white especially as the whole point of the exemption cert is that you don't pay and metal ones are potentially dangerous so you have no choice really.

Perhaps i'll consider changing dentist - was first check up anyway and to top it off she's allergic to perfume and deodorant which requires patients to wear none when attending - no thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back