Colic - Gripe Water V Infacol

Hey Chezza,

I feel your pain. I tried Infacol, Gripe Water, Colief and finally Comfort formula. In the end we ditched everything except the Comfort formula as her pain turned out to be Silent Reflux instead of Colic. The two are often confused apparently. The change of formula really helped with her constipation and wind though. For the SR we have now been prescribed some proper meds after initially being fobbed off with infant Gaviscon. Hoping these work for her soon, as it too breaks my heart to see her in pain each feed.
I attach a useful article on Colic v SR just in case...
xx
PS: Ada also hated the Gripe Water and would spit it out. I then became concerned about all the E numbers in it, so soon gave up on it. There's also another one called Detinox I think. Seems to be trial and error with them all unfortunately. Hope you find way works best for JJ very soon xx

http://www.cheerfulcherubs.co.uk/colic-or-silent-reflux-the-burning-question-1386/

That article was really helpful MrsV - thank you. I always assumed that with any type of reflux the baby was sick? I have an appt with my GP next week, so will chat with him then about the possibility of it being SR - just in case.

Thanks again xxx

I thought the same Chezza. A friend of mine suggested it might be SR, but because she isn't a sicky baby I initially dismissed it. The health professionals are not so sympathetic when it's silent as the baby is gaining weight and therefore "thriving", and I was told on more than one occasion that Ada would grow out of it. I'm sure she will, but I'm not going to let her be in obvious pain until that time!
I forgot to mention that I also switched to Dr Brown's bottles as others have suggested. They may have helped - difficult to know as I switched to Aptamil Comfort at the same time. Good luck hun xx

Oh, and the only trouble I had with Colief is that you have to wait 30 mins for it to do its business. Dunno about JJ, but there's no way Ada would wait 30 mins when hungry. It's ok I guess if you know when you need to feed. We don't have a reliable pattern worked out yet... With the Tommee Tipee Perfect Prep machine, our bottles are ready to go in 2 mins and sometimes even that feels like an eternity! xx

Thanks MrsV :)

Hmmm, Joshua struggles to wait 2 mins whilst his bottle warms - half an hour will never work! How on earth are you supposed tp pre-empt when they might want feeding, when they aren't in a feeding pattern yet?

Can you prep a couple of bottles with colief and refrigerate them in advance??

Thank you xxx

I started off putting him on his tummy for naps. At first i stayed next to his basket the whole time to make sure he was ok. As he was beginning to wake I saw him turn his head easily from one side to the other which made me confident i was doing thr right thing for him. Once i definately knew he was capable of moving his head properly i did it at night. He's absolutely fine and i don't worry about him now. He even has a comfort blanket in with him now and he's fine.

Maybe try putting your LO on his tummy for his first nap tomorrow and watch to see if he can turn his head? I don't let Harry self settle just yet because i don't want him to get himself worked up because tummy sleepers are naturally warmer in their sleep and i'm worried he'll over heat if he cries. I think i'll try self settling at 4 months and see what happens. I hope if you do try it that it works for you x

Brilliant advice Clairebear22 - thank you! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back