Cotton Nappies

bagpuss

Reaction score
:dance: Hello!! :dance:

I thought that this may be the best place to ask this question,as I am hoping that some of you will have had experience with them.....

As I am concerned about environmental issues,I will be using cotton nappies on my little Finn. I also love the thought of a line of freshly washed nappies drying on the line :)

The only problem that I have is that there are so many to chose from,I have become confused. :cry: I have some of the terry squares,but I would also like to try some of the pre folded type.

Can anyone recommend any in particular,or any pros and cons of the different types that are available....I am looking to purchase them this week,so any help,tips and advice would be great!

Bagpuss xx

Recently lots of people are saying that the environmental impact of the extra washing/detergents/power use negates any positive environmental impact of using re-uable nappies.

I don't know how true that is though.

I tried washable nappies with Mason but he peed such a lot they just got absolutley soaked through in an hour or 2, literally dripping wet .....He got bad nappy rash and I gave up on them.

They might be better now though.

Hi, will try and give you a quick run down of each type but am not too familiar with some of them.

Terries - these are the ones most people think of when thinking of reusables. They consist of a square peice of terry towelling which is folded into shape and secured with either a nappy pin or a nippa grippa (much easier and safer than a pin). These are then covered by a wrap or plastic pants. This is usually the cheapest option.

Pre-folds - main brands for these are bambino mios or cotton bottoms. Consists of a flat nappy (looks a bit like a thick dishcloth) that is folded and placed inside a wrap, which is a waterproof outer that is shaped like a disposable. The fold is different for boys and girls. Time is needed to fold them (it takes me about 5 mins now to do a whole load), and it can be fiddly at first but you quickly get the hang of them. When nappy is soiled you just take out the prefold part and put a clean one into the wrap, unless the wrap is dirty which is quite rare. Washing is easy, just pop into washing machine and these can be line dried or put on an airer, dry pretty quickly.

Shaped nappies - most well known brand of these is tots bots (a scottish company). This consists of a shaped terry towelling nappy with an absorbnt pad inside which can be folded at either the front or middle to provide more absorbancy for boys or girls. Then a wrap is placed over this. Easy to use, no folding required, and easy to wash. Again when nappy is soiled take off dirty nappy, put on clean one and put wrap on. Takes slightly longer to dry as they are a bit thicker. Looks the nicest in my opinion especially the rainbow tots bots. Another negative is that these can make babies bum a bit more bulkier but I have not had too many probs with this.

Allin one - this is the nappy and wrap all together. brands such as motherease. The closest to a disposable it is the easiest type to use in the sense that as it is all in one you just put it on like a disposable. However i think the biggest drawback is the drying time, these take ages due to the size of them.

There are other types but these are the types I am most familiar with. TI use the prefolds (mios) and the shaoped (tots bots) and I love both these types. I find them very easy to use and like you love a line of clean nappies. The best thing you can do is try different types to find the ones that suit you and your lifestyle the best. Research has pointed out that enviromentally there is no difference but this was very flawed research funded by companies who make disposables.The reusable group in the study was very small and it was based on them washing the nappies at 60 degrees and tumble drying them. I wash all mine on 40 degrees and they always come up lovely and white. I have not had any leakages apart from two poos that no nappy reusable or disposable would have contained. Seren has never had nappy rash and i like the idea that there are no chemicals next to her skin. i will post pics tomorrow of the nappies i use. any more info just contact me xx

:) Cheers for the replies,and thanks for your run down and opinion,Beanie.I was very impresssed with the look of the tots bots ones,I am pleased that you say they are great - someone I know said that they use the Motherease ones as they are so simple,but said the same about the drying time.
You say that Seren has never had nappy rash - do you use those booster inserts thingys,or what liner do you use if any??

Bagpuss xx

i found terries way too big for ewan as a new born - even with different folds. he fits in to them now - just seemt o be chaning him every hour of of a pain - i wanted to use banbino mio nappies but granny went and bought us terries without asking so not thrilled with terris but they do the job.
i've started using wraps and a folded terry this works better with ewan - now his poo is a bit firmer!

My cousin gave us some cotton bottom ones for Heidi and I must admit we havent even tried them cos she was so small. But looking at the long term cost I may give them a go.

She really recommended them tho.
L x

Right, have managed to take some pics of Seren today in her mios. Will put tots bots on her tomorrow (she is in bed at the mo).

These are the mios, as you can see there is the actual nappy which is the rectangular cloth, the wrap which looks like a nappy and the liner. You can buy liners in mothercare etc. I use the same liners for the tots bots too, it is a flushable liner.
S4020546.jpg

I have folded the nappy up, this is the girls fold so that there is the thicker part in the middle to be more absorbant, the boys fold means that there is more at the front. If you get mios there is a little booklet with all the different folds in. I then wrap the liner around the nappy as I find this easiest. (This is how I store all my nappies in my nappy boxes and changing bag, find it lots easier then having to fold one every time she needs changing).
S4020547.jpg

Then the nappy and liner go into the wrap, this is then put on Seren like a disposable.
S4020548.jpg

And here is Seren in her mio nappy. The one she is wearing has jungle animals on, she also has plain white ones.

seren069.jpg

When changing her I take out the dirty nappy and wrap. Flush away the liner and put nappy in a bucket (I dry pail mine unless they are heavily soiled). I then put a clean nappy in the same wrap unless that has also been soiled. I can use one wrap for one day usually.

Like I said I will post the tots one tomorrow. If Seren is going to be sleeping in these I will use a booster pad, with a liner around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back