College

Marmite

Reaction score
I have just emailed the college about going back next year, I have asked if it is possible to only take 2 subjects rather than the normal three as when I go back I will have a 7 month baby to look after as well.

Do you think it is likely that this will be allowed? My boyfriend who goes to the same college doesn't think they will let me :? and im not if I will be able to cope with more than 2 subjects, I found college really difficult last year anyway... I find education a bit tricky generaly, ive never been all that motivated. But I know this will be a really good thing for me to do, getting some qualifications, im clever enough....

I just really don't want to try and take on too much, I tend to hide when there is lots of pressure rather than facing it head on, and I don't want to try and fail.

I doubt they can stop you dropping one really, college and further education is your own choice, no-one elses.

I'm just worried as my boyfriend was pretty much made to take three courses :?

I used to go to Queen Mary's College in Basingstoke... and they were pretty strict on what you could and could not take, although you will have a little baby.. and the colleges I attended in London after Tia was born were a lot more understanding because of this.... you will need to discuss it with your year head.

Also you'll probably find you are more motivated and organised once you have the baby... don't ask me why think its because you have to get out of bed and going out with a baby is like performing a military operation... :rotfl:

You just get a lot of practice... :rotfl:

I have sent an email to my student service manager (kinda like a head of year, but there are 4 of them)

I don't know how understanding he will be, I remember seeing him when I was having some attendance problems and he was pretty useless :roll:

by subjects? im guessing a levels? u want to get to loan parent adviser.. job centre..they give u extra cash.. and travel and food for going.. and help u get into college etc find new paths etc... its really worth it..

i did 2 a levels 2 years back.. they did try to get me to do 3.. but i told them no..

I have been looking into benefits when im in college, I know if I only do 2 subjects I can't get EMA, I wasn't sure about the other one, I'll go chat to the job centre at some point.

i think its generally just advised that you do 3 subjects because thats generally what most Uni's want you to have to take a course. I think it depends on what subjects your doing as to how well you will cope, i did 5 subject 2 years ago and it was hard, however i know that the "art" subjects were easier because deadlines are more flexable and if you missthings its easier to pick them up, so i managed to pass psychology without attending, however if its sciency subjects you may find it more difficult.
I kinda have the same problem as you now as i've got to decide whether to go back to uni with a 4 month old baby next year when i find it hard to get motivated now, or to take a year out and risk never going back.
Everyone i've spoken to so far has been very understanding and im sure soemone in your college will be heloful, oyu've just gotta find that person
Clare x

I never plan to go to university, so it's just college ive got to tackle.

Im taking biology for definate, so that will be relativly challenging, and im also going to take environmental science definatly which is a little less challegning, but I think there is a reasonable amout of coursework involved with both.

Stupid college STILL haven't got back to me :roll: I think i'll probably have to phone them tommorow. (im weird, I HATE phoning anyone except my boyfriend and my Mum :shhh: )

I did biology and the course itself is ok as long as you keep on top of everything they ask of you like the activities. I found the coursework difficult but then thats cos i've never been good at science coursework. I guess its good because most of the time you get set short "homeworks" as long as you think oyu'll have the motivation to get them done you shouldn't have any difficulties.
If you talk to soemone and let them know you dont intend to do university they shoudlnt have a problem with you only doing 2, if not agree to do the three but drop one asap. My college was very big on everyone going ot uni and yet they still allowed people to do only 1 as if thats what they wanted. they should rather you get some education then none
Clare x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back