Daniel had to have a cast put on today!:-( Club foot

MissThing

Reaction score
Hello girls!

I am so frustrated and so upset again with the blasted NHS! Daniel was born with the club foot, and all they said to do is to massage it. But, I was worried all the time, cos even if I massaged all the time there was no improvement! :cry: And I was telling my GP from the week 5, that I AM worried! But all he said-its ok, it will get better and etc! Well, when after 3 months it didnt get better I INSISTED on having reffered to the surgeon orthopedic! Well, anyways, today we finally had an appointment, and the doctor was really nice, and, he said, you've come just in time! There cant anything be done with the massage, so Daniel had to have a cast put on! Up till his hip, poor thing! :cry: And it might take up to 6 months to correct it! Well, I am pleased, that something had been done finally. And, although it is upsetting me to see him like that I know it will get better. Just, if it was done when he was smaller, the process would be much easier.

What I am really mad about, is that AGAIN I was let down by medical stuff (my GP in particular!) :evil: :evil: :evil: :x I just have no words! I was pointing out to that arrogant ******* several times, that it is not getting better, but, cos he is a "doctor" hi knows best!

Before it was my SPD (that was with the MW's), then it was my breastfeeding (all together!) and know its Daniel's poor foot!

I am feeling so let down and upset! I was being quiet when it was just me, but, now, when my baby has to suffer it just drives me mad! I think we are changing a GP!!! :evil:

:hug: :hug: :hug:
its such a shame seeing a little baby in a cast innit. my boyfs niece has one. glad ur getting it sorted tho :hug:

aww hn im sorry to hear this but at least the cast wil correct it..it was thought that chirstopher had clubfoot at birth but it was just at a slight angle due to him being so big..thankfully hes walking okay now and i have had a look at it and it seems okay but after we were discharged when he was born nothign more was said about it.... :think: so if he did /does slightly have it im not sure TBH.... :think:

how bad does danny have it ?

hope these help..... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

rhian85 said:
aww hn im sorry to hear this but at least the cast wil correct it..it was thought that chirstopher had clubfoot at birth but it was just at a slight angle due to him being so big..thankfully hes walking okay now and i have had a look at it and it seems okay but after we were discharged when he was born nothign more was said about it.... :think: so if he did /does slightly have it im not sure TBH.... :think:

how bad does danny have it ?

hope these help..... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: Well, surgeon said its one of the milder cases, but his foot is still bent quite a lot to inside :cry: Its just breaking my heart to see him with it. :cry: He loves swimming and kicking, and now he cant do that :( Just have to hope it will get better :) :hug:

My neighbours granddaughter had a similar issue with Doc's not checking her properly, and she had to have a cast on up to her hip for a very long time. They are currently suing because of the stress and trauma its caused them and their daughter, and they will be financially compensated because of the professional neglect. I would suggest maybe getting some legal advice? Not only because your son should have been refered earlier, but to stop this happening, your son should have had professional care which he obviously didn't.

I am so sorry, I do hope things end really well, very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

newmum said:
:( sorry to hear that. My boss's daughter had two club feet and had to be in casts and braces for a long time. Good thing is that it does an amazing job and then only memory the LO has of it are the photos. I guess we feel more sorry for them than they do for themselves because we think about what they are missing and they just think about how they can still do all the things they want to do with a cast on. I'm sure Daniel will figure out a way of being just as wiggly :) So sorry that you were let down by the 'experts.' Shows that mum does know best. How is the weaning going?

It is exactly how you are saying. I just know that he loves to swim and kick and jump in his door bouncer, and now, knowing that he cant makes me sad :cry: But Daniel seems to be fine and same bubbly himself :D

Oh, weaning is great! Daniel loves his food :D He is up to one pot of puree a day, and he would eat anything :D I think, he would want even more, but we have to wait a couple of weeks more. In the beginning he was a bit constipated (just when we started, but, I guess it happens with all babies, no matter what age), we started giving him very weak diluted fruit juice, and he is absolutely fine now :D

Redshoes said:
My neighbours granddaughter had a similar issue with Doc's not checking her properly, and she had to have a cast on up to her hip for a very long time. They are currently suing because of the stress and trauma its caused them and their daughter, and they will be financially compensated because of the professional neglect. I would suggest maybe getting some legal advice? Not only because your son should have been refered earlier, but to stop this happening, your son should have had professional care which he obviously didn't.

I am so sorry, I do hope things end really well, very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: With my all heart I would want to sue the blasted medical stuff over this and hundred other things, which happened to me during pregnancy :evil: :x But at the moment I simply have no strenght to do so :( Like my DH said, we can do that, but it would upset you even more, and it's not worth it. And, besides, we met some really fantastic people in the NHS. So, I guess, it would be unfair to them. Just in future I promised myself, that if i think something is not going right, I am going to demand additional consultations. Just have to take things in my own hands right from the beginning!

Thanks guys, for your support! :hug: And to lovely Trixi for replying first :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi :wave: Josh my DS was born with severe talipes (club foot - but I hate that phrase) in both feet

He was strapped from birth and has had various ops/plasters/physio etc - he's 14 now and atm they think he may escape any further ops - although he won't get the all clear until he's about 18 and has finished growing. He has odd looking feet but as they're size 11 now - I think its more because they're soooo big :wink:

It was annoying when he was younger - and it delayed walking for us (but sounds like your LOs is less severe and by the time walking is an issue they may be fine) but what you may find is that other development like talking/concentrating/hand eye will become advanced as they concentrate on that instead for a while.

