Cot mattresses

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by Geekachublog, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Geekachublog

Geekachublog Well-Known Member

How deep should a cot mattress be? We have a cot that was my nieces that my parents have given to us, but we wanted to buy a new mattress.
    I've had a little look on eBay, but I don't know what depth a good mattress should be for a cot, or what things I should look out for.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Ella1979

Ella1979 Well-Known Member

I think the general advice is always to buy a brand new mattress. We got ours from Mothercare and went with the best one we could afford - after all, babies do so much growing in the first few years and we wanted to make sure her back and neck were well supported.

As for depth, ours is approx. 10cm (I had to go measure it).

3. nikki_isme

nikki_isme Well-Known Member

There seem to be so many choices for something so simple! To be honest, for something like a mattress I would rather buy from a shop so I can see and feel it before I buy - you never know what you are getting from ebay and wouldn't want to risk a fake. God knows what they could have been sprayed with, and not gone through the proper safety checks. Babies R Us do really reasonably priced ones and they deliver.

There's a good guide here on Which? http://www.which.co.uk/baby-and-child/nursery-and-feeding/guides/choosing-a-cot/cot-mattresses/

4. Rachel80

Rachel80 Well-Known Member

I bought mine from mothercare, the lady talked me through the options & showed me them. I went for a breathable one with a removable washable cover which cost me approx £100. I think they start at about £40 though x