Combination feeding?

charlene09

Reaction score
I want to breastfeed at home but bottle feed breastmilk whilst out as I don't want family and public making sly remarks.

Am I able to do this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It is possible yes but it can be quite demanding to find the time to express with a newborn. It is also not recommended to introduce a bottle whilst you are getting to grips with breastfeeding and building up your supply. However, if it is what you want t o do it is entirely doable - my son is 19 days old and has had a nighttime bottle of expressed milk since about day 7.

This is my second baby and I am much more confident with feeding in public this time around - with my first I was anxious about doing it but this time I couldn't care what people think - it's far easier to BF than faff with bottles, plan ahead etc. I would say just play it by ear; see how you feel once baby is here xx

Yes you can I feed on breast then give expressed milk in a bottle and then give formula. I have to do this as she has jaundice. She is 11 days old and is not confused by the nipple and then bottle. X

Sorry why do you feel you would get remarks? Your feeding your child. I have a bf wrap thing looks like a apron. It covers everything and baby is underneath it. Maybe you could look at one of those. Iv had friends and family over and I have used that when feeding x

I have bought this #1 Nursing Cover, Breastfeeding Scarf on Amazon - Loving Mum - 75 x 110 cm - 100% Cotton Breastfeeding Apron, Shawl, Infant Blanket, Baby Poncho - Breastfeed in public comfortably and discretely! Perfect baby shower gift! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q1G3R3E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_y.BzxbFWGFHZ6album

I'm hoping to fully breastfeed for the first 4 weeks before expressing as I've been told you can confuse the baby. I'm going to use the above in public. I am a little apprehensive but really it's best for baby so if people have a problem with it it's their problem:)

I successfully combination fed sofia when she was about 4-6 months old (can't remember) and it worked out okay, I assume doing it earlier would be fine too! xx

I'm not personally into breastfeeding so I am no use with advice on where to buy things etc but I have seen tops etc that are designed for breastfeeding and you don't show a thing, basically pop baby's head in and it's very dignified etc especially if you are uncomfortable x

Personally I'm not breastfeeding because there is a very high chance i won't be able to but I sure would if I could. Whilst I'm not clued up on combination feeding as I've never done it before this is my first baby I just wanted to say that you shouldn't ever be worried about people's remarks to you. Breastfeeding is perfectly natural. You're feeding and providing for your child. I imagine it may take a while to feel fully confident but I hate to hear of people worried about others views of them and being harassed by it.

I always imagined if I could breast feed and somebody told me not to do it or make a sly remark I would reply with "well OK can you please stop eating and drinking in front of me" it is as simple as that. They'll be the ones looking like idiots not you.

:) xx

Last edited:
I'm combination feeding my daughter and it's working well, the bottles haven't confused her or stopped her latching on and it means my partner can do one of the night time feeds too :) xxxx

I'm combination feeding my daughter and it's working well, the bottles haven't confused her or stopped her latching on and it means my partner can do one of the night time feeds too :) xxxx

I'd like to combination feed for this reason, I want my partner to do a feed when he gets home from work. I don't know whether I'll take to bfing but I really want to give it a go.
I'm also a bit worried about bfing in public, not because of comments as I'm happy to put people in their place!! so will be getting one of the apron things.

I'll be combi feeding also. Bf in public doesn't bother me at the moment, might be different when it actually comes down to it though :blush: will just see what happens when the time comes xx

Just for those who have bought or are planning on getting covers... babies don't tend to like feeding under covers https://www.facebook.com/jasmine.smithmilligan/videos/10157324281470643/
Plus, it can be tricky at first when you need to see what's going on to get them latched on right. And it's warm.

Honestly, you really can't see much and no one should be staring anyway.

I know it's easy to say... with my first I rarely fed in public. Mothercare had a nice feeding room I used, think the first time I fed in public my baby was about 3 months old!
Anyway, with my second she was only a few weeks old and I was on the bus and she needed feeding so I bit the bullet and after that I didn't think twice and never had any bother and that was 9 years ago and since then there are laws that protect your right to breastfeed anywhere you are entitled to be.

I don't know about combi feeding, but just wanted to add my voice to the 'you're just feeding your baby' comments heheh
I thought I'd be more shy of it, but I've found I actually don't give a crap. It's not like there's much to see when the baby's latched on! I did joke about getting a baby hat with one of those black censored strips stuck to it :)

Personally I prefer these hats ;) haha!!

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.478290546_dbbu.jpg
    il_fullxfull.478290546_dbbu.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 9
I was going to say that I'd be tempted to crochet a boob hat if we'd had a winter baby, lol.

I didn't feed my first out of the house very much for the first few weeks as we had some issues getting her to latch. But once we'd got the hang of it we fed all over the place and no one ever commented on it. I've just fed my newborn at the swimming pool watching my older daughter's lesson.

I don't think most people notice what you're doing and even if they do, you're feeding your baby so there's really nothing for then to take offence at. I had a conversation with an elderly couple in a pub while feeding my first once. The gentleman didn't realise for ages what I was doing.

Last edited:
I found people didn't tend to notice too. I had a coulple of funny experiences where waiters in restaurants leant over to admire baby then looked a bit flustered when they realised baby was feeding :). Mind didnt mind me using a cover to start with but started to object when they got to be a couple of months old. I didnt bother much with a cover the second time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back