Cows Milk - I think I know the answer already but...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Nutrition' started by SarahH, Dec 18, 2007.

1. SarahH

SarahH Well-Known Member

As you all know by my regular rants I am staying with my inlaws just now... any, my MIL (and my SIL by telephone) keep butting in on how I do certain things with Arianna.... the last one to cause an argument being that I SHOULDN'T be feeding Arianna Full Fat cows milk - when I should in fact be giving her fully skimmed milk.

My HV and my SIL (from my side of the family) have all said that it's full fat milk you give them, but according to my MIL and SIL (pn Bri's side) we are all talking rubbish!

Am I right or not?

2. Emmylou

Emmylou Well-Known Member

I have always been led to believe its full fat milk - they need the fat from it.....I'll see if I can google anything.....why do people insist on telling parents what they are doing is wrong....grrrrr!!!! :x

3. Emmylou

Emmylou Well-Known Member

4. SarahH

SarahH Well-Known Member

It's ok.... just found this (which I have printed for future ref in arguments!!)

5. nefisher

nefisher Well-Known Member

I was looking into milk this morning and found this on the food standards agency website:-

Doorstep (cows') milk
    Full-fat milk isn't suitable as a drink until your baby is a year old. This is because it doesn't contain the right balance of nutrients to meet your baby's needs.

Semi-skimmed milk isn't suitable as a drink for children under two. But you can introduce it from two years old, if your child is a good eater and has a varied diet.

Skimmed milk isn't suitable for children under five years old.

6. kellie80

kellie80 Well-Known Member

I was told to use full fat till they are at least 2 then you can switch to semi skimmed. I wound'nt see no need at all to switch to semi or even skimmed for any child unless they were over weight.

7. SarahH

SarahH Well-Known Member

Thank you!! Arianna isnt over weight at all. They just said that they gave their kids skimmed milk.