Cloth Nappies

tweetyfoo

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot, and wish I had started with cloth:doh:

Aaron is 10 months now - its in not economical to start now?

Also, I am completely clueless about the, - a complete novice!

What does wearing a cloth nappy involve? How do they work?

How many nappies do you need? Then do they just have inserts?

Can you buy the nappies second hand (or is that disgusting?)

How long will the nappies last them? I imagine Aaron will be in nappies a little while longer than typical babies (that's what I'm planning for anyway)

Can someone break it down into lamens terms for me please?

We started with cloth nappies when our LO was around 5 months because before that she was just too tiny (smallest disposables came up around her armpits!!), so I don't think it matters when you start if you want to use them.

What we did was we got the Mothercare reusable nappies set, which comes with a bucket to soak them in and some nappy soak and is reasonably priced. I think it also came with nappy liners. You use the nappy liners on top of the nappy on the inside so when it's a dirty nappy it can be disposed of and there's less on the cloth to be dealing with.

The plastic pants that came with the set were absolute rubbish, so we got waterproof covers from Cotton Baby (brand was Nature Babies, one size cover, which is completely adjustable and lasts ages in terms of size). The covers can be machine washed with the nappies.

The Mothercare nappies lasted reasonably well, but if you're thinking long term, it's probably best to buy the best cloth you can afford as they tend to be thicker and bigger and so soak up things better!

Folding the nappy's the fun part!!! I think there are other options with reusable that are pre-folded, but we went with the traditional terry towelling ones.

I wouldn't have personally bought the nappies secondhand.

Good luck with it x

So do they pee into the cloth? How absorbent are they? And the plastic inserts catch poo?

Do you have to use a new cloth nappy at every change then? Do you go through more than you would disposables?

Hi Tweety

We are choosing to use cloth nappies from the outset (got some newborn ones and birth to potty).

Check out 'The Nappy Lady' website. She basically covers everything you need to know about using cloth, including the different types.

We have bought a load of pocket nappies (they are an all in one nappy, including fleece lining and outer waterproof cover (in pretty designs) which you just stuff an insert into the pocket in the nappy for absorbancy (can stuff in more for more absorbancy if you wish). You can also add a flushable liner inside the nappy or use a washable one. We have chosen a mixture of both until we decide what works for us.

The system we will use is literally dry-pailing......putting the wet nappies (and pooey ones once you have flushed the solids/liner away) into a mesh bag in a lidded bucket and when it's full, you bang them all in thw wash together with a tablespoon of washing power. Rinse cycle first, then wash on 40 for a longish wash. Then just hang to dry. Inserts and liners can all be washed with the nappies.

There are loads of brands to buy that can be quite expensive, but we have brought some fab ones online from Dudeybaba and Tiny Nippers and they are half the price. Had loads of good reviews so we bought some. Newborns and small babies go through 8-12 per day obviously, but someone Aaron's age presumably would go through a few less. So you need to make sure you have enough to last that day plus for when you are washing the dirty ones.

Obviously, we haven't used ours yet so can't tell you re: absorbancy but most sites say they can go for 3-4 hours before needing to be changed. That lessens for newborns so changing normally every 2 hours, but think that is similar to disposables anyway. I love the pocket style because they almost go on like a disposable would, but you just stuff a material liner in the pocket beforehand for absorbancy and a flushable or washable liner between nappy and baby's bum to catch the poo. Then once changed, all goes straight into the bucket to wash.

Do check out Nappy Lady though, she is brilliant and I got all the info I needed from her site.

Hope that helps and I haven't confused you xx

Last edited:
It's never too late to starts!!

About 20ish is normally enough for full time, pockets often come with insets, but depending on how much Aaron wets you could need extra boosters

We have LOADS of preloved nappies, it's a great way to try out different types.

The nappy depends on size of LO, but not a whole lot of kids out grow birth to potty ones.

There is a brilliant group of Scottish mums on Facebook who are ace at explaining all the ins and outs of them - prob be someone near to you who can show you some. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

We used cloth nappies for a bit as they were given to us by my SIL but Ts poos were sooo explosive in the beginning we only used them for a month.

We had the bambino mio ones. I also bought their mio solo ones which are brilliant and all you need is the paper liner to catch the poop. Emma's diary often has special offers on them.
Xx

We use cloth with Ella and I am totally smitten with them! I only got into using them recently - so in my opinion it's never too late.

