Confused and stressed

jacy90

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry, but I feel the need for a bit of a rant..
I am almost 14 wks pregnant and I live in a rented flat. We moved fairly recently (September), and our landlord is actually a family friend's boss (she's his assistant and deals with everything for him, including the flats he owns). Our flat is in a block of 4; 3 of which our landlord owns and 1 of which an elderly lady owns. We love our flat to bits and my oh (a builder and decorator) has spent loads of time (and money) decorating the flat to how we want and doing bits and bobs to it to make it our own home. Basically, the problem is this. We mentioned to our family friend that we're pregnant (as we were spreading the news!) and although she was very happy, she said that the flat is actually "no children". She said that she'd have to talk to her boss, but it doesn't look great. Their concern apparently is the elderly lady and the 'noise a baby would bring' (even tho the flats are well insulated and quite a way apart, as she lives across the hall, and she's lovely so I doubt she'd mind). Also, the guy living below us has his 3yr old daughter come and stay every weekend, and the other rented flat are ttc. She said it's in our contract, but we've all checked and it doesnt state it in any of them. My worry is that we had a 6month trial contract which ends in March. What if he doesn't let us renew?? I can't face moving whilst pregnant, and I'm also in my final year at uni, as well as spending all that time and money on doing the flat up.. I don't know what to do.. She won't talk to our landlord yet either, as he's recently found out his son-in-law has leukemia and he's having a really hard time atm (understandably). I just wanna know where we stand really.
Sorry for the massive rant, Im just feeling really confused and stressed about it all, and I have exams these next couple of weeks, as well as being all hormonal!!

Oh I'm sorry sorry your stressed and completely understand- how can you not feel like your in limbo :(

The most important thing is to take care of yourself and let OH shoulder some of that stress xxxxxx

Sorry you have all this stress, defo don't need it when pregnant!

I know nothing about renting//contracts or anything, but wondered if you repost this in 'home life & finances' and 'the lounge' area of the forum there will be more trafic through there and so someone will probably have some advice hun.

xxx

really hope it all works out for you, I was crapping it when i told my landlords wife i was pregnant at around 14 weeks and luckily my new contract got posted through the door. If it desnt state no children in the contract then i cant see the problem and sounds like there just making up the rules x

Oh god what a nightmare. I don't know a great deal about renting/contracts either, but if there is nothing in your written contract about not being allowed children in the property then surely they can't turf you out on those grounds? Can you speak to citizens advice or something and see where you'd stand? Seems very unfair to kick a pregnant lady out of her home just because of 'noise' especially when you have another tenant who has a child visiting regularly as well. Is there any chance you could speak to the elderly lady, explain your situation and see if she would mind piping up and telling the landlord she doesn't mind? Hope you can work things out hun, i've just moved house and i know how blimmin stressful it is! x

Thanks everyone.
Have been thinking about it all, and am feeling much better about it. Am gonna leave it a week or so to see if my family friend will tell the landlord and go from there. I will definately talk to my elderly neighbour, but I don't want to ask her outright in case she really does mind! lol I hate the situation, but I gotta deal with it, so..
Thanks Maria - I hadn't thought of posting this elsewhere, so will try that!
I don't really know much about my rights with it all, but I'm pretty sure he can refuse to renew our contract without giving a reason - I really don't know? It's really unfair tho I think.
Anyways, thanks again girlies for your kind words and advice! Much appreciated! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back