counting movements

Sunshine_state

Reaction score
Had my 28 wk mw app today (even though i'm 29wks)

i asked if i should be counting baby's movements now and she said no. Just make sure baby following a regular pattern. if it changes contact mw. Is this correct ? not got alot of confidence in her unfortunately.

they change the rules all the time don't they! They changed it from counting movements to your baby having a pattern so now even if you feel 10+ movements if it is less than normal they advise you to call the midwife. hope that makes sense xx

I had mine yesterday and she told me at least 10 movements per day. and that the movementa u gwt where one follows the other quickly only counts as 1 movement not 2

My theory at this point is if max isn't moving as normal I'm going to be checked - midwife at docs every weds so if I'm concerned I can go there or maternity ward will alwys see us so just go by your own instincts

It does get confusing. I remember with my son i had a chart to record daily.movements but that was 11 yrs ago lol i think i will count the ten movements a day anyway for myself but make sure she staying in a regular pattern to.

her heartbeat sounded lovely today so i know she well and i'm measuring fine x

I also had an appt yesterday and she said about a regular pattern as well. I could get 10 movements in the first hour in the morning so I understand what she's saying x

My midwives stick to the 10 movement rule, which is fine for me as baby doesn't seem to have any pattern so I'd be down at the hospital every few days if I was relying on that.

This is stressing me out . Iv been told it had to be 10 movements within an hour , like once baby starts moving I need to count 10 movements in that hour ..! And it's stressing me out. When I'm really busy I don't be paying attention to movements and then worry all night if its moved enough or not :(

I was told baby has to move on 10 separate occasions in 24 hrs. I asked if it was normal to have a pattern as I don't think my baby has one and she said baby's change their pattern all the time so to just do the 24 hr thing. I think it's always a worry if they have quiet days tho even if they're actually moving but just not as much as normal. I hate it when she has quiet days, I'm constantly poking her, poor baby :-( x

I've heard as long as you feel movement every few hours but tbh I'd go off your baby's regular pattern. I feel little movements on and off throughout the day but as soon as night time comes (from about 7ish) its constant wriggles and attempts to burst out my stomach! If I had a night without that my instinct would tell me something was wrong. I couldn't even keep count if I tried plus every baby is different as long as you don't notice a decrease everything is fine xx

Girls the main thing is what seems normal ffor your baby. If it'soving about then no problems I wouldn't worry counting as you may miss stuff when busy but if notice not moving as much as normal ring them xx

Yeah, what's normal for one baby is totally different for another.

The one time I called about reduced movement was cos I hadn't felt her kick during my dance class. DD loved music as a bump (still does!) and that was really really unusual for her.

Some folk will feel significantly less movement due to placental position etc, so they tend to advocate 'what's normal for you' now rather than a specific number.

If in doubt endulge in chocolate - sugar and cold should get them going.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I was told to call with reduced or changed movement and this was reiterated in my antenatal class last night. They said it's you that can tell if it's changed. In fact she said report if you suddenly get loads and sually get little . It's such a grey area I think. I could be phoning them all the time as everytime I think there's a, pattern it changes again a few days later!!
I think instinct plays a bit part and if in doubt you call.
My mw originally said if you think baby is quiet sit quietly for an hour, if there's nothing then call labour ward.
Xx

I couldnt actually tell u when baby should move. Shd serms to do her own thing. I usually feel in morning and eveni g when im quiet and lie down x

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

i don't count my babys movements as that would be impossible as he moves and kicks so much its hard to keep track. All my midwife asks me is if im feeling regular movement and if theres a pattern. there doesn't seem to be a pattern for me as he kicks and move on and off throughout the day and night so its hard to note a specific pattern. My midwife said that is his pattern and not to worry as long as im feeling regular movement. So as long as you can feel regular movements then that's fine hun xx

Thanks ladies.

Seems we all told different ways. I am feeling her regular, so all well. Will just follow mw advice then. Not sure i could keep track of her movements through the day anyway x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back