Clothes sizes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by Nickinakinoo, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Nickinakinoo

Nickinakinoo Well-Known Member

Pretty much all the clothes I've bought are size 0-3months (14-15lbs) but I've been told this is a mistake because he won't be in them long. But I have no idea how big he'll be, I was guessing because I'm big he'll probably be on the larger size which is why I haven't bought any newborn stuff yet.

I still don't have a lot of clothes so should I start buying bigger?

2. SoObsessed

SoObsessed Well-Known Member

I'd buy some new born, baby clothes seem to come up big anyway. I think then you'll be covered for the first month at least. People will obviously buy you presents so you'll get more when baby arrives. You really don't need as much as you think you do xx

3. Flot1984

Flot1984 Well-Known Member

Defo get some newborn. Even bigger babies are still all scrunched up for a bit.

4. Emmam1982

Emmam1982 Well-Known Member

Don't presume that you'll have a big baby based on your size...my friends are both big (him and her) and baby was 5lb 7 at full term.
    My biggest baby was 9lb 5 and he fitted in newborn for about a week but was in 0-3 for 2 months xx

5. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

Just to put it into some perspective, a "large" newborn generally weighs around 10lb (it would be extremely unlikely for you to have a baby bigger than 10 or 11lb unless you had diabetes that wasn't responding to management).

On average, babies gain about an ounce a day, possibly slightly more when on bottles, so around a pound weight gain per week or two. On top of that, most newborns lose a little weight in the first 5 days and get back to birth weight by 2 weeks. Sometimes sooner, but in most cases they are pretty close to birth weight at 14 days.

So even if you had a 10lb baby, you could expect them to fit 0-3 month clothes for a minimum of 4 weeks, but 8-10 weeks (or more) if their weight gain is 'usual' and the clothes are true to size (ie they do fit until the baby is 14/15lbs)

Also, whilst I'm not sure on the weight range of 0-3 month, mine fit their 'tiny baby' and 'newborn' clothes until they were a pound heavier than the weight the clothes claimed to fit up to.