Constipation (sorry if TMI!)

Potternutter

Reaction score
I am so constipated! I have IBS and am permanently on movicol to manage the amount of water my bowels absorb. It's not safe to take when pregnant so had to stop and now haven't been properly for 2 weeks!! :-(
Went to the Drs who prescribed fybogel which does absolutely nothing.

Any suggestions other than eating high fibre (which I already do?)

Syrup of figs worked for me when I was constipated after coming out of hospital after an op. not sure if it's ok when pg. sold in boots!!

Senekot or lactulose should do the trick. I had horrendous constipation following medical management for my miscarriage that was the only thing that relieved me.
Hope you get sorted out soon. Constipation is horrible

Michelle x

I've tried both senekot and lactulose in the past to no effect :-(
It is quite severe- in the past I've been so bad they made me drink 2 litres of movicol in one go forcing me to have horrendous diarrhoea :-/ that was after I didn't go at all in 3 weeks!! I'm on 2 weeks now though and getting desperate as I know movicol is not an option :-(

Aww god that sounds awful. A trip to the Dr is certainly needed to get things moving again maybe suppositories are needed to loosen things

Michelle x

I've used senocot, lactulose and Fibogel. And Fibogel is the only one that worked for me.

My sister has chrohns disease, and all of her symptoms disappeared when she was pregnant. Is that the same for IBS?

Hope you feel better soon x

I was given lactulose but it gave me really bad diarrhoea so I'm now trying colpermin capsules which are peppermint oil capsules- doctor recommended peppermint oil to me. So far they seem to be working they're expensive (£5.50 for 20 tablets) but after the amount of pain and discomfort I've been in I don't care how much they are!

I'm with you, the only thing that has ever worked for me is Movicol! Apart from when it was so bad I had to use a suppository (sorry tmi!) - can you try those? Double check though that they are safe in pregnancy but I'm sure doc said they are xx

Hmm pumpkin never tried them, will look into it!

Toria- I was hoping it would but so far it's worse!

I witch I'm going to book in Drs this week if no movement so I'll ask them is it safe!

Thanks for your suggestions girls!

I got sent for early scan because I was in that much pain with constipation.
That painful that I got weak an vomited.
Doc prescribed lactalose. It gave me really bad cramps an wind.
I stopped it after 2 weeks an started eating hi fibre cereals, fruit juices and loads of water.
Def go to the doc x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back