Colostrum harvesting

scn

Reaction score
Anybody done it? Got any tips?

I did it got a tonne in the freezer and not needed any of it as I have such a good supply x

You're good, I tried it but was so frustrated only getting a couple of drops a day haha. I have 2 pots in the freezer that's all.

I'm not planning on breastfeeding but if I was I don't think I would be able too ... Sorry to be crude but I haven't really leaked, all I seem to have is my nipples have dried colostrum on them but too dry to do anything with x

You need to hand pump and collect the colostrum in a syringe MrsB xx

Ah I see, I swear I'm clueless on some subjects x

I find hand pumping really not very comfortable - in my last pregnancy I leaked soooo much and this one I have leaked but nowhere near as much as before so I might not bother colostrum harvesting this time, last time it was easy! Just typing about it I can feel my boobs filling up hahaha how creepy is that! xx

It makes me feel queasy thinking about it lol but I'll give it a go in case baby has blood sugar problems when born and has difficulty latching (I've got gestational diabetes)

Good question i didn't know that I know it can affect baby's sugar levels therefore feeding is affected but I don't know if it affects directly the physical aspect of feeding? xx

If the blood sugars are low then baby will be lethargic and sleepy and may not latch and feed, baby will then maybe need to be syringe or cup fed to increase blood sugar and wake up enough to feed. If colostrum is available then that's what you give but if not then they would need to have some formula. I'm not against formula at all but would prefer him to have colostrum if possible xx

That's understandable, if your opting to breastfeed then ideally that's what you want for him, as I imagine it won't be easy to transition from bottle to breast when they are minutes old. Breastfeeding isn't my thing personally but if it was I would have the same beliefs as yourself. I would express if I had to for special care too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back