cot or crib??

Manda&Thomas

Reaction score
ive always said il get a crib first then a cot but now im thinking i might just get a cot first.
what are you getting and why see if you can help me deside :)
manda xx

I am going to put the baby straight into a cot in a grobag (to avoid the risk of him/her wriggling down under the covers).
Planning on getting a pram with a carrycot, so will use the carry cot for daytime naps so baby can be in the living room with me.

I had a moses basket for James and it cost £30 for the basket, and another £20 for the stand, and he was only in it for 3 months.

I think cribs cost upwards from £50 and only last 6 months so I personally think they're a waste of money. Also you can't move them around the house like a moses basket.
If you're not planning on going for a carrycot, I'd consider getting a moses basket as they're more portable.

i have a crib and a cot but im gettin rid of the crib coz its pointless. can only use it til its 5/6 months anyway. xx

I've been given a crib, which is superb as my little guy is still using his cot at the moment. I have to say, I didn't even think about getting a crib with Harry. I have a moses basket which is good for moving about the place and once the cot was in our room I just popped him in there in the moses basket. They always look so tiny when you move them into the cot on their own for the first time!

I'm glad I've got this crib though, because hopefully it'll give Harry will have outgrown his cot by the time baby is 6 months so we can transfer baby to cot and harry to bed.....although I do realise things never go to plan :?

i am getting a carrycot :) but im funny i hate babys sleeping in them unless we are out with the pram obvirously :)
i defo dont want a moses basket might go for a cot in the end as room aint a problem and ive seen a really cool thing that blocks off most of the cot so baby cant wriggle down (also dont like them sleeping bags things)
i think as im so picky a cot maybe best for me
thanks for the insite :)
manda xx

My Aunt is buying us a crib which will be in our bedroom, and we're getting a carrycot with the pram so it can sleep downstairs if needed and then the cot in the nursery.

I'm just getting a cot this time... I got a moses basket last time and TBH Tia wasn't in it five minutes... :roll: I think we had it all of 4 weeks and then she got moved into the cot. Cribs/moses baskets are a waste of money if you ask me.... your gona need that money for more important things like nappies and clothes anyway...

We got a travel cot free with points from our bank... and I will have that in the living room during the day and use it like a playpen/nap area... You don't want to be putting the baby down for naps in the same place they go to sleep... they get confused with day and night.

manda224 said:
i am getting a carrycot :) but im funny i hate babys sleeping in them unless we are out with the pram obvirously :)
i defo dont want a moses basket might go for a cot in the end as room aint a problem and ive seen a really cool thing that blocks off most of the cot so baby cant wriggle down (also dont like them sleeping bags things)
i think as im so picky a cot maybe best for me
thanks for the insite :)
manda xx

Don't they tell you to put the baby foot to foot anymore? like put the baby in the cot so it's feet are touching the bottom of the cot so it can't wriggle down? :think: That's what I did with Tia... save you from buying something that blocks off the cot... go buy a nice pretty out fit with that money... :)

We're buying both. The baby will be in the crib in our room for the first few months and then when we decide to move him/her into their own room they will have the cot :)

yer they do still tell you that :)
just thought the blocking off thing was a good idea lol think i just like buying things :)
not sure what im going to get for the baby to sleep in during the day yet havant found anything i really like :(
thanks all for the advice :)
manda xx

I've got a second hand moses basket for downstairs (going to get a new mattress though). And I've bought a swinging crib for next to our bed. The baby won't be in it long but there isn't room for a cot in our room and I want the baby with us while I breast feed. I also liked the idea that it can swing!

The cot will come later but we haven't spent a fortune and will sell what we have so will get some money back.

I have both!

Moses basket was 2nd hand - bought a new matress for it. Its on a rocking stand. I will use this for the first few months while the baby is in our room.
We also have a cotbed as part of nursery furniture set.

Ive been given a cot and my dad made a crib for me and my sisters when we were born so im using that to. its gorgeous it swings from side to side and it has a duck carved in the side!

ive got a crib and a moses basket. the crib was half price in derry's and is gorgeous so i HAD to get it, came with all the bedding, drapes etc so was a bargain. my OH's mum had a baby ealier this yr so we've got her moses basket and stand but if we hadnt got the crib n basket for so little we would've got a cotbed, just because it will last till toddler stage and u can get em for 100, or less if u go in the sales (i.e. after xmas, we're hoping to get one cheaper then hehe)

I brought a pram for Tia... I think I used it.. er... twice.. perhaps.. Big heavy clumsy awkward thing it was.. I ended up strapping her to my chest like dynamite and she loved it.. :D

just a cot here, moses basket first obviously but I ain't bought that yet :lol:

Im having all 3 :rotfl: Ive got the moses basket after the girls, so that for bedroom, crib in lounge and cot in the nursery :oops:

ive got my crib from when i was born to go in our bedroom and he;ll ahve a cot in his room

so i cant put him for naps in his crib durring the day then ? what would i do put him in the cot in his room ? would that confuse things when its time for him to be in therre full time ?

i live in a flat so ive not many rooms lol

I was thinking moses basket for in the lounge when young, and a crib (as a cot wouldn't fit) in the bedroom... and then .. When it goes into its own room, one of those Cot-bed things...

Or is that just overkill?

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back