Couple of questions

Tiggy26

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of questions im hoping some of you may be able to help me with, I know im probably thinking to far ahead as im only 30 weeks pregnant but its all playing on my mind. Here goes.......

1) I plan to breastfeed for as long as possible but was wondering how often during the day and night you do it? Ive read somwehere that every 2 hours is the best option but ive also read somewhere else that its just best to feed baby when he wants it. Also, do you wake him up in the middle of the night when hes sleeping to feed him or wait till the morning when he wakes up?

2) Our baby is due on March 10th and we would like to purchase a Grobag, what Tog would you recommend? I was thinking 1.0 Tog?

3) As before, I plan to breastfeed, how do you know that he is feeding enough or getting enough milk? I dont mind formula feeding him as a "top up" however im worried about giving him to much or to little.

4) How long do newborn babies sleep for? I wanted a rough kinda guess so that i dont panic if hes sleeping to much and something is wrong.

Sorry if some of these questions are silly (you will have more to come im sure :D )

T xx

I have been breast feeding my baby, on demand throught the day and night! It is the best feeling ever as its the only job a mother can do!
I found Robbie gaining plenty of weight and was content in between feeds.
It seems during the first few days that baby isn't getting enough, but you have to keep going and NOT give up, because it takes 2/3 days for your milk to come in properly.
DON'T worry that your baby will not get enough because it will. It does get easier as time goes on.
Robbie wakes up once or twice in the night for a feed but don't worry as your baby grows he'll need less feeds and maybe start to sleep through. Baby will come off the breast himself once he's had enough milk even if its just for winding then he may go back on again for more...trust your own instincts, coz no-one will know your baby more than you!

Can't help on the gro-bags though as Robbie is still in his Moses basket in my room swaddled in a blanket!

Just remember "The more you feed yourself, the more milk you will produce"

Just don't worry as its the most natural thing to do.

Unfortunately I've now introduced a bottle :( :cry: as I was poorly over xmas and was too ill to feed myself, i'm actually really upset about this as it was going soooo well!

Hope my advice helps a little xx

Hiya,

sorry I cant help with breastfeeding questions as i bottlefeed.

For the gro bags though....

grobag.gif

grobag2.gif

1)I only partially breastfed Isaac from day3, but in the beginning babies can feed every couple of hours yes, but they will tell you when they want feeding, however in hospital MW's can suggest you offer the breast at certain times, but there's many reasons for that, the baby's weight, how well you're finding breastfeeding etc As for waking him in the morning, babies rarely sleep through the night and wake through the day, feeding in demand means baby tells you when :D

2)It's hard to recommend a tog as you also need to factor where your LO is sleeping, the temperature of their room and what they're wearing. March can be quite cold, so maybe buy a couple of different togs.

3)You will never know how much your LO gets from breastfeeding but they get waht they need which is what's important to remember. In the early weeks it's important not to top-up with formula as that effects your milk supply, so if you want to exclusively breastfeed I wouldn't advise topping-up. We had to top-up with Isaac in hospital as we were there 8 days and he was incubated, and that effected our routine and my supply.

4)Isaac slept little as a baby, and it was little and often so very hard to rest myself so please remember that good advice of, 'sleep when your baby sleeps'! Some babies sleep extremely well, and are in a 7-7 routine for example almost straight away, like us as adults all babies are different so it's hard to say how long your LO will sleep for.

Don't know if that helps but there's plenty Mummy's here who have advice that will :hug: No questions about being a Mummy are ever silly, and my post here is only MY experience and opinion, you will find you make your own once your LO is here, so very best wishes, and happy future question asking, its all very exciting isn't it :D :hug:

im not sure about the grobag tog question sorry, but newborns sleep A LOT! lol most of the day and all of the nite (although they will hav u up every 3 hours during nite for milk!)

breastfeeding i can help with, yes:
ill just say although INCREDIBLY rewarding and wonderful it is, in those early weeks it is very demanding and it IS a worry not knowing if babys getting enough milk. i fed millie every 3 hours at first or if she cried. i didnt have to wake her in the nite for feeding, she woke me! (and still does!)
my MW was very helpful, she told me if baby's temples are moving they are suckling properly, and if u listen u can hear if the babys swallowing, so although u cant see the milk going in u can hear it going down their throat! and if baby wasnt getting enough they would soon let u kno coz theyd get frustrated and cry and fuss when u tryna feed them (i never had this tho millies always been "a good feeder" as the MW put it!)
be prepared, when ur proper milk comes in (after about 4 days give or take a couple) until 3 or 4 weeks after the birth- when BFing u feel like thats all u ever do! until the baby (and mummy) accomplished at feeding it can take over an hour for one feed (then only 1 or 2 hours until the next one!) so its very draining. and it makes u very thirsty make sure u hav a big glass of water beside u!
good luck tho its fab BFing its such good bonding and the weight drops off hehe

Thanks ladies,

Your comments have been very helpful and im so glad i asked those questions now. I cant wait to be a mummy and im feeling really determained about breast feeding.

Thanks again :hug:

T xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back