We buy ours online and I've joined some second hand pant from a Facebook group I've joined. I use gnappy's as I find them the most convenient for me!

Xxx

Can't see tickers because I'm on my phone!

I've just started Evan on bamboozle stretch. I got them preloved off eBay at an absolute bargain! It's never too late to start!

As the ladies say try the nappy lady and google to see if you have a cloth nappy library in your area xx

thanks everyone

He's not a big wetter tbh, and his poos aren't that explosive anymore

We only use between 4-5 disposables a day - would we use more cloth?

It's never too late to starts!!

About 20ish is normally enough for full time, pockets often come with insets, but depending on how much Aaron wets you could need extra boosters

We have LOADS of preloved nappies, it's a great way to try out different types.

The nappy depends on size of LO, but not a whole lot of kids out grow birth to potty ones.

There is a brilliant group of Scottish mums on Facebook who are ace at explaining all the ins and outs of them - prob be someone near to you who can show you some. Xxx

Whats the name of the group again Lorna? Sorry I know you've mentioned it to be before, but I can't even remember what thread that was!

Hey sweetie. Just joining in now...

It's so daunting at first, but once you take the plunge you get used to it very quickly. I use about 5-6 cloth nappies a day. There is so much choice. There are some where you can re-use the outer layer a few times and just change the inserts, or there are ones, like the ones I use, where you change the whole thing. I use birth to potty pocket nappies, which have an outer waterproof layer with a pocket into which you stuff long, rectangular inserts. Most of these nappies come with at least one insert included, but you might want to get some bamboo boosters or similar if Aaron wets a lot. The brands I have are:

Fuzzibunz - lovely and slim fitting and not bulky between the legs. Very adjustable, but even with two inserts can need changing more frequently than the others. Also a bit fiddly to stuff as they are so slim. Still my favourite, though.

Smartipants - these are great because you don't need to pull the inserts out before you put them in the wash, so you get your hands less dirty. Good absorbency and nice fit. Not too bulky, especially with a slim bamboo booster.

Bumgenius V4s - bulky, especially with the long insert folded, but good absorbency. I don't like the fit on T so much, but I use the popper version, not the aplix, which would give a better fit, perhaps.

I also got some cheap ones from eBay which are perfectly functional too and much cheaper to bulk out your stash of nappies and to fall back on. I own about 20 nappies and wash every other day.

I liked buying from Lizzie's Real Nappies and from Fill Your Pants. My OH hated the idea of second hand, so we got ours new, and supplemented whenever there was a good deal on. I use paper liners from eBay, some mesh bags and a bucket. I also use washable fleece wipes that I just wet with water and wash with the nappies, so that saves money and is good for the environment too.

Hope this helps for a start xxxx

Hey sweetie. Just joining in now...

It's so daunting at first, but once you take the plunge you get used to it very quickly. I use about 5-6 cloth nappies a day. There is so much choice. There are some where you can re-use the outer layer a few times and just change the inserts, or there are ones, like the ones I use, where you change the whole thing. I use birth to potty pocket nappies, which have an outer waterproof layer with a pocket into which you stuff long, rectangular inserts. Most of these nappies come with at least one insert included, but you might want to get some bamboo boosters or similar if Aaron wets a lot. The brands I have are:

Fuzzibunz - lovely and slim fitting and not bulky between the legs. Very adjustable, but even with two inserts can need changing more frequently than the others. Also a bit fiddly to stuff as they are so slim. Still my favourite, though.

Smartipants - these are great because you don't need to pull the inserts out before you put them in the wash, so you get your hands less dirty. Good absorbency and nice fit. Not too bulky, especially with a slim bamboo booster.

Bumgenius V4s - bulky, especially with the long insert folded, but good absorbency. I don't like the fit on T so much, but I use the popper version, not the aplix, which would give a better fit, perhaps.

I also got some cheap ones from eBay which are perfectly functional too and much cheaper to bulk out your stash of nappies and to fall back on. I own about 20 nappies and wash every other day.

I liked buying from Lizzie's Real Nappies and from Fill Your Pants. My OH hated the idea of second hand, so we got ours new, and supplemented whenever there was a good deal on. I use paper liners from eBay, some mesh bags and a bucket. I also use washable fleece wipes that I just wet with water and wash with the nappies, so that saves money and is good for the environment too.

