Combined test?

KeelyT90

Reaction score
Hiya,

I had my booking appt today. MW did my bloods and took 3 tubes. I have opted to have the combined test for Down's/Edwards/patau. Do they test with the blood taken today or do I have another blood test on the day of my scan on 19th may? X

I think it depends where you are. Ive heard of some women getting the blood tests before and the result on the day of the scan but others have to wait.

I've only ever had them taken at the 12 week scan. Would be a lot quicker if taken earlier tho!

I had to have a separate blood test after my scan.
xx

My blood tests were taken after my scan....mw didn't take anything from me

I thought I would need another test doing. Booooo!!
Yesterdays she mentioned Iron levels & diseases. But 3 tubes worth :( x

I think it only works out like 5ml per tube so it isnt that much. I remember finding that out after thinking theyd taken pints because they took 8 tubes :lol:

I got my test at my scan and got the results 6 days later.

xxxx

I think it only works out like 5ml per tube so it isnt that much. I remember finding that out after thinking theyd taken pints because they took 8 tubes :lol:

I got my test at my scan and got the results 6 days later.

xxxx
:shock: EIGHT!!!?

Crikey!
I am not bothered by needles but I am so squeamish of veins, plus my veins are so small they really struggle to get the blood out and it makes me feel all dizzy and sick lol. Such a baby I know!

Thanks, I do have to go to antenatal straight after my scan so guessing they'll do it there xx

I think it differs on MLs on what the test is for, so some have 5ml some less or more. But yeah I was getting a full blood count ages ago and they took ages and I was thinking my arm would be drained.

Im the same with my veins - I hate even touching them. I have a tat above my wrist and made it a wee bit further up because I didnt want the needle buzzing over my veins.

My veins in my hand are bugging me atm. When I clean or rush about I can literally feel my veins pulse through my hands and they pop out - not as bad now, and MW says its normal but it feels revolting! :lol:

Most likely with the combined bloods, we went to the scan then made our 20w scan appt then they directed us round to the clinic and we waited 5 mins, got them and we were done. I only got one tube too.

xxxx

Last edited:
Yea I have tattoos on both my wrists but I am fine with those, it's just because the needle goes into it.
Eurghhh yea i can imagine. I hope that doesn't happen with me haha!
Thanks, I'll just have to be a big girl on the day haha xx

I had bloods at my booking appointment which they checked my iron levels with and then I had more bloods taken at my 12 week scan as they need the babies neck measurements along with the bloods to do it :) xxxx

I had bloods at booking in - for typing, iron levels, etc.
Then at 12 week scan baby would not cooperate and let them do the measurement they needed for downs test etc. So I was sent for blood tests at a specific week (can't remember which) to get a result from that - but without the measurement from the scan they could only tell me risk for downs, not edwards and the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back