Concerned about a letter from work

FirstBabyEek

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I've received a letter from my boss asking me to contact him about my return to work. I'm a little surprised to get the letter as I'm not due to return to work until mid sept and in my maternity letter that I gave to him in April 2012 I suggested that we meet early Sept to discuss, which he agreed to.

I'm now just a little concerned about the reasons he's contact me.

A bit of background - he was foul to me whilst I was pregnant, he literally ignored me for months and i would be lucky to get a grunt out of him. He was grumpy about the fact that I couldn't do as much of the physical work that I had been as it meant reduced fees for the company (I was a building surveyor so out on site, climbing scaffolding etc etc) One day he asked me to find some info from an email in his computer and I found a load of emails that he had send to our accountants and financial advisors asking what the legal ramifications would be if he shut the company down the day after I left on maternity leave and started up a new company, did he still have to pay me SMP etc. I was seething but I was 37 weeks pregnant at the time and didn't need/want the hassle. I'm only on SMP so he's paying NOTHING extra out of his pocket.

As some of you know I'm in the Middle East at the moment and all being well I don't intend to go back to work. Buuuut, if things don't go well out here in the next three months I might need my job in the UK to go back to.

I'm reluctant to tell him that as I know he's looking for a way not to pay me the holiday that I've accrued during my ML.

Can any of you give me any advise as to how I play this one as he's expecting me to call him tomorrow to discuss?

Thanks ladies in advance xxx

Hmm I'm sure theyre not supposed to approach you about return to work? sure my boss said something along those lines when we went in.

could you not go along with it for now?.say you're abroad at the moment and you will arrange a meeting when you return. He doesn't legally need the details as long as you give him the required notice if your not going back he can't do anything?

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject can help :) xx
Using tapatalk can't see tickers

I don't know all the legal sides etc, but of it were me, I'd say I'm away for a while so obviously can't see him to discuss anything, and defintely wouldn't mention your plans. I mean, how much notice should you give if you don't go back? If he asks about your plans for returning to work, just say yes you still plan on returning and with regards to hours etc just say what you would want to do if you end up going back. If that makes sense? Xx

Ring ACAS hun, don't mess around - find out your rights once and for all.

I remember this awful man and he sounds like he'd happily cheat you out of anything he can

xxxxx

If you've already agreed a return to wrk date with hours etc and its in writing, there's nothing he can do to make you see him before

However, in reality it would be good practice to see him (if he wasn't so horrible!!). I'd just ring and ask what he wants to discuss- you can say you're abroad at the moment with family- a little white lie won't hurt!!

If he won't discuss it over the phone, tell him to email you and you'll respond- you need to so no more than that

With regard to the holiday leave- whether you return or not you are entitled to the money as it has been accrued whilst you are in employment

This would be the case whether you resigned, or if he made you redundant.

Thanks ladies, brilliant advise as usual. I'll try and contact ACAS in the morning I think, thanks Carnat :)

I'm tempted to yell at him all the swear words I can think of but I know that's not right. He just makes my blood boil.

I know he's going to try and get out of paying me and if he does I'll invite him to an employment tribunal based on the emails he's sent about trying to get rid of me whilst I was heavily pregnant.

Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it goes
Xxxxx

I remember this awful man and he sounds like he'd happily cheat you out of anything he can

xxxxx

Totally agree! Do everything by the book so he cannot mess you about xx

xxxxx

I'd go with this Hun.

Big hug, I know how much of a tool he is!! Cx

Good luck Hun, he sounds like an awful man! Xx

Tapatalking!

Hey Hun , when I left for mat leave they have me a letter which stated my return to work date . They did ring me 6 months into mat leave and ask me to come In for a meeting but it was only to discuss what days I would prefer to work and what hours . My work have been really good and I do feel really lucky , they work round me
Lol , I get on so well with my bosses they are all women who have children so they know how hard it can be and are as flexible as they possibly can be with me .

Maby just reply and advise you are willing to meet in September as you stated in your letter x x x

Well I spoke up ACAS and they said he could contact me at anytime about work issues, they said he can't wriggle out of what is owed and if he did, that would be tantamount to constructive dismissal. So pleased about that.

We had agreed that I call him at 8am UK time before his day got started. Anyway, 5 mins before the agree phone call I got an email saying that he had "various items" he wanted to talk to me about and that he felt a telephone conversation wasn't appropriate.

Very frustrating!!

So I replied saying that I was planning on staying in Qatar with DH for a while so perhaps he could email me with the items he wants to discuss as a starting point, alternatively if he wanted to discuss it face to face, I could Skype him at any time.

He's not interested in my best interests, this isn't about wanted to ease me back into my work otherwise he'd have been much nicer in his approach. I've worked with him for 12 years and I'm not unreasonable, I've bent over backwards for the company in the passed and have been incredibly loyal. I'm just so disappointed that he's turned things into this sour mess!!
:wall:

What an awful situation. I really feel for you. He is making it very difficult for you. I do understand because I had issues with my line manager when I was pregnant. I hope it gets resolved. acas are brill I used them too. Good luck xxx

He sounds like a horrible man , I don't know what to advise other than many try scarring him and say you are speaking with citizens advice x x

I remember when you read those emails on his computer Hun. He sounded like a horrid man then but this is another level. What a horrible person. Hope it gets sorted.

ACAS also advised that they have a pre-tribunal consilitary (sp?) service so if I felt that I was being forced to resign then I could go back to them after I'd gone through the companies grievance procedure. They only thing with that is that it's only him as the owner of the business it's not going to be a fair hearing.

In some ways I'm pleased the ball is now in his court as its going to force him to act. Either way I wasn't planning on going back so worst case is that I will have to take him to tribunal to get my accrued holiday paid, but I'm not fussed as he doesn't have a leg to stand on. As soon as he responds to my email, I'll let you know.

Thank you everyone for your responses and support, it means a lot xxxxx

Employment tribunal is messy messy messy.

And it hangs around for ever.

If things get to the point that you need a lawyer to tell him you're taking him in, I'd imagine he'll pay up and move on.
As a business owner, he won't want that on his record, and would much prefer to just pay you what you're entitled to.
Unless he's completely insane.

If it does get that ugly, never forget to get the newspapers involved ;) xx

Hugs, sweetie. Sorry, I can't help any more than the others have, just wanted to offer you my support. Hope you manage to work things out. Hope you're OK xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back