Consultant led pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by AngelLily, Feb 11, 2016.

1. AngelLily

AngelLily Well-Known Member

During my first pregnancy I was low risk but had serious complications during labour, that was two years ago.

I'm currently almost 7 weeks pregnant and had my first midwife appointment today. She's deemed me as high risk which I expected and has said I need consultant care.

What should I expect from my consultant? Is it any different to normal or do I get ext a appointment ect?

2. Babygiz

Babygiz Well-Known Member

I'm the same I'm consultant led but because of my age and type of birth with my first. I have been told I'll get an apt with the consultant which will enable me to talk through my sons birth the consultant will then decide if I stay consultant led or just go back and see the midwife as normal. Although you will still see midwife if consultant led. My understanding is that if I stay consultant led them I will have extra scans etc at different points.

3. Birdie

Birdie Well-Known Member

I had additional appointments with the consultant, extra scans (vaginal & normal ultrasound) & had to give birth on the labour ward (which wasn't my first choice, but was fine)

My labour & delivery were very straightforward in the end so I'm very much hoping for a home birth if we get pregnant again!

#3 Birdie, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. Wilson28

Wilson28 Well-Known Member

May i ask why you had a complicated birth x

5. heatheror12

heatheror12 Well-Known Member

Think it just depends on why your consultant led. I was 1st time due to me having open heart surgery. So had extra scans on baby and my heart ect. Then I fell pregnant again soon after and I was consultant led again because my 1st was big. So had the scans for the heart and the growth scans. I had forceps and episiotomy 1st time aswell but that was never mentioned 2nd time round x

6. AngelLily

AngelLily Well-Known Member

Sure I don't mind.

I became anaemic during my third trimester but it was never picked up on. I started slow labour March 4th at 2am and didn't give birth until March 6th 3:28pm but during that time my son was back to back, I hadn't slept and I wasn't dilating properly.

When I gave birth I hemorrhaged very badly after needing forceps due to my sons position. I had to be cut and I also tore. Seriously, my scar is huge! I had to be given 2 blood transfusions and a year supply of iron supplements. My husband said the blood was just never ending but I passed out by that point. Jaiden was born with a high temperature and I needed catheterised, fluids and blood.

I was very poorly and incredibly sore, then on top of all that my stitches got infection...typical!

Basically, the midwife said I'm at higher risk of hemorrhaging again.

#6 AngelLily, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016