Cots/Mattresses/buggies - Help!!

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi

I hope noone minds, I posted this on the 2nd Tri forum but wondered if anyone here can give some advice as well?

I'm going to the Glasgow Pram Centre on Saturday to have a look at the different prams/pushchairs/travel systems etc but I was wondering if anyone had any good advice of what to look for? I'd like the baby to lay flat and we also use the car quite a bit so I'm thinking a travel system will be best for us?

Cots - I've seen a couple I really like, but I'm confused about the benefit of having one where the sides come down opposed to fixed?

Mattresses - there seems to be loads and loads to choose from! How did you decide on yours?
Are you all using a crib or moses basket when the baby is newborn or straight into the cot? Does anyone know if you can use Growbags from birth or are blankets best until 3months?

Sorry to sound so clueless - I'd really like to choose the bits we need and want but am so confused at the moment!

Thanks

Lucy
25+3

Hi,

Well originally I was going to go for a 'three wheeler' travel system type pram but with these the baby can only face outwards and I wanted to be able to see my baby when pushing the pram, so, in the end we went for a pramette travel system. We got ours second hand but its originally from mamas and papas.
It has a 'traditional pram' type attachment, car seat and buggy/pushchair attachment.
It will last up to three years of age and you can see the baby at all times.
I guess it comes down to preference really but I thought these were alot more practical.
My friend went for a three wheeler and she hasnt been able to use hers as the baby is too small for it.

I will be having a moses basket for the first 6 weeks or so, mainly because I think its good to have the baby in with mum and dad. Easier for feeding and peace of mind. Plus I know I will be worried about baby if its in a cot straight away.

I have a cot bed, again this was second hand but it will last for a few years and that will save some money which is always good!

As for matresses, I cant really advice about this as we were given ours.

Hope this helps a little bit.

I too was really confused on the pram front, it was worse then buying a car. In the end we got a gracco quotro travel system, orange, black and silver. I wanted a 3 wheeler but the wheel bases are quite long and although I have quite a big boot I thought I'd struggle fitting it in. I use my car alot so I had to bear this in mind when choosing, and thats why I went for a travel system.

As for the moses basket/crib, I want baby in with us for as long as possible. Both me and OH are tall so we got a crib as I thought baby would grow out of a moses basket really quickly. I got a crib for £29.99 from kiddicare.com and it is brilliant - one of my best buys. My MIL bought the crib matress, it is one of those sleepsafe ones, where it is shaped to prevent baby's head growing funny - not too sure what the real medical term is. As for the cot matress we will just go with a nice comfy one that looks like it will last a while as I have got a cot/bed. Not too sure about the grobags though but would be interested in knowing more.

Hi,

it's so confusing and I guess everyone has their opinion! I think the best advice is to think about what will suit you and your family best.

I've gone for a cot with drop down sides because I'm only 5ft and so don't want to end up hurting my back trying to lift my baby in and out of something too high for me. I've gone for a basic foam mattress but have got this special mattress wrap from New Zealand that is designed to reduce cot death because it forms a barrier beween the chemicals in the mattress and the baby. You're supposed to use this with 100% cotton bedding so that's what I've gone for too. Not sure what to believe in terms of all of the safety tips regarding bedding etc but that's what I've decided after a lot of thought!

Also I have gone for the baby grobags. Partly as a safety issue (they can't wriggle down into them and get too hot), partly because they are supposed to sleep better as they don't toss off the bedding, also because I think it will make my baby in the cot feel a bit more secure in case it feels big for them (might swaddle right at the beginning though). I've got one for newborn size and 4 in the 0-3 month size, if you get them on ebay you can get new ones or almost new much cheaper than from the website although the website does have special offers.

Buggy wise we don't have a car so we have a car seat for when we're in other people's cars and taxis but most of the time I'll be using public transport and walking. We live in a city and I can get all of the shoppping I need within 10 mins walk from my front door so I'm very lucky in that respect. I have two types of baby carrier- a traditional three position baby carrier that my husband has his eye on and a more hippy type sling for quick trips out to get stuff. Apart from that I got a buggy that is suitable from birth as it goes flat which folds up easily for getting on and off buses and trains with- Chicco London Winter or something like that, it has a velcro foot cosy thing and a raincover etc.

I think it's a really personal thing to be honest so just go with whatever will suit your new family's lifestyle best!

+++

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies, reading what helped make your minds up really hel
ps me to try and narrow down what is best for us!

Lulu - I'm with you that I definately want the baby facing me at first. I suppose if I get a moses basked I'll also be able to have the baby having a nap in teh same room as me during the day? (or perhaps it's better to get the baby used to going in a separate room away from noise?)

Beanie - Grobags look like the top of a pair of dungarees (but with poppers at the top instead of hooks) with the bottom looking like a sleeping bag, idea is that the baby can't get the covers over it's head and should also keep the temperature constant.
Thanks for website - I'll have a look at the cribs

Rosebay - Thanks for the tips on grobags, I was unsure if you could use them on newborns but now you've confirmed we can I'll definately get some.

Sarah - your Gracco travel system looks lovely, will the baby lie flat in the snug insert?

Thanks again

Lucy
25 + 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back