confused over peoples reactions to the triple tests..

katie05

Reaction score
Hi girls, i hope this doesnt at all sound like im starting a debate but im genuinely puzzled about this. Why is there a bit of stigma attached to optin g to have the triple tests? I saw this lost on another forum (not here) when i had my son and had a couple of mums at toddler group looked shocked when i said id be having it this time too! Its not harmful to baby so what is it as by having it your not saying you wouldnt look or accept your lo any less.

Hope someone knows where im coming from and also can help me be a bit clearer!

xxx

Well it is alot for a childs immune system to have to deal with, all three in one go, i know the injections caused my sister to be quite ill and have convulsions e.t.c.

but the i think the pro's outweigh the risks, I know my mum certainly went to to get my younger sister done x

sorry not sure ive been clear, i mean the test you have done when your 15 weeks pregnant for downs etc.xx

no, dont apologise, preggy brain read it wrong :lol:

I personally didnt have it done, I am the sort of person who takes things one day at a time and didnt feel the need to know in advance if there were any problems. I would not have had an amniocentisis test so i just didnt see the point in the triple test unless you were prepared to do that, and as far as i was concerned the 1 in 100 risk of miscarriage after the amnio was too high a risk.

I had also seem my sister have the triple test the year before, have a really high risk, get the amnio and the baby was fine after all, so i decided against it. I think its an individual choice like any other and no one should be judged either way.

i wasnt aware there was a stigma to it! i had it done, i just assumed everyone does?!

I Posted on the question you mention
The reason didnt go into more detail is i didnt wont to sound like i was trying to scare the girl who's having the triple test.

Ive been through a misscarige and it tore me apart
ANY chance of the amnio causing misscarige how ever small was not something i would ever risk.

I would not want my pregnancy ruined by the worry if i had the blood test and there the result showed up a high risk of downs.

As i said i will love my Son with or without downs
And i would not risk my Son's life however small the percentage.

Some people don't have the triple test because they wouldn't take it any further if the test came back as a high risk, and the triple test is only an indication and can be totally wrong. If you come back as high risk then you can have an amnio, and some people wouldn't take this test so they don't see the point in having the first test if that makes sense. It is a very personal choice and there is no right or wrong in it

When I said I was going to have it a few people said things like why wont you love your baby regardless or would you have a termination if the results can back high risk. I think also as the results have a high chance of being wrong alot of people arent having them anymore. Its just personal choice really. I had the test as I wanted an idea of what might be ahead and to pick up any problems early so I could have the best care after LO was born.

Geordie lass, i dont understand what you mean about your post :think: I said i never meant this forum but another (mainly when i had my son 2 years ago) Im asking this now as im due to have this and as a result of the ladies reaction at playgroup. Hope i havent upset you :think: :hug:

I didn't have them because i wouldn't have gone any further with it and didn't see the point.
I don't think there should be a stigma attached to it as it is all about personal choice.
:hug:

Is a tricky one, you only get a statistical idea of your risk, so even if it was1:25000, you could still be that 1. if you were so very concerned then wouldnt you want a definitive answer?

It's a personal choice, its your body and your baby and no-one should judge you for wanting a widely available and professional test :hug:
I've never heard of any stigma attached to it personally, its not a test we have chosen or will choose, but its good the option is there for parents who want it, its their baby and they have a right to have these tests and make their decisions thereafter.

Very best wishes :hug:

http://www.southalabama.edu/genetics/bdgc/triple.htm

No me neither, no one has ever said anything to me about triple tests.

If you want to know if theres a possiblilty of our lo having downs or somethnig the get it done for your peace of mind, I had it done and all it is is blood tests. Ive heard the amnio can cause problems thogh for some ladies.

If not then dont have them done. Its no pressure on you and ots your desison and your baby :rotfl:

like everybody says already, it's personal choice and whichever you go for will be the right choice for you.

I'm guessing that the reactions you have heard are not indicating a stigma about the test per se, but rather the fact that a result showing a high risk of Downs can lead women to choose a termination. Obviously some women will continue with their pregnancy but the results can help them mentally prepare for what could be ahead.

Ignore the reactions of other people and do what feels right for you.

I never had them done.. Ryan was a little miracle anyway, and after having my fertility questioned, and having had a miscarriage, I didn't fancy the 1% risk of miscarriage when I knew I would keep the baby regardless. I was in a low risk category so for me personally I didn't see why I would want them done.

But it's a personal choice. x

I didn't have it done, not because I thought there was a stigma attached though :doh:

My reason was that even if it came back saying you were in the high risk category there is still a big chance that your baby is perfectly normal (sorry don't know stats off hand) also I couldn't risk the 1% chance of risk should I have to go for an amnio and I don't think I could have had a late termination even if it had said something was wrong.

Not that I think any of these decisions are 'right' they were just 'right' for me thats all.

Its completely up to the individual in my eyes and can't see why anyone should be thought of any differently for making those decisions :hug:

I didn't have the test done but its a personal choice. The midwife said that at the time and had no problems with me not getting it done.

If the result came back high risk I wouldn't have taken it any further so it seemed like a waste of time and money to me.

I had the blood test at 15 weeks with no intention of having any further tests, amnio etc, if it came back high risk, but we felt we would be able to prepare better for any potential problems if we knew we were high risk.

I can totally understand why people choose not to have any of the tests though if you might worry more by thinking you were at high risk than not knowing anything at all, def a personal choice and nothing to do with anyone else.

Also I have heard that they work it all out on numbers so its a bit airy-fairy anyway.....like so much of this preggy thing.....sigh :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back