Controversy over pregnacare conception vitamins.

lillith112

Reaction score
I bought some pregnacare conception vitamins a few days ago, been taking them and noticed my boobs have started to get sore, after doing some research I noticed it contains a massive amount of vitamin. B1, B6 and B12, in fact up to 800% the recommended daily amount. I then researched what overdose will cause and to my surprise it's breast soreness, exhaustion, insomnia and a load of other things including messing cycles up. I've read loads of reviews. What I don't understand is why on earth have they put such a large amount in them. The male version Wellman is even worse, they contain 8000 times the recommended daily amount of one of the B vitamins, surely this is dangerous ?.x

Wait what?! I read online that these are meant to be the best out there...
I just started taking them, unsure I want to keep taking them now. Ahhh!
But surely they wouldn't put consumers at risk...?

Last edited:
I had to stop taking these as they made me feel so disgustingly nauseous. Apparently it's really common.
A friend of mine recommended Boots Folic Acid & Vitamin D instead x

I take 80% of vitamins that are on the box listed but in smaller doses. I basically bought each vitamin separately. x

Last edited:
Wait what?! I read online that these are meant to be the best out there...
I just started taking them, unsure I want to keep taking them now. Ahhh!
But surely they wouldn't put consumers at risk...?

Peanutbutter, I have thrown mine in the bin, my boobs are so sore when they shouldn't be, if you google vitamin b6 overdose symptoms it fits lots of bad reviews. According to the net the daily amount for adults is 1.3 mg, pregnacare contain 10mg, thats 700 % daily allowance.
Pigletsmama, another side effect of too much B6 is nausea, it can also cause seizures, lower blood pressure and alter blood sugar levels. High levels of this vitamin is very bad for your health. I'm actually really shocked, I'm so glad I did a bit of research. x

I binned mine off too - they just made me feel rank and I only took them for about 5 days!!

I used these but felt really sick. In the end I just took folic acid and ate a good diet

Oh god I'm taking these!! I bought 2 packs so using them up before I buy some regular pregnancy vitamins, should I bin them??

xxx

Ive just ordered some of these! I took them with my daughter and fell pregnant on first month. :-/

You should read what too much folic acid can do.

Better supplementing with folate rather than folic acid.

I've done some research, and 1.9mg is the RDA but you can take upto 100mg before ODing. I have read this on a few sites...
I don't think that a company would do this if there was a risk imo.

Clover it's completely up to you, personally I don't think it'd do anything, after the research i've done. Maybe you should speak to your doctor or nurse? If you don't feel comfortable taking them, just go on a normal multi-vitamin (without Vitamin A) until you've spoken to your doc. :) xx

Vitamin B's don't build up to toxic levels as they're water soluble vits, so you'll just pee out excess levels. I really wouldn't worry. Obviously if you think they're making you feel yucky then best to try another brand.

I personally just take the Boots Re-energise effervescent vitamins. They have all the same vitamins in plus I dissolve a tablet in a big glass of water, so it helps me to drink enough during the day.

What ever your body doesnt use you will pee out anyway, its only vit D that stays in our body, as long as thats not high you are fine x

I took these pregnacare tablets and came out in an eczema like rash all over my stomach, hips, arms. Went to see my GP and she said its possible its because of the colouring in them? Anyway I stopped taking them and just stick to folic acid, vit d and a healthy diet.

Well after having regular 28-29 day cycles these vitamins have altered my cycle, I'm day 29 today and absolutely no sign of af, and my boobs hurt when they shouldn't, I am definitely not pregnant as did 3 tests including a frer today, have read countless stories of this stopping cycles for up to 64 days !!! I am gutted now as needed af to arrive today as won't be able to try for next month as my partner won't be here.
Buttercupdaisy, excess B6 can cause a rash like you describe, and pregnacare contains 800% your recommended daily amount !.
x

I had extreme nausea too with them, plus an extremely bitter taste in my mouth.
Like Phoenix I have not read good stuff about folic acid.
Also I have read synthetic vitamins are not good to take.
I take a natural food supplement which contains folate instead of folic acid the brand is viridian.

Xx

I've been on them for months.

They've not changed my cycles and I've had no ill effects from them.

I do have luminous yellow pee after I take them, but that's the excess that my body doesn't need, being gotten rid of I guess.

XX

Well I'm day 30 of my cycle and still no sign of af, I have never had a cycle longer than 29 days since being a teenager, these vitamins have totally messed my cycle up, I'm so annoyed, now its just a waiting game to see if I come on grrrrrrrrr ! x

Lillith

Too much folic acid and vitamin B6 can lengthen your cycle. I tool folic acid and my cycle got 3 days longer, I was very unimpressed.

Its not over yet, you never know! Stay positive and a miracle will happen x

the best is to go to gp or do it privately. blood test for vitamins so you know which one you need to take to not overdose like A overdose its very dangerus to early pregnancy stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back