Confusion with dates early pregnancy

Patellybell88

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My husband and I have been trying for another baby for quite some time now and have finally succeeded! I did a clear blue test last week and it revealed that i was 1-2 weeks since conception which would be 2-3 pregnant so this week I tested again and it was 2-3 which would be 4-5 weeks pregnant. I do have really irregular periods but the thing that's confusing me is how can I be 4-5 weeks when my last period was just 3 weeks ago. Can anyone help? Or has anyone been in this position? My dr is sending me for a dating scan but I'm worried if I'm too early I won't they won't be able to see the baby. Any suggestions/advice appreciated xx

The weeks on the pregnancy tests are only an estimate and are based on the level of hCG in your wee. The "normal" levels of hCG for three weeks pregnant is between 5 and 50 mlU/ml, so if you're at the high end of normal, a clear blue might say 2-3 when you're only 1-2. Or vice versa if you were at the low end of normal.

My advice would be to ignore the weeks on the tests and go off the date of your last period. If the first day of your last period was three weeks ago, then you're three weeks pregnant.

As for the scan, this early on they'll be able to see something but might not be able to see a heartbeat or even a baby. They might only be able to see a gestational sac. But the sac measurement can be used to tell how far the pregnancy is.

Oh, and, congratulations :D

Google NHS due date calculator. It lets you alter the cycle length xx

They're not 100% accurate, so go on your own dates. This is what the GP will date you on and then your dating scan will give a more accurate date. My scan at 13 weeks altered my original due date by 2 days (but I have to admit, I couldn't remember 100% when my last period had started).

They should see something at the scan, but not necessarily a heartbeat if it's too early. In that case, you may be invited to come back for another early scan.

Hi, are you sure the period 3 weeks ago was actually a period? Just thinking you may have already been pregnant, and it was a light bleed? Obviously I'm not a doctor, but I've read on here about people having "a light period", but it was actually implantation. Just thinking, if it had only been 3 weeks since your last period, the pregnancy test wouldn't have showed up a positive yet.

The dating scan will sort it all out for you.

Sorry if I'm confusing you more :)

Hi, are you sure the period 3 weeks ago was actually a period? Just thinking you may have already been pregnant, and it was a light bleed? Obviously I'm not a doctor, but I've read on here about people having "a light period", but it was actually implantation. Just thinking, if it had only been 3 weeks since your last period, the pregnancy test wouldn't have showed up a positive yet.

The dating scan will sort it all out for you.

Sorry if I'm confusing you more :)

Was thinkin the same thing the first day of your last period is the date dr will go by until first scan usually around 12 weeks. I don't think the pregnancy tests usually pick up until a few days before your period due at the earliest so if your period is still due a week away then you wouldn't likely get a positive. Hope makes sense!

Hi everyone,
My husband and I have been trying for another baby for quite some time now and have finally succeeded! I did a clear blue test last week and it revealed that i was 1-2 weeks since conception which would be 2-3 pregnant so this week I tested again and it was 2-3 which would be 4-5 weeks pregnant. I do have really irregular periods but the thing that's confusing me is how can I be 4-5 weeks when my last period was just 3 weeks ago. Can anyone help? Or has anyone been in this position? My dr is sending me for a dating scan but I'm worried if I'm too early I won't they won't be able to see the baby. Any suggestions/advice appreciated xx

As others have said you'll likely have had an implantation bleed 3 weeks ago. It wouldn't show on a test this early. You're dating scan probably won't be until the 12 week mark, unless you are high risk, so they will be able to see baby by then. I had no idea when I concieved cos of my periods being awol, I had a rough idea of a six week window. They just used the estimated due date on my dating scan.

The start of pregnancy is counted from the ovulation cycle not conception hence why dates are confusing. That is why they want to know LMP not when you dtd. My friend did IVF and after they reinserted the embryos because the cycle was done in a lab she was 2 weeks along in dates after the pregnancy test was positive. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back