Cosleeping?

When I was pregnant I always insisted I wasn't going to co-sleep. However after having had the baby I almost fell asleep feeding her one night on the arm chair and that scared the crap out of me. So I read up on safe co-sleeping and spoke to some ladies here and changed a few of the things I do. Every night I put lo in the cot and when I do the night feed if I'm too tired to do it without falling asleep, I put my dressing gown on, take the pillows and duvet away from the bed, swaddle baby and breast feed her whist she's in the crook of my arm. There's no way she can suffocate nor can I roll on top of her without snapping my arm and hubby can't roll on top of her without getting my elbow in his face. I think like others have said as long as its done properly then it's fine and actually a very natural way to sleep.

To be honest I think articles like this are disgraceful. Parents have so much to feel guilty about already and for some people co sleeping is a necessity. For those saying its because they want extra sleep or too lazy to get out of bed unless you have had a baby with severe reflux (or other issues) where they are screaming and screaming and sleeping for 30 minute sessions at a time its for SANITYS sake that its better to cosleep imo. G when first born would scream approx 17 hours a day. Not crying SCREAMING. and so we practised safe cosleeping when necessary as running round after a toddler during the day and otherwise having maybe 2 hours broken sleep was MORE dangerous for my toddler and my baby. I think articles like this should be banned in many ways and that there should be more understanding that for soe people its NECESSARY and should educate people on how to co sleep SAFELY.

I have no objection to anyone co sleeping but for me I want baby in Moses basket by bed. That said iv seen the nct think it's called nest? Whereyou have cot at same level as bed but stops u n baby rrolling that would be best of both wouldn't it really. It's hard for me to set hard and fast rules as I am a first time mum I used to be funny when oh was away on business n the pet bunnies slept in our room to keep me company I forgot one night to shut the cage properly and they ended up all snuggled on my bed since then and being pregnant I often nap with my eldest rabbit next to me on the sofa in afternoon but I don't worry about rolling onto him (he is 11 and snoozes too with me bless him) so I guess it's no diff.

its deffo safer to co sleep than to accidentally fall asleep from exhaustion, co sleeping, especially if bf is sometimes necessary so i did it on rare occasions so i could have proper rest

I am totally against it.

yes most babies that cosleep will be fine. But there is the occasional tragedy. I am a police officer and have seen it twice in a 6 year career so far where a Mum has squished the baby whilst co-sleeping. SO IT DOES HAPPEN!

why risk it? you not only mourn the loss of your child, but you have to live with the guilt that it was your fault. I just couldnt imagine how that feels. And to make sure I never found out I didnt co-sleep. Simple

To be honest I think articles like this are disgraceful. Parents have so much to feel guilty about already and for some people co sleeping is a necessity. For those saying its because they want extra sleep or too lazy to get out of bed unless you have had a baby with severe reflux (or other issues) where they are screaming and screaming and sleeping for 30 minute sessions at a time its for SANITYS sake that its better to cosleep imo. G when first born would scream approx 17 hours a day. Not crying SCREAMING. and so we practised safe cosleeping when necessary as running round after a toddler during the day and otherwise having maybe 2 hours broken sleep was MORE dangerous for my toddler and my baby. I think articles like this should be banned in many ways and that there should be more understanding that for soe people its NECESSARY and should educate people on how to co sleep SAFELY.

You're right, it is sometimes necessary and I certainly felt at times that it was for my sanity's sake xxx

I am totally against it.

yes most babies that cosleep will be fine. But there is the occasional tragedy. I am a police officer and have seen it twice in a 6 year career so far where a Mum has squished the baby whilst co-sleeping. SO IT DOES HAPPEN!

why risk it? you not only mourn the loss of your child, but you have to live with the guilt that it was your fault. I just couldnt imagine how that feels. And to make sure I never found out I didnt co-sleep. Simple

I respect your point of view and can certainly understand why you would feel that way if you have seen occasions where it has ended in tragedy. But I would add that MOST babies that sleep in a cot are fine but some aren't yet nobody goes around saying its not safe to put babies in a cot or making parents feel guilty if their child is a victim of SIDS because they were in a cot... It's maybe a bit harsh to say that if a child falls victim to SIDS whilst cosleeping that the parent should feel guilty as its their fault, since SIDS can occur for no obvious reason at all it's not necessarily the parent's fault, the same outcome may have occurred if the baby had been in a cot xxx

I am totally against it.

But being so exhausted you cant drive safely but have to...... cook dinner...entertain a toddler..... were there extenuating circunstances to those 2 deaths...alcohol .... drugs of ANY description...smoking

Did they practise safe cosleeping ... etc etc....

