consultant appt today *update on labour ward*

sayer82

Reaction score
As the title says i have a consultant appt today. I got diagnosed with GD at 33 weeks and only found out cos i had a babybond scan at 31 weeks and it showed baby was big so they recommended getting a Gtt so went to see diabetic team and have to test blood sugar 1hour after meal and had to try to diet control but this didn't work so got put on metformin with evening meal did this for a week but levels were still high so up tablets to 2 A day and they said they would refer me back to consultant and i would probably get induced at 38 weeks so went to my normal midwife appt yesterday and she checked to see if a growth scan and consultant appt had been made and it had for when im 38+2 so she wasn't happy with it being so late esp if i need to be induced but could not re-arrange as they were fully booked then she took my bp and it was 130/100 3x so she sent me to day unit to get me and baby monitored so off i went and me and baby were fine and midwife had written in my notes appt being so late so they squeezed me in yesterday for a growth scan and babys estimated weight already is 8lbs and they also managed to get me in today with a different consultant as she luckily had a cancellation while i was there so im hoping to get a date for my induction but after watching OBEM last night where baby got stuck i might ask to either be induced next week as we know baby is ot too big at the mo but if they want me to go another 2 or more weeks to have a c-section as i don't want to run risk or baby being over 10lbs and getting stuck what do you ladies think is this a good decision? I know it won't be down to me but think i have a good argument for what i want esp with the GD and the high bp I've had up and down since booking.

Jess

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with gd at 37 weeks and induced 38+3 I went through the same as obem but never made it to theatre. My boy was 10lb 0.5oz and all midwifes have gone mad saying I should of been c sectioned but he's here now and safe.

Id mention your concerns and ask about a section.

They won't induce before 38 week with gd according to national guidelines 38 week is earliest

They have booked my induction for 38 weeks and said if i can keep my blood sugar stable baby won't be too heavy but am on labour ward now as got to have steroid injections for babies lungs and my blood pressure was 150/108 so being monitored for pre-e too plus im having tightenings which i can't feel x

ooh could be another eager march baby lol. i hope it all goes well hun and you dont have pre-e

Hope all goes well and you don't have pre-eclampsia...
Seems the march babies are starting out a bit like the feb ones did. x

Hope it all goes well, and you can come home soon. Thinking of you. xx

Sorry for late reply my phone went dead. Luckily i don't have pre-e got given some medication for blood pressure and it went down and has stayed at an ok rate. Had my 2 steroid jabs in my bum all i can say is ouch lol haven't had much sleep as they've been doing finger prick sugar test every hour since 10pm last night as been on insulin drip and levels have been up and down like crazy said i don't mind if they wanna bring my induction forward to next week lol lol but at least i know its now booked for 21st Feb which is my 30th birthday what great present x x

Ooo that's my Due Date.
What a lovely present you may get.
Hope all goes smoothly xx

Oh wow!! What a 30th you'll have!!

Good luck hun.

I too had GD and was induced at 38+3 and even though they said baby was going to be 8-10lb he was 7lb4oz!

Wishing you all the best and look forward to hearing your announcement :) xx

Im now home and have had to stop the metformin and now injecting insulin as the metformin was making some other level in my blood high and making me have high ketones in my urine. So plan is still to induce at 38 weeks so far hopefully the insulin will keep my blood sugar levels stable. So glad to be home and be able to get some sleep as having my blood sugar level took every hour was not good x x

Glad you are finally home, and hopefully the GD will go when you have had your lo. xx

definatley go for the induction. i was estimated a 9lb baby and went in to labour on my due date all went well till he got stuck same as obem an wont go in to 2 much detail cos i dont wanna scare u but it was touch and go for me and him and he has also been left with damage to his arm that may not get better.
he was 10lbs 20z

definatley go for the induction. i was estimated a 9lb baby and went in to labour on my due date all went well till he got stuck same as obem an wont go in to 2 much detail cos i dont wanna scare u but it was touch and go for me and him and he has also been left with damage to his arm that may not get better.
he was 10lbs 20z

I went through same but it was not as straightforward as obem I was induced at 38+3 and lo was 10lb 0.5oz. We had his first physio yesterday for urbs palsy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back