Consultant

twinkle90

Reaction score
So, had my appt this afternoon on what the best option for delivery is. She basically said that as soon as i go into esrly labour id need an epidural. Because of my weight and BMI. So she checked my back and said it would seem quite difficult becasuse of the fat basically. If they cant do eipdural then itll be c section. If she knew that an epi would be difficult, why didnt she just put me down for a c sec? Xxx

Why does she think you'll need an epi? Bit strange of her to say that . Im borderline high bmi and have given birth twice with just gas and air no problem. Unless you have other reasons for possible c-section? Dont see why you couldnt do it naturally x

She just mentioned because of my weight and BMI. Because my BMI is over 35, id need an epi. But she said thst could be difficult because of the fat on my back, if she knew that then she shouldve just put me down for a c sec. Xxx

When I saw my consultant, she just said it can be more difficult with a high BMI, I'm bang on 35 but that it should all be fine, it was more to cover their own backs that the info was given I think. If you're concerned hun, and want a c-sec, mention it to your midwife an see if you could be booked in for an elective? I don't know what the criteria is for an elective but its worth asking? X

You dont need an epi just because you have high BMI. Epi can be more difficult with high BMI though. Are you sure you understood correctly?

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

My bmi is over 35 I just had gas and air

She gave me leaflet on it. She never mentioned gas and air. My OH was there too. The leaflet explains that because of my BMI id need an epidural. And because she checked my back, she it could be difficult to give me one. So when i go into labour they have to give me the epi as early as possible. If they camt get the epi in my back then id need a c sec where they would put me to sleep. My sister had the same thing. Took them 5 times to do it, and failed. So they gave her the c sec and put her to sleep. Xxx

Can you take a pic of the leaflet? Its confusing as NiCE doesnt mention necessary epidurals for women with high BMI. They all have to work to NICE guidelines

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

That's strange , my bmi is way over 35 and was never mentioned to me in this pregnacy or the other x

I mean ive also got to inject Clexane, which is a blood thinner. But she never mentioned anything about that. Just my weight and BMI. Xxx

I have a high BMI and have to see the consultant about epidurals etc so it will be interesting to see what they say!x

I have BMI of 35 and am having a water birth so no chance of epidural for me! Consultants are notoriously scare tactical so my midwife said espec when it comes to us larger ladies! go back to your midwife and discuss this im sure she would be disgusted at how you were treated. xx

I was just told in my last pregnacy if I wanted a epidrul might b more tricky

Im just going by what the consultant said. Ill post the leaflet up asap. My options are to have the epi and if that fails then ive got to be knocked out and have a c sec. Xxx

Bullshit she is so wrong my BMI is 39 two labours on gas and air. My consultant was all pro natural and because of extra risk with epi or c section I would avoid if possible. Please go for a second opinion as ive never owt as bad, only time u would need an epi is if u have high blood pressure to try keep it low. X

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I dont care what they tell u read my bith stories it is perfectly safe to have a natural birth with a high BMI they just watch u more, I really wouldnt put myself at risk for no real rEason been overweight doesnt shrink your vagina its still the same process and I just cant belive it! Probs to save money on the exra time mw spends with u xx

Ive just done a quick google and the NHS hospitals all seem to say with a BMI over 40 you will see a anethatist and may need a epidural earlier than normal. But not under BMI of 35 and its all up to the woman to decide what she wants, your trust may have different advice but read up on what your choices are because it sounds to me like they are taking extreams for your hardly over BMI. At 39 I had none of that and none was needed I laboured better than some thin ones. Obviously if your choice just dnt let drs bully you into a major operation xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back