Comfort sucking

SoObsessed

Reaction score
So my daughter is 9 days old and we are successfully breastfeeding. She tends to sleep for much of the day and feed 2 - 3 hourly over night.

Until last night that is when she was awake from 10pm to 5am just wanting to suck. I could feel that most of the time she was not feeding properly it was just a comfort suck and as soon as I put her in her crib she screamed the house down.

Now i'm not totally against dummies but if possible i would like to avoid one.

Has anyone got any tips on how to comfort a baby that just wants to suck and how to avoid her sucking at the breast when she doesn't need a feed?

OH is back to work tomorrow ( on nights ) and I am dreading dealing with similar to last night on my own!!!

It's really early days so your LO will just be getting your supply up, which unfortunately is what they tend to do at night!!

We haven't used a dummy but I would just let her suck- she's only young and will want to be close to mummy! It won't last for long xx

If you can co sleep safely then do it for the harder nights so you can sleep while they suckle. We banished oh to the spare room put a pillow so he couldn't roll off the bed and pushed the duvet back so he could sleep next to me safely.
You need sleep to produce milk! Xx

My LO had a nignt like this at the same time and it seems to be just part of a growth spurt and has passed now. It really shouldnt last for long but if she does continue to suck for comfort only, the co sleeping idea or the dummy are good options. We have a co sleeping cot which makes night feeding a lot easier and we also use a dummy occasionally (Fraser doesnt seem too fussed by it so sometimes settles with it but only at night). I know its tough when you're going through it but it really will get easier!X

i dont know how to stop comfort sucking. but what i will say is i let my newborn away with it (he wouldnt and still wont take a dummy). he is now 3 and a half months old and still comfort sucks. ive never had a good nights sleep. most of the time we co sleep so he can suck as its the only way he will go to sleep. so he sleeps and i stay awake because its pretty tough to sleep while someones sucking on your boob haha. so try nip it in the bud now. because it just gets harder to stop it. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back