Hope this helps for a start xxxx

Really helpful thanks hun!

My council do have a voucher scheme, so I've applied for that

I've found a cloth nappy library near me to try too, so hopefully they will come back to me soon.

The bucket I've heard you refer to - do you soak them in water or dry store them till you wash them?

Am I right in thinking you use reusable wipes too? How do you find them, is it proper messy at poop times? I'm finding we are going through lots of wipes, and they are costing more money than bloody nappies at the minute.

Hi

We mainly use cloth nappies, particularly around the house or if we're just going out for the day. If we are away for a couple of days then we use disposable ones.

We use Little Lambs which are pocket nappies and bambino solo. I add extra bamboo boosters in them with a mesh liner to catch the poo.

I must say they don't last as long as a disposable and I have to make sure I change her more often if I do use them, otherwise they leak.

I don't normally soak the nappy. I put some tea tree oil on a breast pad and pop it in the bottom of the bucket. Then when I wash them I throw it away and do a fresh one. Sometimes I do wash any poo off before they go in the bucket, but only if it was a particularly bad poo.

I've found since weaning that the poo's are easier now. So I just use the mesh thing and drop it in the loo.

Just for information, I also find that it makes her bum a whole lot bigger, so some clothes, I struggle to get on her, like jeans, particularly if I added the boosters.

I'd certainly suggest getting a few and trying them round the home. Babies look super cute in them too, you can get some lovely patterns and colours.

We don't soak - in fact we just use XL wet bags in house, cos you can chuck them in wash as well. Tiny nippers has then really cheap.

Hi Tweetyfoo, congratulations of thinking about using cloth & it is rarely too late to start!

Firstly, remember, it doesn't have to be all or nothing & you don't have to get lots of the same nappy. It's good to try a few different types & find out what you like.

You'll need about 20 nappies to do it permanently but you can build that up over time.

It's worth seeing whether your local council offer any incentive schemes & also if there are any nappy libraries near you. I don't use Facebook but I've seen people say that there is a good nappy library page that shows the location & contact details for lots of libraries around the country.

In terms of nappy types, we've used loads and over time have probably built up to 40-50 in total. A nappy for all occasions!

Because your LO is 10 months, you don't need to worry about sized nappies. Just go for a size 2/large or a 'birth-to-potty' (like these 2 below) type if you think you may have more children.

Pocket nappies or all-in-ones are the way to go to make things easier & to get a much better selection of colours! Our favourites have been Bum Genius & Baba+Boo. Overall, the Baba+Boo has proven to be the most durable (because of the popper fastening) although both types have easily lasted 2 babies.

In terms of accessories, definitely get a couple of lidded nappy buckets & use flushable paper liners to keep the worst off. Also, it's worth getting some washable wipes which will also save a small fortune & just get thrown in the nappy bucket with the nappies.

I can't do links but our favourite nappy retailer is at hunnybums - you can google them. Lucy has been very helpful over the years so we can't recommend her enough. She also does a trial pack with some form of guaranteed buy back although she didn't when we were getting up & running but that might be worth looking at if you haven't got a nappy library near you. She certainly takes time to help you through the 'minefield' & she also does 'Skype demos' if you'd like to chat face-to-face.

HTH but just ask if you've got any more questions.

I have about 14 whichI have used continously for 2 years and am about to start using again.

I worked out that they paid for themselves after changing 600 ish nappies so would be worth it for you. and I went mad and bought pretty prints etc.

I really like fill your pants. We use tots bots easyfits, itti bitti and smartipants.

We use 5 a day but use a disposable at night and recntly I have been adding an additional bamboo soaker.

Hopefully I will be able to sell mine on - they are still pristine!

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered some! yippee!

Hey Tweety
We use Bumgenius Freetimes with Lyla. The birth to potty all in ones. Basically like a disposable with velcro. Change the same way you would with a disposable and put in nappy bin.
We wash every second day. Hard poops get flushed and I just leave the soft ones put them in the machine with the rest and give the machine a rinse afterwards.
We have 15 nappies in total.
We use reusable wipes too with a spray bottle and throw them in the wash with the nappies.
No need to add inserts to these ones either.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back