I think unless youve been in a situation of BEING DESPERATE then I think its easier to judge one way or an9ther

The countries where cosleeping is normal sids deaths lower

I am totally against it.

But being so exhausted you cant drive safely but have to...... cook dinner...entertain a toddler..... were there extenuating circunstances to those 2 deaths...alcohol .... drugs of ANY description...smoking

Did they practise safe cosleeping ... etc etc....

I think unless youve been in a situation of BEING DESPERATE then I think its easier to judge one way or an9ther

trust me, I have been desperate! my LO still doesnt sleep through and she is nearly 8mnths. I know what sleepless nights are like. although I dont also have a toddler to entertain.

and I am not talking about SIDS really, I am talking about accidents where the parent has rolled onto the baby, and killed it. So no, it wouldnt have happened if the baby was in a cot!

and in these cases there was no alcohol involved, no obesity, smoking etc etc. Just downright utter tragedies.

its a risk I just wouldnt take.

I suppose like so many things it comes down to what each individual parent believes poses the greatest and the least risk. Yes there's a small risk with co sleeping that the parent could roll onto the baby. But on the flip side of the coin there's a small risk that if baby is sleeping in a cot the parents may not be so aware if they were to get into difficulty or become ill (there is evidence to suggest that cosleeping helps to regulate a baby's breathing). Additionally like others have said there's a risk that if you are totally exhausted you may fall asleep with the baby in a very dangerous situation in which case planned co-sleeping is a much safer alternative.

Lynds I didn't necessarily mean the cases you encountered may not have happened if the child was in a cot, I was talking more generally and about SIDs rather than suffocation but maybe I didn't word it quite right.

Xxx

I suppose like so many things it comes down to what each individual parent believes poses the greatest and the least risk. Yes there's a small risk with co sleeping that the parent could roll onto the baby. But on the flip side of the coin there's a small risk that if baby is sleeping in a cot the parents may not be so aware if they were to get into difficulty or become ill (there is evidence to suggest that cosleeping helps to regulate a baby's breathing). Additionally like others have said there's a risk that if you are totally exhausted you may fall asleep with the baby in a very dangerous situation in which case planned co-sleeping is a much safer alternative.

Lynds I didn't necessarily mean the cases you encountered may not have happened if the child was in a cot, I was talking more generally and about SIDs rather than suffocation but maybe I didn't word it quite right.

Xxx

I don't disagree with anything you have said there. Planned co-sleeping is much preferable to falling asleep with the baby on the sofa or a chair.

I just don't think a lot of mums know how to make it safe. Simply popping a few pillows about isn't enough.

I got handed one sleep safe leaflet when I had little one and when midwife realised I hadn't slept in 2 days. But to be honest it was crap, was too vague on how to make things safe and didn't mention any risk out with obesity, drink etc etc.

I believe its a subject that deserves a bit more than a shitty wee leaflet so mums can make an educated informed decision based on their own beliefs, ideas and circumstances.

If I had a different job, my view might be different. Guess its the same as the reason why I would never let my husband have a motor cycle!

Xxx

I don't disagree with anything you have said there. Planned co-sleeping is much preferable to falling asleep with the baby on the sofa or a chair.

I just don't think a lot of mums know how to make it safe. Simply popping a few pillows about isn't enough.

I got handed one sleep safe leaflet when I had little one and when midwife realised I hadn't slept in 2 days. But to be honest it was crap, was too vague on how to make things safe and didn't mention any risk out with obesity, drink etc etc.

I believe its a subject that deserves a bit more than a shitty wee leaflet so mums can make an educated informed decision based on their own beliefs, ideas and circumstances.

If I had a different job, my view might be different. Guess its the same as the reason why I would never let my husband have a motor cycle!

I think that's why articles like this are SOOOO dangerous. If a parent has squashed the child then that is NOT SIDS, so doesn't count (yes it's tragic but it's different!).

This kind of thing terrifies parents who the refuse to consider the idea of SAFE bedsharing. Then you run the risk of falling asleep while feeding on sofa, in a chair etc.

Obviously everyone has to make their own decisions but people need to know there is a HUGE difference between SUFFOCATION - and how you can prevent that - and SIDS - in which case where the baby sleeps is irrelevant as you'd NEVER have been able to prevent it!

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I didn't even get a leaflet lol! But you're right, mums should be given better information and be helped to co-sleep safely if they choose to do so, it's such a grey area and there's so much conflicting information it's no wonder mums get terrified one way or the other.

And I wouldn't let my OH have a motorcycle either and I'm not a police officer! He is incredibly accident prone though :roll: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back