Cluster feeding - what is it?

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry to sound stupid! Does "cluster feeding" mean the baby spends a long time on the breast or lots of feeds close together?

Olivia is falling asleep on the breast or coming off of her own accord then falls asleep for only 10 mins then wakes and wants feeding again

Thanks
Olivia
1 wk 2 days

i take it to mean baby feeds very frequently. Seren spends a while on the boob but only leaves half an hour or less between feeds. feels like one continuous feed after a while

hello

yes it means the baby continuously feeds and you get no sleep, i was almost in tears in the hospital, the nurse took kiara fromme for an hour so i can sleep.
hope it helps and dont worry it doesnt last long
katrina

Never even heard of it and I breastfeed so I must be stupid too, I am not up to date on all these stupid terms, I am too busy being a mum ;)

minikins said:
Never even heard of it and I breastfeed so I must be stupid too, I am not up to date on all these stupid terms, I am too busy being a mum ;)

LOL same here!
I'm sure if a newborn "cluster feeds" it will soon settle down though, as I imagine it's more for comfort than anything, as they've had a hell of a shock!

Thanks ladies!

I know what you mean about the stuid names - when the midwife said Olivia would cluster feed i was too tired to ask what it meant!

Lucy
Olivia 1 wk 3 days

It means feeds close together. They (books) recommend you "cluster feed" in the evening so they go longer at night. Hasnt worked for me yet though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back