Consultant lead care

Nickinakinoo

Reaction score
I was told at my booking in I'd be under consultant led care but I didn't get a chance to ask what the actually means and how it will affect my pregnancy/labour, can anyone help?

Think it just depends on why your in there care. I was consultant led 1st time because I had a hole in my heart at birth. So I had extra scans on the baby and also on my heart. I fell pregnant again when my son was 6months old and was consultant led again because he was big and I was sent for regular growth scans. 1st time I had to have baby in the birth suite because they wanted to keep me on a heart monitor to be safe. 2nd time they said I could go to the birth centre. There is many reasons they will send you to the consultant :) xx

I'm consultant lead as I had a bad tear first time but it hasn't changed much for me all I have is one consultant app next month to discuss birth then back to mw but I'm still down as consultant lead. Really depends on reason!

I'm consultant led this time because I had to have a c-sec with my first, I also am having growth scans as my son was a small baby at full term. So far apart from a couple of extra appointments at the hospital where I've either seen a midwife or doctor there has been little difference.

When it comes to the birth they won't 'let me' use the midwife led birthing unit and I have to be in the labour ward/suite - however if I really wanted to push this with the supervisor of midwives at the hospital I'm sure I could. They basically just want to monitor me due to a small rush of rupture to my c-sec scar and have me in a place ready for theatre if required. I will where it's safe to do so be resisting all interventions

Thanks ladies, Mine is because my bmi is 40 and I had a gastric bypass last year.

I was consultant led as my bmi was .1 over the cut off. The midwife just said I would have deliver at the hospital that was the only change (until I had GD lol )

Im consultant led due to a genetic condition but so far he seems to disagree with all the other docs ive seen while iv bn in hospital so enoughs enough i nd a solid plzn xx

I'm consultant lead because my bmi is 35 and I'm under a second consultant because I got terrible postnatal depression too... Xx

I'm consultant led because I only have half a uterus so don't know about how far I'll get, the risk of cervical failure, premature labour, birth etc. But although I have been seeing the consultant in the EPU I am only just getting to see my consultant tomorrow, and that's only because I kicked up a fuss about it or my appointment wouldn't have been until the beginning of March! xx

I'm having an appointment tomorrow with the consultant (actually "a member of their team") for "consultant opinion" (midwife's words) due to having Obstetric Cholestasis in my previous pregnancies.

I'm hoping they'll just sign me back over to the midwife though for midwife-led care. Last time I had monthly blood tests for OC but it didn't show up til 34/35 weeks, so this time I am hoping they'll be happy with ding nothing until 30+ weeks. If I do get OC again (likely) I'll probably end up 'consultant led', but tbh I don't envisage it altering much as I still plan to have all my antenatal appointments with the midwife.

Last time consultant appointments were pointless (lol) and most monitoring was able to take place at a local health centre rather than trekking on to the hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back