Confused about the laws.............

littleangel77

Reaction score
Ok can anybody tell me what right a father has if any if there's no contact during pregnancy and his name does not appear on the birth certificate??? I've been given so many different answer's on this... it really scares me that the guy may be able to come back 5 yrs from now and get custody of my child!!!!!!!!! That's not right! I'm just about ready to change my name and move! :cry:

hey hun i have just been trying to look it up on the web for you but no luck!!!!!
you need to make a few pone calls and find out exactly!!!!
good luck let me know when you find out!!!

I have a feeling he needs to give up his parental rights in writing or something like that to give you sole control/custody.

Don't know where that came from just something I heard when a friend was going through a similar situation.

The best thing you can do is find a legal aid solicitor and ring up for your free half hour chat and talk to someone who will give you the facts in black and white - you need to be clear on this one.

Good luck and lots of love.

i have considered not puting the fathers name on the birth certificate but then i was told that if you dont provide a name then the word "UNKNOWN" goes in its place. the dad of my bump is a real piece of work but theres no way i want that word on babys certificate forever

x

Hi. I had same problem when i was registering my baby last year and i was told by both my solicitor and the register office that if the fathers name isnt on the birth certificate then he has no parental rights. plus if you do decide to have it put as father unknown you can always re-register the childs birth at a later date if you change your mind. I dont know if your married to him or not but if hes just a boyfriend you wont be able to put his name on the birth certificate unless he goes with you to register the birth. i think if your married though its ok to put the fathers name on if hes not there.

hope whatever you decide to do it turns out for the best x

no me and the dad are not together we arent even on speaking term (his choice). he has said that he wants nothing to do with the child and he doesnt even know when she is due or even that shes going to b a girl because he doesnt even know the sex says that he doesnt even believe that she is his so he wants paternity test, i mean come on!
so what do you think my best option is?

x

i already have a dd who has her fathers name and i will be changing it when this one arrives as i dont want her having a different name to everyone else but thankfully this parental responsibility thing was brought in after she was born.
the baby will NOT be getting his/her fathers name as i dont want him having any kind of parental responsibility at all. if he does then that gives him rights and access. i would rather the birth certificate be father unknown or if im in a really nasty mood 'deceased' :D
if the father has parental responsibility then he has rights to see his child when he chooses, whether it be 1 week or 1 year down the line. if you know what i mean.

i have actually just gone through the phonebook to get a number for a solicitor to find out exactly where i stand in refusing access to both children.

littleangel77 said:
Ok can anybody tell me what right a father has if any if there's no contact during pregnancy and his name does not appear on the birth certificate??? I've been given so many different answer's on this... it really scares me that the guy may be able to come back 5 yrs from now and get custody of my child!!!!!!!!! That's not right! I'm just about ready to change my name and move! :cry:

sharyn said:
littleangel77 said:

I was reading some articles on line.. if your not married you have automatic custody. If your not crazy you will retain that custody.

Now the laws here in the Usa might be different but i am a single parent and because the father of my child ws not married to me he has no right what soever. and actually after the baby is born if there is no contact for over 2 years parental right are automatically terminated. My sons birth certificate says none for father and i can change that when i want to. but it is better that way.

hi
im a single mummy and jamie, nicoles daddy dont wanna no
i havent registered her yet coz ive had a lot on my mind

i am gonna put unknown on the birth certificate wen she gets 1
but i have no idea where you are suposed to register her or by when?
ne 1 else no??

luv mummy

my df had problems when he split from his ex they have a son together to his horror he found he has no legal rights over the little boy as it turns out he now hasnt had access to him for 2 yrs and the mother has changed his name which is obviously quite upsetting as the breakup was not nasty but has now turned that way i found a few little articles hope they help :D

Advice for Unmarried Father's
Few unmarried father's realise that when their new bundle of joy is born that they have no rights to stay in the life of that child. For example an unmarried father is not able to inspect medical records, or obtain details of school progress of their children. These rights completely depend on the goodwill of the mother. To obtain equal rights as mothers is a very simple procedure called a Parental Responsibility Agreement and usually involves a short visit to a local family court. Fathers are advised to do this soon after the child is born

Data Protection Act 1998
You are able to access all paper and computer records held on you under the data protection act. This applies to all court, CSA, and social service records about you. This information must also be accurate. Accessing information held under the Data Protection Act 1998 is called making a subject access request.

