Considering Agnus Castus-thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trying to Conceive' started by megsmeadow, Jul 13, 2013.

1. megsmeadow

megsmeadow Well-Known Member

So I've been reading a bit about agnus castus. I like the thought of hormone balancing and think mine are a little out of whack. (Diagnosed with PCOS before DS, more symptoms now than ever!)
    What are other ladies reasons for using it?
    And does anyone use it right through their cycle when ttc or do most use it up until ov?
    If you just use it until ov does that reduce the balancing effect since it's not consistent through the month?
    Your thoughts would be much appreciated!!

2. Dee28

Dee28 Well-Known Member

I'm on my 4th month taking it now, I take the drops and I taken them every day. I have mild pcos and was experiencing irregular cycles and ferry heavy painful periods and really bad pmt as well as spotting several days before AF. I think it has started to regulate my cycle, I am certainly ovulating fine and around cd15-18, I'll continue with it for a few more months and take a break to see how things go, it certainly hasn't made things any worse xx

3. megsmeadow

Thanks Dee! So you don't stop during the TWW? My cycles vary by about 4 days but I'm getting cycle related migraines and my weight is creeping up again, skin getting worse too. My OH has suffered the grumpy side for the last week or so and I really can't keep doing that to him.

4. Dee28

Dee28 Well-Known Member

I did lots of research and couldn't really find any evidence of uterine contractions so for me I decided to take it continuously as I figured it wouldn't get in my system properly if I stop/started it. Most things I read said to stop taking if you fall pregnant xx

5. megsmeadow

Yeah that's what I wondered, good to know what other people interpret too. I've still more reading to do, but I've got so much brain fuzz it's hard going!

6. Beauandhamish

Beauandhamish Well-Known Member

I don't know if its coincidence or not but I got my bfp the first month I started taking ac. My cycles where all over the place, were getting longer but it made me ovulate around day 16 which is earlier than ever before! I stopped taking it after I had ov x

7. minniemaker

minniemaker Well-Known Member

I've been taking AC, its really helped regulate my cycles after nearly 5 years! I started to take it for PMS symptoms (as I never ovulated) but then its kinda changed things and regulated things since taking it. I take it all month they say to stop if you get pregnant

8. Cosmogirl7

Cosmogirl7 Well-Known Member

I also got my bfp the first month I used AC. Unfortunately I miscarried at 8+2, I'm pretty much just waiting for AF to arrive now then I'm going to take AC again next cycle. I also took EPO xxx

9. megsmeadow

Thanks girls! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Cosmo. I have ordered some and think they are sitting in the post office waiting for me to collect. Would it be silly to start taking them now, part way through a cycle?

10. Cosmogirl7

Hmm yead I'd probs wait till next cycle now. I started mine on CD1 up to ov. Good luck I hope they work for you. With my EPO, AC and folic acid I was taking about 5 pills with my dinner lol xxx

11. minniemaker

OMG cosmogirl Im the same, I rattle I take so many ha!

12. Cosmogirl7

Lol Minnie, I said that to my husband before. I've cut back this month just been taking my Pregnacare xxx

13. minniemaker

I bought 4 of the 7 day pill pack things from cheap shop, I sit like a junkie each month allocating pills out and writing on top week 1/2/3/4 etc so I dont lose where I am upto I have to have iron for aneamia and i have hayfever tablets plus epo, vit c and a million others haha.. im veggie so I take multivits to make sure I get what i need too. shake rattle and roll ha!

14. Belfa

Belfa Well-Known Member

How many mg of agnus castus do you guys take each day? All they had in boots was agnus castus pms relief - I was put off it by this name but went back the following day as I figured its still AC at the end of the day. It says it's only 4mg of dry extract which equals 25-52mg (I guess of the fruit?) which doesn't sound like much at all!

15. Cosmogirl7

Belfa my tabs are 400mg and I took 2 in the morning and 2 at dinner time. Maybe try Holland and Barrett xxx

16. minniemaker

I only take one a day before bed 500mg :)