Dates, movement & symptoms

xStarletx

Reaction score
As I have said in a previous post I have had my 20 week scan and the midwife says that the measurements are perfect for the dates however I still feel that I am further on than they think. Every symptom has come at least 2 weeks early I have been able to feel movement from 14 weeks and for the last month or so been able to see baby move.

Am I just paranoid could I just be getting symptoms/movement early or is it possible the hospital have it wrong? could the measurements fit a 20 week old baby and my baby is just small? I wouldn't mind going into labor a bit early obviously but would like to be prepared and as my anti natal classes are at the VERY end of my pregnancy I'm scared I'll go early and miss them :( x

I've written something similar in my journal, that all of my pregnancy developments have been at least a week ahead of what is expected. I've been feeling movements since early on, and got the heartbeat on my doppler at 10 weeks which my mw said isn't possible!

I know for a fact I'm at least 4 days ahead of what the baby has been measuring, as there's no possible way I could have conceived on the day they say, even my husband knew it wasn't possible! They just say it must have taken a while to get there, but if I am indeed a week behind then that would mean I got my bfp at 5DPO which is just ridiculous.

So I don't think the scan dates hold much weight if you know exactly how long you've been pregnant, and the baby will just come when it's ready anyway!!

Just let them have their way with the dates, and make sure you attend everything you need to even if it means going to NCT classes instead of the NHS ones xx

Last edited:
I think that considering they are professionals, I think they can make a fairly accurate judgement on how far into a pregnancy a woman is.. Especially as its a 20 week scan, as they would have been able to tell at the 12 week scan if you were further ahead than first thought x

I think that considering they are professionals, I think they can make a fairly accurate judgement on how far into a pregnancy a woman is.. Especially as its a 20 week scan, as they would have been able to tell at the 12 week scan if you were further ahead than first thought x

The scan measures the size of the baby for dates, crown to rump <14wks and head circumference >14wks, then bone lengths etc. This is not a precise science, and all depends on how baby is growing, etc, and even angles of the scan can affect the date by a few days.

If your baby is measuring small, then your date will be put back, if it's big, then it will be put forward. I was put back 6 days in total from lmp, Kanga was put forward 6 days from lmp, but we both know this isn't when we conceived.

This is the chart the sonographer showed me at my 16 week scan:

hc.gif

Even a few millimetres difference can be huge, and this is what they use to date it (although most machines make an automatic calculation nowadays, it is still based on this formula) xx

Last edited:
As Leesey said , it wouldn't hurt to look at some extra antenatal classes a bit earlier to make sure you're prepared. My SIL is 3 weeks ahead of me and everyone swore she was further along than she is, however when she asked the midwife about feeling movement so early she said it was because her placenta was at the back so there was nothing cushioning the baby's movements. Not sure if this is also a possibility for you.

I'm preparing for my baby to be a bit early anyway as my mum can't carry to full term and I want to be prepared just in case I follow (I'm the same size and am carrying exactly the same as she did with my sister).

If you are concerned I would raise it with your midwife at your next appointment though hun xxx

Thanks girls

Everytime I mention it to the midwife she just refers back to the measurements brought it up a few times. Think I will just have to wait and see what happens apart from the anti natal classes and a pram I have everything organised anyway so wouldn't do to much harm if she was early just glad Im not the only one x

Thanks girls

Everytime I mention it to the midwife she just refers back to the measurements brought it up a few times. Think I will just have to wait and see what happens apart from the anti natal classes and a pram I have everything organised anyway so wouldn't do to much harm if she was early just glad Im not the only one x

Just had a quick look at the NCT website, and as far as I can see (depending on where you are) there's a choice of antenatal classes you could go to. I just put in my own postcode, and Stirling is coming up for April/May classes, Glasgow is April/May too, a selection in Edinburgh throughout May, and one in Aberdeen for May if you're up that way.

Hope that helps show you what's available xx

PS - it's http://www.nct.org.uk/ and click on courses xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back