Cradle cap

kitty2016

Reaction score
My little one is 14 weeks and has had cradle cap since very early on. It's definitely getting better as its dry and flakey and doesn't particularly bother him but it's really bothering me!
He was born with a beautiful head full of hair and is now nearly bald :-(
Part of that is because he thrashes about when in bed and has rubbed it off. But I'm sure it also has something to do with the cradle cap.
I was using coconut oil, rubbing in and combing out before bath time and then washing his hair. I'm sure this was working but has also contributed to the hair loss.
Any advice?
I don't really want the chemical shampoo that doc will provide as I feel it's a selfish reason for him to be exposed to it. It's just because I can't bear to look at it, makes me so sad!

Last edited:
Without the stuff it doesn't tend to go away either. I do think normal shampoo irritates it and makes it worse. I bet my son still has some underneath his hair but I got loads out over time and it always seemed to get worse after washing his hair.

I tried coconut oil when my LG was young but it didn't really work. A friend said to try sunflower oil and that worked so much better although it took a lot of washing out. I kind of have up tbh my lo has lots of hair and your couldn't see too much of it. Recently (she's 16m) I had a really good pick (naughty mummy) when she was napping in my arms and then used sunflower oil and have been using the cradle cap shampoo from Tesco since and it's gone! I alternate between the propose shampoo and the nice smelly child's farm one

Great thanks. Thought it had to be prescribed! Will get myself to tesco then x

My baby was also born with a bit of cradle cap and was soooo hard not to pick it.
I mostly just rubbed organic moisturiser on her scalp while gently massaging her head. I avoided washing her head at all unless she got it all dirty (spit, milk, throw up). I had it down to just once a week if possible.
Washing her hair after putting the oil might be getting the problem worse as shampoos are designed to remove oil from our hairs and in this case you want exactly the opposite!
It can be a bit "gross" for a while as she has greasy hair but it will eventually get better and soon it will all be gone :)
Good luck!

I use the dentinox cradle cap shampoo from the supermarket.. It stinks but really works. I just use it for a few times until it's got rid of and then I go back to what I've previously been using, if I notice it coming back again (and it didn't for months) I just use the dentinox again for abit.

In my two cradle cap weemed to be linked to their CMPI. When I cut out dairy (because I was breastfeeding ) it calmed down a lot. When they were older and ate dairy themselves it would tend to flair up.

I used dentinox too, it cleared it up. x

It's nearly cleared up in 3 days with the shampoo. Amazing! Wish I'd done it sooner now.

Most of his hair rubbed off the sides during the night, how long does it take babies hair to grow back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back