cot bed, crib or moses basket

Blueclass

Reaction score
Hi I'm trimester hopping as I need some advice from mums that are nearly at the end of their pregnancies as I feel most of you will be prepared now.
Iv got a cot bed which can be used from birth but I'm not sure whether to use it from birth or should I buy a crib or moses basket? I got the cot bed as I felt it's better alue for money but worried about the cot as I don't know anyone that's used one from birth. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks xx

I used all 3 bt thats because I bought them... Next time I plan on using a crib(snuzpod) then a cot. Jackson outgrew his grib at 2m. Hes super long so he was in his cot from then.

We used the pram carrycot as a day bed. It was handy for me to get about the house and clean whilst bub was asleep.

A moses was nice but tbf next time round I wont bother. I ended up with no space.

xxxx

I've got a crib and a cotbed, only got the crib really because the cotbed won't fit easily in our bedroom for the first few months.

I had a crib in my bedroom - my kids were in there til 4/5 months. I also had a moses basket which I kept in my living room but dd was out of it at 9 weeks, and dd out of it by 6! I sold it after ds and I'm not using one this time round at all. I also have a cotbed which my eldest 2 have been kicked out of at around 2.5 for a younger sibling. This time I plan on keeping baby in until they're about 3.

I've got a moses basket again, we also have a carrycot for baby that fits onto the prak so can use that. We were going to use a crib but found the moses wpuld be more portable for overnight stays etx

My lo w sleeping in a carrycot next to bed but daytime for plays and kicks he was going in a cotbed. Downside for carrycot or moses basket - after night feeds and night cuddles baby ended up in a bed between me and hubby, as he would sleep better next to me. But I couldnt sleep, as i was scared i could roll on him, ormy hubby wouldor SIDS. Babies generally sleep better next to mum. You cant set a musical mobile on carrycot. This time i bought snuzpod which attaches to bed. If you can put cotbed next to your bed and it is comfortable to get up and cuddle baby, than youdnt need carrycot or basket, as they will last for 3-4 month only.

If the cotbed can fit in your room then it's fine to use from birth. If not I would get a crib or basket for the first 6 months whilst baby is still in with you.

Thanks ladies it's great to hear how your all doing it as it's my first I don't really know what's best.

I'm also worried about SIDS but I guess if it happens it happens there's not much you can do? I didn't know if going straight in a cot bed increased the chances of this? I was looking at the next to me crib which says it reduces the chance of SIDS by 50%. But then it's more money and if I have a cot bed in my room then maybe use that. Arg i don't know this is so difficult making all these decisions x

I've just bought a troll bedside crib that can go next to my bed for £50 on eBay. We used a moses basket for the boys but they don't last very long really, plus you still have to lift them in and out whereas the crib will be at the same height as the bed so can just slide over xx

I have a chicco next to me crib (the co sleep ones) for this bub as mine all ended up sleeping in bed with me too!! It's really spacious and I have already used it with my 11 mth old when he was poorly and wanted to sleep with mummy xxx

That's the one I was looking at. Think I might just go with that then cot bed.

Thanks everyone xx

The best way to reduce sids is to place baby to sleep on his back, feet at bottom of cot\basket etc, in the same room as parents for 6 months. Using cellular blanket or sleep bag and nothing else. Not sure how they can claim the next to me crib reduces sids by 50%?

We have a Snuzpod for the first 6 months, which is next to our bed. Then a cot-bed in the nursery from 6 months +. Downstairs we'll be using the carry cot of our pram when needed, but generally I'll bring baby upstairs for sleep!

Thank you I will buy a crib to go next to my bed. Not sure how they can claim that, maybe il do more research xx

I think it has something to do with you being more aware of their breathing xx

Baby learns to regulate its breathing and temp which promotes steady heart rate etc when placed next to you in a normal crib or cosleeper. But better closer.

Co sleeper allows for you to be closer to baby as and when needed.

Im going with the snuz pod next time as we have had a crib.

Co sleeping was kinda still frowned upon when I had my first and there werent alot of co sleeping options. I like the idea of settling from beside bub. The snuz pod is lovely, and you can take the top part off which is good. The chicco next to me is nice too. Both spcious.

xxxx

Last edited:
Whether it's a Snuzpod or Chicco, bedside cribs of those designs are safer ways to co-sleep. Personally we opted for the Snuzpod as we saw the Chicco one in Mothercare, which I'd originally set my heart on after all the adverts they did on TV, and was really disappointed with the materials used and how flimsy and wobbly it was. It just didn't seem safe at all!

I want the snuz pod for stability and design too. I think the chicco looks more like a travel cot, than a crib too.

The bed nest I think looks like a troph. Spose Jesus slept in one, but I didnt like them.

Plus a baby had an indicent on the side zip and died, parents apparently put baby on the front but knowing that I wouldnt buy or rent the bed nest.

xxxx

Yeh it was such a tragic accident and I can't imagine how the parents feel, but it definitely would put me off of going for that particular brand/make! Esp as tests after ruled the design of the actual Nest wasn't safe enough.

I adore our Snuzpod, can't wait to have baby in it! Esp love the handy shelf underneath!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back