Cot top changers - yay or nay?

Laura1992

Reaction score
I am just starting to decorate babies' room and space is a bit tight once I've got wardrobe, cot bed, chest of drawers in there. I am wondering about getting a cot top changer because I don't think I'll fit a changing table in and I'm not convinced they are that useful once baby can roll over (my friend's baby launched himself off one while she was stood there in front of him getting the nappy ready).

Anyone used a cot top one? xx

TBH I don't think it would get a lot of use. Baby will be in your room for a while anyway. We just had a changing mat on the bed. And then once baby starts sleeping through people generally don't carry on changing through the night (unless you need to).
And if your like me you will be downstairs most of the time in the day. We have ikea kallax units and just put baby on top of them in the day. They're fine as long as baby isn't left alone obviously. X

I have one, and although I have a moses basket on our room at the moment i still take him to the cot top changer at night as it's prefect height and just makes my life easy if he decides to go for a wee. I do have a mat for downstairs too though.

our cotbed came with one and i used it quite a few times, generally change her on the floor now (9m) in the mornings before nursery as she gets a bit wriggly !

Thanks for replies. I am going to go for it as their room is downstairs and they won't be sharing a room with us as unfortunately there isn't a bedroom big enough in the house for two adults and two babies. xxx

I didn't have one but I had a chest of drawers with changer top and I've never used that. I've just never felt comfortable with them and especially once baby starts to roll I don't think they're safe so I just put a changing mat on the floor xx

I did the same as Browneyed girl. Changing mag on top of drawers that never got used. Our bed/floor was just easier. You will have so much crap cluttering the place up (especially with two). I wouldn't bother. X

Our cot has two heights that the matress can got at. When they are small it is high and still has a smaller rail around. I found that perfect as it was safe to let them roll about but high enough that it was more comfortable to use than the bed or floor. Between about 5 and 6 months they could pull themselves up to standing on the bars so I had to lower the mattress. Ours were early rollers so I don't think I would have gotten much use out of a changing table. I'd be inclined to say its not worth to get one. On the other hand if you have a bad back for example and find it hard to bend over or sit on the floor it might be your favourite thing in the world!

Cot top changer was great for us- ours had sides and a pull out shelf.... technically you shouldn't use either a cot top changer or changing unit when babies start to roll properly so technically you should get similar life out of it x

No I meant I'd get the cot top one because it's cheaper and takes up less space which is good as I won't use it after they can roll! Not that the cot top one would have a longer "shelf life"x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back