Delaying a period

xMillie

Reaction score
I'm unsure of the correct route to go (I'll be talking with my ivf clinic and gp to see what they both think to) but just looking for some info from anyone who has taken a prescription to delay their period before. Is there even more than one option?

I wish it wasn't something I had to do but AF is here now and my cycles can be anywhere from 26 days right up to 31 days (but more often it's 28/29 days). Which puts my next cycles day 1 bang on our wedding day!

Does taking something to delay your period mess with your next cycle?
Like not ovulating?
Or super long cycles? Short cycles?
And did the cycle after that go back to normal?
While on the medication did you still get your usual pre-af/af symptoms like bloating, body aches etc. Worried I won't fit in my dress lol.

I'm really hoping it doesn't throw back our next go at ivf further... :(
I'll be talking with my clinic tomorrow and see what they say too.

I wish I could leave it to chance but I don't want to spending our wedding day worried about af deciding she's going to show up too!

Any thoughts and experience appreciated!
Thanks!

Last edited:
I have taken norithsterone a couple of times when AF was been due on holidays. I sometimes got horrendously heavy AF so didn't want that on holiday. I didn't mess things up too much for me, one of the times it delayed ov by about 4 days so cycle was slightly longer but nothing major xx

Thanks Lisey :)
Cd1 is always incredibly heavy for me and I really really don't want that!

Super worried about being bloated and feeling uncomfortable in my dress... I've had 3 fittings one was just before my period was due and it was feeling a little tight...

I'm sure I have the worst luck lol.

My period was always due on big events. Even when I worked out timings so it wouldn't, the period before would be a day or so early or late and throw the next one and then BAM. Stupid witch at the most inconvenient time! Xx

My Gp has given me a pill a few times too to delay my cycle a few days. Worked well, no heavy bleeding after. Think I had some spotting on one occasion.

I came off contraception to obviously try for a baby, it was a few months before we actually got married. My period showed up the day before we got married :doh: thankfully it was very light (probably due to stress :lol: ) but on the day I was paranoid it'd suddenly go full flow all over my dress. If you can get something to delay it I would but not sure how it affects your ivf etc hun so maybe ask them xx

Yep sure is inconvenient :(
a few months ago I thought it was going to work out... but then the last few cycles have been longer/shorter and ugh messed it up!

MrsLaw, thanks! I thought there would be the chance of a little spotting. Ahh such a pain!

MrsS, so you just went with it? That would be my biggest worry. So really hoping I can delay it without pushing ivf back further. I'll find out what they say tomorrow I guess. I really don't know if I could just go with it. :/

I've taken norothisterone for years and it's only ever given me slightly worse cramp when af does come. Cycle usually makes it way back to normal too. Everyone's different but I've never had issues

To be honest I was quite naive, it was my first time officially ttc and I'd had the coil in For a long time so I didn't have a clue when my period would come. I just went with it but was really lucky my periods were light otherwise it could have been really uncomfortable with bleeding and bloating on the day of the wedding. If you know you have a heavy period I would try to delay it if you can. Can you phone the clinic and ask what they'd recommend?xx

Pinkz, thanks for posting. True, everyone's different.

Yes day 1 and sometimes day 2 is heavy for me so I hope I am able to take something to delay it.
I have an appointment with them tomorrow so I can ask them then. :)

They can give you something, I know people who have due to holidays. I'm like MrsS, I got AF just before my wedding! It's really not nice and I would have delayed if I'd known it was possible! Xx

Just another one whose had norethisterone to delay a period for a hoilday. It was before I was on the pill and wasn't TTC. Don't remember having any issues at all. Just delayed my otherwise regular periods exactly as I wanted!! Would definitely double check it won't affect the IVF though. Good luck!

Pinkz, thanks for posting. True, everyone's different.

Yes day 1 and sometimes day 2 is heavy for me so I hope I am able to take something to delay it.
I have an appointment with them tomorrow so I can ask them then. :)

You can get it from boots also. Just for anyone needing it without a docs appointment.

Thanks Phonix, it would sure be better to not worry about it.

Moomingirl, that's great! I really hope I won't get any pre-af symptoms at all. I get horrible migraines not sure how I'd last the day with one of those.

Pinkz, ooo that's good to know! Was kind of dreading booking a gp appointment. Thank you!

Ivf clinic says it's fine and won't delay anything yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back