Couple of basic feeding questions

fresh

Reaction score
Couple of questions, seem very basic and I feel silly asking but would rather ask than guess

What's the difference between possetting and sick? Charlie has started being sick about 20 minutes average after feeding
Not sure if it's usual? It's enough to drip down behind his head, sonetimes its just milky, other times its a bit cottage cheesey, we keep him upright for a bit but comes out when we lay him down

Wondered if we were feeding him too much... Trying to increase it a bit recently to ensure he put on weight just not sure if we did it the right way
So we were on 70ml every 3 hours, health visitor wanted a bit more so we went 80ml to 90ml and then yesterday we did 120ml every 4 hours, which he seems to take to easy, as he takes up to an hour to feed it helps out with timings a bit better as i wasn't getting time to eat!
Have I done the right thing? (He is 4 weeks old and has downs; very lazy feeder)

i would think he might just be throwing up the mil that cant find room to stay in his tummy :) Aila would do this i would lie her for a nap and 2 mins later hear her puke milk and it will have gone down the back of her neck into her hair because she was lying down. Throwing up the milk doesnt ever bother her sometimes it is cottage cheesy but again ive never worried as she isnt screaming in pain and is putting on plenty of weight. I would just keep an eye on whther he gets more cranky if so he might have a bit of reflux, keeping him upright is good and the fact he is a bit lazy is actually good too as they say to spilt reflux babies feeds :) Also it might seem like a lot of milk ot you but if u were to compare it to 120mls it might not be too much :) xx

If you go to GP they can prescribe gaviscon sachets for reflux. My lo had them and they helped to keep his milk down, as they make his milk thicker/ heavier in his stomach. xx

Albert used to get sicky burps. The milk would sit on top of the wind and come up with it sometimes an hour after a feed and only happen when we moved him.

He has downs? They can find sucking hard work because of the thickness of the tongue. You could try vary flow teats as they adapt to how hard he sucks and it won't be such hard work for him. It will help to stop him getting so tired and finishing his feeds xxxxxxxx

I have a sicky baby. I'm sure he doesn't have reflux. He does the same as you describe. I think he's just taken too much, and gives back what he doesn't want. He's in no pain, and gaining weight. So try keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. You could always just mention it to your HV xx

Thanks for your replies, we are already on the vari flow teats, excellent things and has made life so much better, but thanks for the suggestion
I spoke to the nurses who come to flush his Hickman line out on Thursday about my worries and they said I was feeding him too much, so I cut it down and he feeds much better now but he was only putting on 15gr a day on that amount so I suspect now I am feeding the nhs recommended amounts he will not gain weight so, we will see

I know it's hard but I'd say go with what you feel is right

Nurses/ midwives generally offer advice based on guidelines and not every baby follows the guidelines

If you're happier giving him more then do it, he will only bring up the excess xx

Would giving him less per feed but more frequently help? Toby wouldn't go four hours between feeds at that age, it's very little still, max I'd get was two hours.

As others have said go with what feels right xx

Would giving him less per feed but more frequently help? Toby wouldn't go four hours between feeds at that age, it's very little still, max I'd get was two hours.

As others have said go with what feels right xx

The longest Albert's ever gone was 3 hours, and that's only cos there wasn't a lot I could do on the motorway and God did he let us know about it :shock: By the time we managed to stop both me and the OH were totally frazzled lol.

The 3 hourly feeds feel right, the other night he went from 11.15pm til 6am!! The day after he wanted feeding every 2 hours I presume to make up for the night
He doesn't feed well at night, sleeps through feeds and very slow to take it

in the day he feeds more often and takes it very quick
Hope this is a good sign
Feels like we are finding our feet, likes and dislikes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back