Couldn't get NT measurements at 12 week scan, what happens next?

ams25

Reaction score
Hi girls

I am overjoyed that my 12 week scan went perfectly, we have the most wriggly active little baby doing jumps and turning over for us! Such a relief.

Unfortunately the little monkey wouldn't get into a good position for the NT measurements so they couldn't get them. I thought they would offer mw another scan but they said the next scam will be 20 weeks and all they can offer now is the 16 week triple blood test. Has anyone got experience of this? I'm unsure about it as she said it's only 73% accurate and a higher rate of false positive, and I know I'd never have an amnio anyway so it might cause unnecessary worry. Plus 16 weeks I feel is a lot further on in the pregnancy to make a decision... I don't think we would terminate no matter what anyway, but at 16 weeks it's so much harder.

I am debating just going for the Harmony NIPT test now if we can get one next week, if they aren't closed between xmas /new year. It's £400 we don't really have but will it be money well spent if it takes away the worry?

Any experiences or advice appreciated! Xx

What a pain! If you don't think you'd terminate anyway then it does seem like a lot of money to pay out. How about getting a private scan with NT measurements? It would cost a lot less than 400 pounds, although it won't give you definite results like Harmony test would. Sorry I'm not much help, I think only you can decide what you need for peace of mind. I wasn't even sure about getting the NT measurement thing done because I felt like it wouldn't change anything so what's the point when it's not even definitive. It's all completely personal though. xx

Thanks so much lovely I didn't even know it was an option to get a private NT scan so il look into that :) we really can't afford the Harmony at the moment, the TV's just packed in so need to pay for that, so might just trust that we'll get the baby were meant to get! Xx

Couldn't get NT measurement with my daughter. Was happy just to go with blood test as I would just want to prepare. You should do whatever feels right for you. X

Private scan is a great idea, at least then you can better evaluate whether it's worth forking out for the harmony.. If you're confident it wouldn't make a difference then i'd be inclined to say don't bother at all and wait for the bloods! Surprised they didn't offer you a re-scan though.. xx

Hi ams, I had this with my youngest. I was also surprised that they didn't offer to rescan, budget's tight I guess. Anyway I had the blood test at 16 weeks & got a 1 in 10,000 risk. With my eldest where we had NT & bloods I got a risk of 1 in 100,000. So it was more of a risk without the NT but still well into low risk x

NT scan is only 85% anyway, so it's not massively less. If you're thinking of a private scan, they need to do the measurements before 14+1

Thanks girls, im 14+2 now so too late for a private scan anyway with Christmas being in the way so I think we might have the 16 week bloods and then do Harmony test only if a problem is suspected. You girls have been really helpful at putting my panicking mind at ease so thankyou xxx

Hi hun i asdume you are referring to the downs syndrome measurement? At my 12 week scan the baby was so llonghe/she was out of the range where they can do the measurement (45mm-80mm....mine was 81mm ....they put me forward to 14 weeks but I know I was no more than 13 weeks)....anyway I had to have the bloods done instead at 16 weeks...had them done last week so just waiting for the results xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back