Confused about nappies

beanie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Am looking for advice. Me and OH have decided to use re-usable nappies and we had seen the bambino mio ones (the birth to potty pack) which we thought was very reasonable and they sem really easy to use. However looking through my magazine today there are absolutley loads of different brands out there. So I was wondering has anyone out there used them before, and if so what brand do you recommend. The key things I am looking for are ease of use (I can't do any fancy folding moves), cost and appearance (it's important to look good isn't it :D ). I'd be grateful for any tops or recommendations. Thank you

Hi,

I'm with you there beanie, I'd researched them and found Bambino Mio the ones that people go on about so I'd started buying some of the pre-fold bits second hand on ebay (very clean mind you!) but then saw all of the others...! I was at an Organic Festival last weekend though where a local baby shop had a stall of different kinds. The lady said that I could arrange a demo of the different kinds and then buy a starter pack with some nof the different types in it (£20 I think but not sure) for me to try when he or she arrives. The local Council's recycling department gives you a £30 voucher towards the cost of reuseables after you've had the baby (not before which was a pain as I didn't want to have to fuss afterwards!) and so the lady then said that I could come back having worked out what works for us if you see what I mean? She seemed to imply that some people use a different kind for nights- maybe because they're in them longer...? I know nothing about all of this!!!

Anyway it sounded like a good idea but I haven't been able to get a demo date out of them yet so we'll see! Meanwhile I don't know if I should hold fire or stock up! I probably have enough 2nd hand already (8 and two pants things) to be able to struggle through the first week or two before I suss it out I guess! She gave me a booklet with tips which was good though- it had things like adding white vinegar or bicarb of soda to the nappy bucket as a cheaper alternative to nappy soak and things like that in it. It might be worth seeing if any of the independent baby shops in your area to a similar thing though?

+++

Hi there
I'm buying some Bambino Mio nappies. Kiddicare.com has a sale on the birth to potty pack. Was £225 down to £150 something. It comes with a changing bag as well.
you're right about there being so much to choose from, but I think this one has won enough awards to get my attention!
Happy nappy picking..... :lol:
Emilia xx

Thanks Rosebay and Emelia for your replies, they were really helpful. I also spoke to someone who was running a stall on reusable nappies, but I just got confused about all the different types, amnd as this is my first baby I had no clue what would suit me. However after reading around I think bambino mio are the ones we'll choose. We went into a local shop, and the lady there was really helpful and demonstrated then nappies (well not on herself :D ) and let us feel the nappy. They seem really easy to use, I like the idea that there is the liner, and also for night times you can out an extra thing in to make it more absorbant. I just really liked the feel of them, they were really soft and looked so cute, though whether I think this after they have wee and poo on them reamins to be seen. Also the cleaning of them seems really straightforward, you can was them safely on a 40 degrees wash and just dry them on an airer. Am going to look on kiddicare, the birth to potty pack seems a really good deal at £250 so is a bargain at £150. Rosebay, those tips were great (ie bicard of soda), if you have anymore could I please ask for some.

I contacted my council about the £30, its the same here you get it in 3 £10 paybacks after you have bought them which I think is a bit unfair as with reusables you are buying them before baby arrives??? Thanks again, can't believe how excited I am to be buying nappies.

Have you had your baby yet? Hope all went well.
How did you get on with the nappies?

Hi Lizzie,

Not had baby yet but will let you know how I find nappies when bean arrives. Hopefully not too long now x

Lizzie,

I have been using the mio nappies now since the green poo stopped (thought it would be a nightmare otherwise so got disposables) and am finding it really easy. In fact I like using them so much that I use them when I go out even though I thought I would get disposables. Washing them is really easy, we do a wash every other day which I find no problem and they wash really easily on a 40 degree wash. The only thing is as they do not have the chemicals in that draw moisture away she does cry more to have her nappy changed but this is not really an issue for me as it only takes a couple of minutes. It hasn't interrupted her sleep really either. So I would recommend the bambino mio nappies.

On which condition do the councils give the £30?? do you have to buy some nappies and present the proof of purchase, or just announce that you are planning to use reusable nappies?

I am going to use reusable nappies (unless as everyone tells me, I will "get fed up of it and just come back to disposable ones"!!!) but am going to use some those my mum kept from when I was a baby. They are very clean, and I have enough to avoid buying new ones, really! the only thing I had to buy was the plastic nikker-type thinggies that you put on top of the nappies.
But I am still going to have a lot of washing to do, and buy the softener and washing liquid adequate for nappies!

I would definitely welcome whatever money I can get, really!
Anyone knows anything?

mel xx

melhoney said:
On which condition do the councils give the £30?? do you have to buy some nappies and present the proof of purchase, or just announce that you are planning to use reusable nappies?

Not sure if all councils are the same but in Staffordshire you have to send in a form that has been signed by your HV that says you are using the reusables along with a copy of the birth certificate and they then send you the £30. I also got "you'll be using disposables in no time" comments when I was pregnant and they have soon all shut up when they see me use them as it is a lot easier then they thought. Just ignore them :D

Thanks Beanie

I guess, really, I should call them and ask them :lol:
Sorry to ask (probably stupid!) but what is HV? I am really bad with abbreviation! :oops:

I am glad to know that you've actually kept using reusable! All my colleagues at school told me I was crazy! I really want to give it a go, though, I think like you that once you get to know how to use them, they probably make your life as easy as the disposable ones!
...And I like the idea of using my own nappies on my daughter! I will be able to tell her later, that we "shared our nappies"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
another way to bond with my baby, I guess!

mel xx

Of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so stupid, sometimes!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that, Kim!

Hope you are all doing alright these days...am enjoying my real first day of maternity Leave, at home, woke up at 9 ish....hum, a pleasure :p

mel xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back