Father's guide to divorce and separation
Includes advice on separation, and on dealing with separation out of court. The section on divorce includes how to prepare before you go to court and what procedures are followed. A section is devoted to handling the divorce without using lawyers, and on the use of McKenzie friends (a friend in court) in court.

dunno if ne of that helps but there is alot of advice if u search google

Bloody fathers for rights! I dont think its fair for my ex to just turn up out of the blue later on to play "daddy". I believe that a fathers role starts now, not when baby is born. My ex has conveniently forgotten that he is going to be a dad. Thats fine by me now as I can no longer be bothered, or have the energy to be angry with him or keep him involved. He has made his bed, its now time for him to lie in it.

I dont want my child to be confused later on in life or have feelings of rejection either. Which it may well feel when it wants to know why its daddy wasnt there from the start.

I would also love my exs parents to be involved with their grandchild but he is not bothering them with the details. They only know that Im pregnant. I would love to phone them up and let them know that they are more than welcome to play a part in their grandchilds life, but unfortunately its not my place to do so :(

Sorry for the long rant girls, make my ex makes me soooooooooooooooo mad!

sarah_17 said:
i to was worried about this as my babys father was determend not to see the baby and kept saying in 2-3 yrs time it may be different so i went to see a lawyer, even if the father is not on the BC and it is found out he is the dad he get parental responsibility to - sucks i know, also his family have rights to seeing the baby even if he dont want to - also sucks, my lawyer said that it was all due to this fathers rights thing - even if they aint interested now they can come bck into the babys life 5 -10 -15 years down the line
that is c r a p
i dont want jamie to have nething to do with nicole
not after what he did to me, or ever
wen shes 10 years old ill be 25 an i could have a husband or a whole family an he can just walk in and rip it to pieces
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that is soooooooo c r a p!!!!!!!!!!!
luv mummy and nicole keila

Hiya Sarah

This lawyer wasnt a bloke by any chance?! There is no way Im prepered to sit and wait for my dick head of an ex to grow up, especially the way he has spoken to me and made me feel. Thanks to him Ive lost a lot of confidence and to top it all off I found out his mates are slagging me off and he wont say a thing to stop them!!!

We sought legal advice on this a few years ago when we started receiving maintenance for my eldest through the CSA. My OH has been dad to Dan since he was 3 so the thought of his 'biological father' coming into our lives after ten years horrified us.

We were told that IF his biological father did want access and we didn't want that, he'd have to take us to court to get an access agreement, and no judge would give an access agreement in the circumstances (Daniel has never seen him, his family have never been told (AFAIK)....).

We've put the CSA money into a separate bank account so Daniel can choose what to do with it when he's older. At first he wanted to send it back, but apparantly we're not allowed to do that!! At £3.60 a month, it might pay for a few pints on his 18th

Tracy xx

well ill be seeing jamie in court if he even comes near us
i could kill im
he is such a nob
no way am i ever gonna stand by and let him get parental responsibility no way!!!!
grrrrrrrrrrrrr
luv mummy and nicole

no the lawyer was a woman i couldnt believe wot i ws hearing either - she did say incase baby dad does want access and goes through the court they can make him pay maintaince for the babys life so far and also to keep receipts of like the cot etc coz chances are hed hav to pay half for that to

i dont want his money
i might need it but i would never ask him for it
lol
my pridelol! gets in tha way of evrithin
luv mummy
xoxox

I think my ex will be staying away at all times as he doesnt want me to get csa involved. If he starts playing up then he will shoot himself in the foot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back