Delayed Cord Clamping

russellmuscle

Reaction score
Hey

Just thought Id share the link below relating to delayed cord clamping.

Of course its not everyones choice during labour but I didnt have a clue about it first time round and since have read a few articles on it and keen to put it in my next birth plan.

I seen it today again on my newsfeed from the daisy foundation but couldnt get the link, so Ive posted a similar one.

For all who werent aware ;)

Happy reading.

www.onetoonemidwives.org/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=50480

Good link - I'm really hoping for delayed clamping this time as although it was in my plan last time I lost too much blood so for safety I was advised to cut early.

I would love to get a pic of the placenta still attached - strange I know but I think it's such an amazing thing and the cord is beautiful x

I'm with one-to-one midwives and they're fab! Delayed cord clamping will be in my birth plan too x

Thank you RM, delayed cord clamping is definitely going to be in my birth plan xx

Your welcome ladies.

Something my MW didnt touch on. OH cut the cord I was adamant on that but only discovered this after labour..

About the jaundice risks, Jackson wasnt delayed clamped and he still came out like this...

Again I wasnt told he was jaundice until the HV told me :lol: I just thought he had a tan as my wee brothers are sallow. Hes now a wee white wash with orange hair, so the tan wasnt meant to be.

But we got jaundice regardless so its not a huge risk for me..

xxxx

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1458846283524.jpg
    FB_IMG_1458846283524.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 40
Good link - I'm really hoping for delayed clamping this time as although it was in my plan last time I lost too much blood so for safety I was advised to cut early.

I would love to get a pic of the placenta still attached - strange I know but I think it's such an amazing thing and the cord is beautiful x

No its not strange I love seeing babies in their just out the wrapper form if you like,

I dont think Id go as far to bring it home, some keep it attached. Id be scared of infection tbh and dont fancy introducing my placenta to the family as well as a new baby :lol:

But perhaps a snap is nice. In the birthday suit still attached.

I wouldnt eat it either. I like the look of the vitamins made from placenta but I think it sbe a big faff not read much into it.

xxxx

Ewww no I couldn't do a placenta smoothie lol

I'm hoping for a home birth but wouldn't want to keep the placenta - I'm hoping the midwives will take it away after I've got my photo lol

It's strange that they list a complication as increased risk of jaundice as I thought I'd read the opposite, that getting their full quota of placental/cord blood reduces jaundice?! How odd.

Anyway, yes I have vague recollection of being aware of delayed cord clamping with my last baby (9 years ago!) but everything happened so quickly, and the midwife clamped straight away and asked (ex) OH if he was going to cut the cord. I remember trying to 'slow it down' (get in the way haha) but I think it still happened quickly and I was too preoccupied with having just given birth to say anything.

This time I'd like to lotus birth - though not sure how practical it will be, depends if I have an 'oozey' placenta or short cord ;) haha. If it's too annoying I'll cut, but I'm adamant about having a natural 3rd stage and not cutting the cord until after the placenta has been delivered. I'll leave it attached as long as I can bare to but just see how things go.

No me either!! But you can get them made into vitamins I hear? Wouldnt mind that. I hear the benefits for healing are amazing.

Christ I smell food before I eat it Im so fussy. I could not sit down to a placenta supper. F that. But tablets gulp gone in a second.

I heard they put it in your food waste bin if you have one?? :rofl: joke. Im sure theyll dispose. Do they not test it after to make sure its healthy etc? I thought they says that to me they take a sample of it. I got a good look at mine. Looked like a giant liver but then I was on gas and air :lol:

xxxx

Yeah Im thinking of keeping baby attached until placenta is out.

I do want a whole birthday suit and placenta/cord pic.

My first labour was really fast. 9m from being classed at 10cm so everything was a bit of a rush at the end they just clamped and OH clipped. I expect my next labour to be a bit more calm as in Ill know whats happening when so I can say during if needed bring my baby and placenta attached please :lol:

I want baby birthed onto me for ski to skin and ill await the placenta. OH can do the cord and have a hold once all thats done.

Not specific or anything :lol:

I do think maybe thats why Jackson was super jaundice. He didnt need light therapy luckily. But he did sleep alot. For about 2w I was waking him for feeds etc. I just sat waiting for him to wake..

xxxx

Last edited:
I don't think I could drink the smoothie either but I could definitely take it in capsules. I've heard it's quite pricey to have this done though? X

I didnt read up on it. One of things Id like to do but I dont see myself commiting.

xxxx

The hospital I'm at in Peterborough does delayed cord clamping as standard practice, except in the event of an emergency obviously. I have it in my birth Plan also, as it's something that benefits baby no end x

My hospitals like a bloody convere belt so its a case of one in one out :lolg

Pretty cool tho that your one does it standard.

xxxx

Can I just ask what is delayed cord clamping and how it affects baby?, never heard of it before X

The link is at the top hun.

Basically the longer you leave cord pulsating before clamping baby will get extra nutrients and oxygen.

xxxx

This was on my birth plan with Noah, but birth didnt go to plan haa! They needed his dad to cut it quick as he had meconium all in his eyes nose & mouth. He was quite purple too.

If HB goes to plan i may pop it dwn on my list this time :) x

Last edited:
We're going back a while now (Bee is 14m) but I was put off DCC. Mainly as the MW's at my hospital weren't pushing it much (one even went as far as saying that a new co. had just taken over so she couldn't vouch for them!!) and also I believe you can't have the injection to assist with placenta delivery? [I may be imagining that part?]

To be honest I did really think about it but when the time came I had such a quick and easy delivery I don't think I'd have wanted to prolong stage 3?

X

I asked for delayed cord cutting last time and will again. Everything felt rushed to me after my daughter was born so I'm not sure how long they actually left it, but I definitely don't want it cut straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back