Combined screening results back ..... Im Worried!

BBaby

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm hoping as you are further along and will have been through this you may be able to help.

I'm 31 and got my results back on sat with 1 in 370 score for DS.
I know I shouldn't google but I know from research on age alone I would be 1 in 800 and the nuchal measurement of 1.4mm I was told was good too.

So why so low? A friend who is 8 yrs older and had the same NF measurement as me kindly phoned yesterday to tell me hers is 1 in 9500 and maybe I should be worried.

I'm seriously stressing, I understand that 1 in 370 is still 99.76% ok, but still it's not helping. I'm rhesus neg blood group and thought this could be something (as bloods are checked for plasma protein and beta hcg) .... Beta hcg is apparently very different in neg blood group, but still surely this would ave been taken into account.

Anyone any experience of a low score like this? The foetal unit have said i can meet with them on Friday but donnot seem much help, just keep saying everyone's blood is unique and its a personal calc of risk.

Thank you, I'm worried sick! Xxx

Last edited:
Is the 1 in 370 your background risk or adjusted risk? I've just looked at mine and my background risk is 1 in 320 with an adjusted risk of 1 in 6408. Additionally at the end of my letter there is a sentence about my results having been deemed low-risk. Did you get your info in a letter? Does it say something like that on the bottom of it? Usually if you're high risk they phone rather than send a letter.

Hi Ella, the 1 in 370 is the adjusted risk, based on age and nuchal the calculated risk would have been much lower.

The letter does say low risk .... And may be I am over thinking, but 370 doesnt sound great.

Xxx

I must admit i was relieved when my triple test put my risk down rather than up, but i have conflicting experiences of this through others: my cousin was given a high risk score (she didn't have any tests done as they wouldn't have temrinated even if baby was DS), with a score of 1 in 40, and baby was fine. My friend who got a score of 1 in 5000 and gave a big phew had a baby with DS.

Just remember, these tests are what they are: screening. They will never give a yes/no.

It might be worth PM'ing Dotty if she doesn't reply on this thread as she had the Harmony test done. Its private so you have to pay for it, but it does give a more certain answer from what i understand (although not a yes/no still!!).

An amniocentesis would tell you for certain but it carries a !% risk of MC. I suspect they wouldn't want to do it on the nhs becasue of this if they have put you at low risk.

Hi Ella, the 1 in 370 is the adjusted risk, based on age and nuchal the calculated risk would have been much lower.

The letter does say low risk .... And may be I am over thinking, but 370 doesnt sound great.

Xxx

I know it's difficult, but try not to over think this. You've been given results as low risk, which is good. Just focus on that. :)

Hi BBaby. I totally understand how worrying this is for you. I'm 33 (32 when I had the testing at 12 weeks) my result came back as 1:66 so I totally freaked! I had to have the CVS testing as I was deemed high risk. I'm so pleased to say my baby boy is totally happy and healthy ( yes I even got to find out the sex from the tests ) such a huuuge relief! This is my 3rd baby, my other two boys came back as around 1:200 and their totally fine too. I was told the cut off point where they see you as high risk and needing further testing is 1:150 and this is why I never needed any tests with my other two. So this said, please try and see your result as a good one hunni xx

This is such a tough one to get your head round isnt it hun , i felt for you when i saw your post.

High risk st most hosps is considered to be 1:250 or less. You come into low risk but i totally understand that you see it as too near the mark. As not low enougth you prob wont be offered any further free diagnostic testing as remember its just a risk by comparing your nuchal, your bloods with everyone elses at same stage, its not a medicaltest with definate results.

The harmony i think at fetal medicine centre in london i think was £500 , do ask dotty woman if you want to know more.
It really helped reassure her.

When i was pregnant with my son in 2010 at age 37 i got a risk back of 1:9 which i nearly fainted at
My nuchal was i think high 2. Something, so yours is fab at 1.4 !

My bloods had lots of markers in them so adjusted me up to 1:9

I had the cvs test the next day ( same as amnio , but taking a sample of placenta not fluid, has to be done before 14 weeks) , rested for a few days and thank goodness the small mc risk was ok for me.

I got the all clear and report back within 2 weeks and was the most worriying time ever.
My son was perfectly healthy and no chromozone issues.

I believe tweetyfoo got a low risk and her lovely son was born with ds, so it is just a risk

Worth mentioning any further testing will test for edwards and pateaus syndromes ( far worse issues) too not just ds

Do chat on phone with the team at hosp if-you get the opertunity just to get things straight in your head, to be ok with it rather than it be in the back of your mind while pregnant.h

Now im preg again i had the screening and got a low risk ( well for my age, 39). I am certsin my blood markers atvthe time were from my angel baby lost at 12 weeks just a mth before getting preg again with my son as this time they were much better, the hosp thought that was a silly theroy but who knows who naturally carries more blood markers!? I have anti e antibodies by the way maybee we do like you were saying with rhesus neg thing?

Hope ive helped and not confused you more, remember you are low risk xx

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I'm going to the foetal unit to speak to them tomorrow .... My heads all over the place.

I think I'm ok and put it into perspective then something tips me over!

Oh's mate has just phoned to tell us their result of 1 in 9500 and ask ours (even tho he knows dam well as his gf phoned yesterday to say maybe I should be worried) .... Why would they do that! I've just had major meltdown :-( xxx

Yes, please feel free to PM re the Harmony test. I had this at 10 weeks and risk came back as 1:10000 which is the lowest they will say. The only reason I had it earlier was that the test was cheaper as it was part of a special package when I had it. The cost does seem to vary round the country though. I have some literature I could forward you. Where abouts in the country are you? xxx

Btw when I had the comparable results from the Nuchal screen come back from the same place I had the Harmony test, that risk came back as about 1:800. I am 42. xxx

Last edited:
My babies fold measured 3.3 and I completed freaked out at that yet my combined tests came back low risk - I cant remember the exact number but it was 1 in 1000 something odd. I still worry even with a low risk score due to the fold measurement being higher than a lot of peoples xx

glad your getting to speak to the unit just to dicuss and get your questions across X

Hey girls, I have been to the foetal unit today and they have offered me an amnio as they can see how stressed its making me.

The cut off point is 1 in 150 and while 1 in 370 is higher she understood my worry and that actually being anxious for the next 6 months could cause more problems.

I'm booked in for 24th July, obviously I'm worried about the risk of mc(national av 0.5%, their av 0.3%), but this 0.3% is the same as my scored risk of ds ..... Either way I need to know.

I feel like the next few weeks are going to go very slowly! :-(

Thanks for all your advice xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27