Constipation? :(

Saxelby88

Reaction score
Hi all,

My little boy is 11 days old today. Since Saturday (8 days old) he has had pain when pooing. He went Saturday afternoon and cried his little eyes out. Then nothing until Monday night.

Monday evening I ended up putting a little bit of vaseline on his bottom and rubbed his tummy for a while. 15 mins later he passed poo which was thick but loose.

Today he was great until the evening when he started crying and screaming again. My mum suggested a teaspoon of brown sugar in warm water. I put a little vaseline on his bot again. He has passed a small amount of poo again but it seems to really hurt him.

I asked the midwife at our 10 day check on Monday but she was basically blaming me for not breastfeeding (not my choice, cannot due to health reasons). She said to give orange juice in water but she would not be concerned about it until it is over a week since last bowel movement. And she said 'He will go. Don't worry about it'. My main concern is the pain he seems to be in. He looks in agony and it breaks my heart.

He is far to young for calpol isn't he?

HV is coming tomorrow so I will pick her brain too. Any tips in the mean time? I hate to see him hurting.

I remember being told some boiled warm water for my little boy but am not sure if he was that young!! Also move their legs like they are riding a bike! I hope you get it sorted nothing worse for them xx

Some warm water may help and I was advised to bring their knees up as if they are riding a bike, seemed to help x

What milk do you use? Give max 3 oz cool boiled water and no sugar!

You can get aptamil specifically for constipation, Asda sell it, maybe try that? Ask the hv about it. Oscar is 6 weeks old now and he has constipation from gaviscon but is now on lactulose prescribed today to help with his pooing. I know what you mean though, it's heartbreaking when he strains so much for such a little poop! He seems a bit better already but I'm not sure if your lo is too young for lactulose at the moment. Previously I did give oscar some cooled boiled water, just an ounce late afternoon (nights are usually worse) but I don think it did much, I was scared to give him too much water as well. Constipation is very common anyway for babies. My midwife knew a baby that didn't go for 21 days! baby was fine though!

I too had constipation long back but I consulted a doctor in our locality. He prescribed some medicines, but I don't remember what they were. Anyway, it was really useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back