cutting babies nails

leighannex

Reaction score
how has other mothers managed to cut their babies nails?

i look at ambers nails and think how hell am i going manage cut them, they are rather long and hurt when she scratches and digs them in my skin.

few women told me they bit their first babies nails off :shock: but surely theirs another way around it, i dont fancy doing that myself

thanks

Huge Tip: Cut them with baby nail clippers - when she is asleep!! I've never managed to bite Libbys :)

can you not trim them while she is asleep??

shes a right little wriggler even when shes asleep, and she sometimes takes hand away when u look at it when shes asleep, but i'l give it go.

thank you

I used to do them when Maddison was getting a bottle off her dad but now I'm on my own I do them when she is asleep :D

Isaac's never still and when I'd try when he was asleep he'd always move his hand out of mine, like he knew :lol: I cut him with the nail clippers, obviously by accident but it was awful, so I moved to baby scissors and think they're great, even when he's awake and wriggly I find I'm able to cut them to some degree :D

i use baby nail clippers. its VERY difficult, u gotta have nimble fingers as their nails are so tiny and u gotta be careful not to nip the skin! i used to do it while she was asleep, but now i do it while shes awake, it is harder, just gotta really concentrate and sometimes pin her arm down lol! she wiggles a lot!

When Keeley was little i just to bite them while i was cuddling her now i just distract her with something like my phone while i cut them with nail clippers :)

when shes asleep or distract her with my mobile while i try and do it.sometimes can only do a couple at a time

I cut Imogen's for the first time today with baby nail scissors and did it while she was asleep. No probs at all. Good luck!

Oh Gosh... I use a baby nail clipper. But I had an accident last sunday and cried my eyes out. Kenzo is so strong and active, he kept moving his hands violently! and I cut a tiny bit of his skin. he bled for about 5 minutes, I felt so bad and guilty, I starting to think I was the worse mother ever. I just couldn't forgive myself, especially because he cried quite a lot. but the cut was so tiny it healed in just one day, and now it's totally invisible. anyway when it stopped bleeding he was all happy and playful again LOL...

BE VERY CAREFUL, do it while baby is sleeping. :hug: :hug: :hug:

your not supposed to cut them.. your supposed to peal them.. coz the skin is still attached at the back of the nail till aobut 6 weeks old..

yeah I remember peeling them was easier as a newborn - now its like a bloody wrestling match to get his hand still for me to cut them with scissors :roll:

Yesterday the community nursery nurse said to sit with them with their back against your tummy and file their nails.
I know what a nightmare it is though! Finn has just found his hands so now his hands are scratched as well as his face! I must cut his nails every other day!

I have filed as its safer, but in the odd occasion I have used sissors as I caught Imogen twice and made her finger tips bleed :cry: :cry: Ive tried biting them off but it was gross :D

laetitia85 said:
Oh Gosh... I use a baby nail clipper. But I had an accident last sunday and cried my eyes out. Kenzo is so strong and active, he kept moving his hands violently! and I cut a tiny bit of his skin. he bled for about 5 minutes, I felt so bad and guilty, I starting to think I was the worse mother ever. I just couldn't forgive myself, especially because he cried quite a lot. but the cut was so tiny it healed in just one day, and now it's totally invisible. anyway when it stopped bleeding he was all happy and playful again LOL...

BE VERY CAREFUL, do it while baby is sleeping. :hug: :hug: :hug:

i did this last week, she didnt care but i did :( i wait until shes sparko now! have to clip then file as she has inherited mummy's claw like nails, they are razor sharpe unless i file them. shes a manicured miracle! peeling them works until the nails get a bit stronger - i used to peel now i clip.

lisa&alex said:
has this woman ever tried that lol?

I had a go today but gave up very quickly as I was frightened I'd (1) scratch his little fingers (2) break them as I had to hold his hand quite tightly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back