Counselling?

CDx

Reaction score
I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this but feel I need to let this out somehow.

While 16 weeks pregnant my uncle passed away. My son is 10 months old tomorrow and I still get random waves of overwhelming grief it's like it just hits me he isn't here anymore and it absolutely breaks my heart. I'm so gutted that my son will never meet the person his name is in tribute to. It still doesn't feel real to me at all even though it's been over a year.

I've considered speaking to my GP to be referred for bereavement counselling but I don't know if they would consider it's too late or think it's related to post natal hormones. I'm not depressed I know that, I know I'm doing the best I can do for my son and coping well with daily life. I just didn't expect it to still hurt this much. I literally think and speak about my uncle every single day. I cry at least once a week. Is this 'normal'? Should I speak to someone?

Sorry for venting but I just needed to offload and I'm home alone since my OH is working away.

Hi there

Your health visitor can refer you for counselling while your baby is under 1 years old. After that you have to go through the doctor. Alternatively, you could just go through your doctor.

From what you've said, I think you would find counselling beneficial. It sounds like you were close to your uncle and his death has hit you hard. I don't think there is any 'normal' defined for grief, but if you're crying once a week then I think it would be helpful to have someone help you through this as it sounds like you are suffering badly.

Take care hun xx

Hi, sorry to hear you're feeling this way hun *hugs*. Counselling was really beneficial for me and helped me lots, I would go docs asap as there is a waiting list or alternatively you can fund it yourself and get an appointment straight away x

So sorry for your loss. Counselling can definitely be beneficial. When my dad was diagnosed with a recurrence of his cancer last summer, I felt overwhelming anxiety and sadness and decided to ask the GP about counselling. I was referred to a counsellor and it was definitely the best thing for me. I felt so much better just being able to talk to someone outside the family about how I was feeling and not have to worry about making anyone else upset. I still have access to the counsellor if I want, which is good to know too.

Thanks ladies.
We were very close and went to the football together every other Saturday. He has 2 young kids so I try my best to keep strong for them I really can't imagine how they deal with it all.
I've never seen my health visitor since my son was 6 weeks old so think a GP would be the best route but I might give her a call just to check in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back