Cluster feeding - what is it?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Lucy, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

Hi

Sorry to sound stupid! Does "cluster feeding" mean the baby spends a long time on the breast or lots of feeds close together?

Olivia is falling asleep on the breast or coming off of her own accord then falls asleep for only 10 mins then wakes and wants feeding again

Thanks
    Olivia
    1 wk 2 days

2. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

i take it to mean baby feeds very frequently. Seren spends a while on the boob but only leaves half an hour or less between feeds. feels like one continuous feed after a while

3. *saulino*

*saulino* Well-Known Member

hello

yes it means the baby continuously feeds and you get no sleep, i was almost in tears in the hospital, the nurse took kiara fromme for an hour so i can sleep.
    hope it helps and dont worry it doesnt last long
    katrina

4. minikins

minikins Well-Known Member

Never even heard of it and I breastfeed so I must be stupid too, I am not up to date on all these stupid terms, I am too busy being a mum ;)

5. Urchin

Urchin Well-Known Member

LOL same here!
    I'm sure if a newborn "cluster feeds" it will soon settle down though, as I imagine it's more for comfort than anything, as they've had a hell of a shock!

6. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies!

I know what you mean about the stuid names - when the midwife said Olivia would cluster feed i was too tired to ask what it meant!

Lucy
    Olivia 1 wk 3 days

7. Duds

Duds Well-Known Member

It means feeds close together. They (books) recommend you "cluster feed" in the evening so they go longer at night. Hasnt worked for me yet though!!