Cot bumpers

AmyQ

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

What is the opinion on cot bumpers? I've read how apparently dangerous they are but also that there are safe, breathable ones.

Evan is a wriggler in his cot and I keep waking up to find an arm hanging out of his cot. This is despite him being put feet to foot in the middle of the cot (I don't know how he does it lol).

Thanks xx

I got breathable ones from amazon and they're great! Our cot has bars at oth sides and Jules moves all over during the night so I'd hate for her to get an arm or leg stuck! Xx

Personally, I think saying they are dangerous is another case of health and safety gone mad. I will be getting them for definite xx

I've ordered some airwrap one and will see what they're like xx

I think the classic ones are dangerous in-case of suffocation (personally I wouldn't take the chance)

The breathable ones eliminate that risk though!

James sleeps in a bag and *touch wood* hasn't yet mastered the art of rolling around / getting his arms stuck.

If I put him in his cot in the day he'll have his arms and legs caught within minutes (sometimes I put the mobile on and throw a few toys in if I need to keep him "enclosed" for a few mins!)

xxxxxx

I was wondering about this as with the hot nights Harry has been sleeping out of his bag and sticking his legs out the cot. But, then it's not likely to stay hot for long, so maybe I'll just deal with it until it's cool enough to put him back in the bag... Still, good to know about the breathable ones as they sound good :) xx

I think the old style ones are dangerous and they don't allow air to circulate but we have the breathable air wraps and I like them xx

I have the air wrap too on our cot bed and think its fab. X

tapatalking

We used the old style ones with no issue - not sure how there's a problem with them??? It's not like they go completely around the entire cot. I did also try some breathable ones and they were fine too.

Another fan of the airwrap here, we had an old fashioned one but it made me paranoid so I took it off! X

We used a traditional style cot bumper as Ethan went into his cot early at 7 weeks and wanted to make him feel as cuddly ad secure as possible. As soon as he started moving around, rolling and exploring, I took it off straight away and he now has nothing. Think he was about 5/6 months when I took it off xx

We have a regular bumper. Cam does acrobatics in his sleep tho and ive often found him upside down, wrong way round so it doesn't really make a difference tbh!

XX

We have a lovely pink padded bumper, buts its a breathable one from Summer Infant. So you can have best of both worlds! We bought air wrap but have never had it on

Not sure if anyone here is a member of the About.com baby boards? A lady there had a cot bumper and her four and a half month old rolled into it and suffocated, they found him when he hadn't woken for his usual feed, still smooshed into the bumper. I will never, ever forget her firstmessage to us after it happened. And I will never ever use a fabric bumper.

I have tge air wrap but have not used it yet.

another fan of the airwrap here. also they can't pull themselves up using it either as it just collapses!

Not sure if anyone here is a member of the About.com baby boards? A lady there had a cot bumper and her four and a half month old rolled into it and suffocated, they found him when he hadn't woken for his usual feed, still smooshed into the bumper. I will never, ever forget her firstmessage to us after it happened. And I will never ever use a fabric bumper.

I have tge air wrap but have not used it yet.

And this is the reason I won't use anything. I did buy a bedding set with a bumper included with full intention of using it. But since H arrival I'm too scared :( I would much rather run the risk of him hurting, even breaking a bone than run the risk of finding him suffocated :'( bones can heal.

Xxxx

When I went baby shopping, I was clueless and bought cot sheets, duvet, pillows, bumpers etc thinking 'oh wouldn't the cot look so pretty?' When I was told I couldn't use any of that other than the fitted sheet I was heartbroken. Oh well I'm storing the duvet/pillow set for when she's old enough to be in a bed. The bumpers will be put on once to get a photo and then I'll try and find another use for them.

Talulah, that story is so sad, I hadn't realised quite how dangerous they were. Thanks for sharing.
Xxx

When I went baby shopping, I was clueless and bought cot sheets, duvet, pillows, bumpers etc thinking 'oh wouldn't the cot look so pretty?' When I was told I couldn't use any of that other than the fitted sheet I was heartbroken. Oh well I'm storing the duvet/pillow set for when she's old enough to be in a bed. The bumpers will be put on once to get a photo and then I'll try and find another use for them.

Talulah, that story is so sad, I hadn't realised quite how dangerous they were. Thanks for sharing.
Xxx

I know I was the same. The cot looks bare with jusy a fitted sheet and the air wraps. Bit better to be safe than sorry and all that.

I also took all mine back but did have a set on her crib which was fine as she wasnt moving at all when in there. Ive got pretty drapes on her cot now to try and make it look more girly xx

tapatalking

I have never used bumpers for any of my 4 children, regardless of any h&s risks I actually don't like them. Cots look better to me with just a nice mobile and a beautiful baby :) x

tapatalkin

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back