COST

hi i was wondering if anyone could help me, i am 17 and just found out i am pregnant, even though i am keeping the baby i am worried about the price of it all, how much do you think a baby costs a week to make sure it is happy and cared for also what stuff will i need to get before the baby gets here

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

It's such a hard question as a baby can cost as much or as little as you like. In the early days it would save you money if you breastfeed, unless you are on any benefits and can get free formula. The only other expense is nappies which are expensive. You can get washable ones now which cost upfront but then thats it until the baby grows a bit.

You will probably find that once friends and family find out they will start donating things to you like clothes, cots, pushchairs etc. Babygrows etc are pretty cheap nowadays so maybe but the odd one or two every so often during the rest of your pregnancy, as with vests and cardi's which you will need from the early days.

A lot of people spend loads on equipment which you don't really need, you can make do without things like changing mats and top and tail bowls by using a towel and any plastic dish.

Let us know how you get on.

Much love

I would say that it will cost as much or as less as you want, If you are on benefits you can get a grant for free foe 800 pound that will be a big help xx

make sure you will ge all of the benefits your entitled too!

Ebay is a great place to buy bits on a budget, im definately going to! you can set up an account and many let you pay by postal order etc or credit card/cehque if your parents will let you use it.

the biggest and most expensive things are going to be the Cot, and the buggy though both together can cost you as little as £150. you can look in the local paper also for seconds, but with a cot you always need a new matress!

best to get yourself some baby catalogues, magazines or home shopping catalogues off a friedn just to work out the cost etc. Ive got mine on Excel where ive listed things and put the price next to it of what ive found!

benfits you will/may get are

child benefit £16.05 a week
child tax credit
working tax credit

others
JSA (16-17) or (18+)
Income upport (16+)
£500 sure start maternity grant
housing benefit
counil tax benefit
social fund -grant or loan

other maternity benefits available to previous workers or existing employees

You'll get plenty of stuff for your baby shower? Are you gonna have one?

nikki where are you from. People dont throw baby showers here. But I read some people have actually start to do them here, maybe americans moving over, Maybe in another 20 years!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back