Consultant appt

Babygiz

Reaction score
Hi

Could anyone tell me what happens at a first consultants appt at the hospital. I didn't have to see one last time but this time I've been referred by my midwife.

Thanks

Hey!

I also didn't have a clue what to expect - I have only had one appointment so far with my consultant for a slightly high BMI and she literally just tested my wee, did my blood pressure and that was it, she said to watch my weight and don't put any on but she was a bit confused as my BMI isn't quite high enough to worry about, and she sent me on my way!

I have another one booked for 28 weeks and an extra scan at 32 weeks just to check baby growth and she said that is it for now unless I need extra appointments!

There was a little bit touched upon about mental health too as I had severe postnatal depression after my daughter was born so she said shes emailed the mental health team to have them ready once I have had the baby for extra support.

But that was it, it wasn't overly exciting lol xx

I imagine it depends on why you've been referred. I had a consultant appointment because I had a 3rd degree tear with my first. The appointment literally consisted of her asking me if I was well, if I was recovered from the tear and if I was happy to have another vaginal birth, then having a listen to baby's heartbeat.

Last edited:
I was referred due to my age 38 at time of birth and also I had forceps and cut at my last birth which could of gone smoother but I've heard so many worse stories.

I was referred for three reasons, my pre pregnancy weight, because I am a buggar when under general anaesthetic and because I had the lettz treatment on abnormal cells.

Because of my treatment I had to have a scan on my cervix, as the treatment essentially took part of my cervix away. I have to have a couple more scans to make sure my cervix is all ok.

I also have to have further growth scans at 28, 32 and 36 weeks.

My first appointment was just going through my history, having the cervix scan (and a quick cheeky look at bean as I wasn't having proper movements then!) and arranging a plan, I was put on aspirin for the rest of the pregnancy too.

Hope your appointment goes well, there is nothing to be scared off :)

Thanks all, your responses give me some expectations so I'm not going in to the Unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back