Cows Milk - I think I know the answer already but...

SarahH

Reaction score
As you all know by my regular rants I am staying with my inlaws just now... any, my MIL (and my SIL by telephone) keep butting in on how I do certain things with Arianna.... the last one to cause an argument being that I SHOULDN'T be feeding Arianna Full Fat cows milk - when I should in fact be giving her fully skimmed milk.

My HV and my SIL (from my side of the family) have all said that it's full fat milk you give them, but according to my MIL and SIL (pn Bri's side) we are all talking rubbish!

Am I right or not?

I have always been led to believe its full fat milk - they need the fat from it.....I'll see if I can google anything.....why do people insist on telling parents what they are doing is wrong....grrrrr!!!! :x

Milk and Juice

Your baby can drink whole milk now. Please do not use low fat or nonfat milk until your child is 2 years old. Your baby's brain and nervous system are still developing and they need the extra fat to help the nerves grow properly. Children at this age only need about two cups of milk a day. If your child drinks too much milk or juice, he or she may not be hungry for other nutritious food. Your child should not drink more than 4 ounces of juice a day.

It's ok.... just found this (which I have printed for future ref in arguments!!)

Babies from six to 12 months

As your baby grows, the list of safe foods extends, but there are still some important restrictions.

On the menu:

Pureed fruit
Pureed vegetables
Baby rice
Minced fish
Scrambled egg
Oats mixed with breast milk or formula

Off the menu:

Salt. Stay off it for as long as possible.
Nuts. These will also be off the menu after 1 year if there's a nut allergy in the family.
Cows' milk as a drink

What's up, honey?
Honey can be dangerous for babies under 12 months. Coming straight from the bee, it may contain the bacteria that cause infant botulism. It's okay for older babies, as they have a more developed intestine that can fight the bacteria.

From 12 months to 2 years

On the menu:

Fruit and vegetables
Full-fat milk, yogurt and cheese
Meat, fish, beans and lentils
Cereals
Honey. While it's safe after 12 months, but remember it's mainly sugar, so not too much

Off the menu:

Whole nuts
Skimmed or semi-skimmed milk
Reduced-fat yogurt and cheese
High-fibre cereals
Sugar

By this age, babies can eat quite lumpy food, so there's no need to mash everything. They may also like to feed themselves, so give them an extra spoon, and try finger-foods, like toast, chopped fruit and veg and cheese cubes.

Why is milk fat good for toddlers?
Toddlers under 2 years need full-fat milk to ensure they get enough calories and vitamin A. However, after their second birthday, you can switch to semi-skimmed if they're eating well and are a healthy weight. Skimmed milk isn't suitable before 5 years (at the earliest) because it doesn't have enough calories or vitamins A and D. Children need about 300ml (2/3pt) of milk a day at this age.

I was looking into milk this morning and found this on the food standards agency website:-

Doorstep (cows') milk
Full-fat milk isn't suitable as a drink until your baby is a year old. This is because it doesn't contain the right balance of nutrients to meet your baby's needs.

Semi-skimmed milk isn't suitable as a drink for children under two. But you can introduce it from two years old, if your child is a good eater and has a varied diet.

Skimmed milk isn't suitable for children under five years old.

I was told to use full fat till they are at least 2 then you can switch to semi skimmed. I wound'nt see no need at all to switch to semi or even skimmed for any child unless they were over weight.

Thank you!! Arianna isnt over weight at all. They just said that they gave their kids skimmed milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back