The casts really don't bother them once they're used to it, and as he got older we just treated physio etc as normal and he never minded that either - actually he loved it.

good luck and if you have any questions - feel free to pm. :D

jools :hug: Thanks hun.

libs: I do hope that everything will be ok in a couple of months. It just hurts to see him with the cast. First 2 days were very difficult, now when we got more used to it, its better :)

watch out for the day the cast comes off - Josh was so used to the weight that he kicked hard and flipped over - he had no idea what had happened :D

Carina said:
Hello girls!

I am so frustrated and so upset again with the blasted NHS! Daniel was born with the club foot, and all they said to do is to massage it. But, I was worried all the time, cos even if I massaged all the time there was no improvement! :cry: And I was telling my GP from the week 5, that I AM worried! But all he said-its ok, it will get better and etc! Well, when after 3 months it didnt get better I INSISTED on having reffered to the surgeon orthopedic! Well, anyways, today we finally had an appointment, and the doctor was really nice, and, he said, you've come just in time! There cant anything be done with the massage, so Daniel had to have a cast put on! Up till his hip, poor thing! :cry: And it might take up to 6 months to correct it! Well, I am pleased, that something had been done finally. And, although it is upsetting me to see him like that I know it will get better. Just, if it was done when he was smaller, the process would be much easier.

What I am really mad about, is that AGAIN I was let down by medical stuff (my GP in particular!) :evil: :evil: :evil: :x I just have no words! I was pointing out to that arrogant b*****d several times, that it is not getting better, but, cos he is a "doctor" hi knows best!

Before it was my SPD (that was with the MW's), then it was my breastfeeding (all together!) and know its Daniel's poor foot!

I am feeling so let down and upset! I was being quiet when it was just me, but, now, when my baby has to suffer it just drives me mad! I think we are changing a GP!!! :evil:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: The NHS does this a lot and its really unfair... !!!

It took me a year to get Tia diagnosed with Poland Syndrome... all the doctors I took her to see said "No... you're just a panicky young mum, you don't know a thing!"... it was so obvious something was wrong with her the moment she was born, but I just kept getting fobbed off... even private doctors didn't want to know.

It was only by a fluke, after Tia got meningitis that she was referred to a consultant who had seen another child with Poland Syndrome too.. and she was FINALLY diagnosed. Even then, she was referred to GOSH and then the specilist there said "no it can't be Poland Syndrome, as she needed to have a hand deformity... " When I told him to tell me what it is then, he said he didn't know and couldn't really be bothered to find out... I just turned around and told him he wasn't a very good doctor then. :shakehead:

Its just sooo frustrating when these things happened.

My advice now to any mother is this... You know your child, the doctors don't.. you spend every waking moment with that child, the doctors don't.. Trust your instincts and if you know that there is something wrong with your child, keep pushing and pushing and pushing.. Never let them fob you off until you have exhausted every available opportunity...

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Squiglet said:
My advice now to any mother is this... You know your child, the doctors don't.. you spend every waking moment with that child, the doctors don't.. Trust your instincts and if you know that there is something wrong with your child, keep pushing and pushing and pushing.. Never let them fob you off until you have exhausted every available opportunity...

That is exactly what I was thinking! I am just also so angry with myself, that I havent insisted earlier! I should have got the hell out of the ******* GP (cant call him in any other way! :twisted: ) We are going to write a letter to him. Ill post it here when Ill do so!

Carina said:
Squiglet said:

That is exactly what I was thinking! I am just also so angry with myself, that I havent insisted earlier! I should have got the hell out of the b*****d GP (cant call him in any other way! :twisted: ) We are going to write a letter to him. Ill post it here when Ill do so!

Don't be angry with yourself... The GPs/consultants throw up so many barriers.. what are you supposed to do??? If they don't want to refer you to the hospital you can't exactly do it yourself unless you go private, and well I never had the money to do that so I was stuck like you... having to fight every step of the way.

But from now on.. just keep pushing and pushing and do complain, and do write a letter.. and really bask in the glory of the fact that you were RIGHT (you having no medical training) and the GP was WRONG!

hiya hun ive been reading your posts * hugs *

i know exactly how your feeling both my boys where born with " club feet" congenital talipes so to speak my oldest is now 5 an he's been discharged from the orthapedics now as they seem to be better
how ever my 2 year old is still having ops , plaster casts boots and bar etc etc

if you even want to talk just send me a message i know the ins n outs of all this had it for the past 5 years xxx

did you read about that in the paper well a magazine a little lad was born with two club feet and they had to make him wear heavyish trainers to get his feet right ooops went off topic hope ur lil lad is okay xxx

hiya yeah

both mine where born with both feet like that first one was heart rencing i hated it but now i know its going to be good for em an my oldest is ok now just my youngest but seeing him lied there on a bed at 12 mths old wasnt nice for me but i know when its all done he'll be able to live a half decent life an do the things he wants to do within reason! :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back