Codine

kitty86

Reaction score
I know some of us ladies have been taking codine for some part of our pregnancy.

Last night I read something quite worrying. I read on a website that if you take codine in the 3rd tri the baby will need weaning off it when there born. Has anyone else heard of this????????

Im worried now. My doctor said nothing about this when he prescribed them.

Yes my doctor did mention that baby can become 'ratty' when born if you've had alot of codine in 3rd Tri therefore not to have it alot and often. He said a small amount now and again will not have an effect but if its been taken by the mother constantly then could cause baby to be ratty and hard to settle when first born....

I've been told to limit the codine as much as possible and avoid it where I can but obviously this is impossible sometimes when ur in alot of pain.

Hope that helps a little? I cant understand why your doctor didnt explain this to you though when prescribing it :wall:

i was prescribed codeine by my doc when i was having problems with my pelvis.. but found out when i told my midwife... i should not take them for more than a week...... as they don't recommend we take them at all...

I,ve not taken any codeine during pregnancy but I did take it about a year ago for a bad back and had a really hard time weaning myself off it.... you do get serious withdrawal I found, so it would make sense that baby would get the same :shock:

I was taking codeine for my back pain quite often, but stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Recently I have stuck to paracetamol which is safe to use, but I'm still careful with that.

Its a stronger pain relief than paracetamol etc so yes, it is used with care. I'm not surprised that a baby might need weaning off it if its used not long before birth.

Shame your GP didn't explain in more detail :roll:

Hi..
I wasnt aware of this at all, and having recently delivered this month (Dec) they prescribe Codeine for cuts/tear in chidbirth.

I have been on this since leaving the ward, and although I am not carrying the baby, I am breastfeeding so I am concerned he is getting some of this ??

Anybody else worried ??

The reason for this "addiction" is its an opiate, its on the mider scale but its still an opiate...

I try my best not to use it every day. During the day I cant cope with the pain its just at night when the pains are at there worse I take 2. So on average I take 2 aday sometimes less never more. I think I will have to speak to my doc again.

My midwife knows I am on them too and she never said anything either.

Im so angry If I was made aware of this I wouldnt have bothered taking them I would have tried coping on paracetamol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back