Cloth nappies - What made you choose?

I considered reusables but working out on my electricity tarrif the number of extra washed I'd need including drying (not always possible to dry on the line) plus the liners and the washing liquid and the nappiesan it dud work our far more expensive than the tesco nappies I use now. (£5 fir 58)

And in 6 weeks we've just had one happy explosion in disposables and zero happy rash.

I dry mine near radiators or in airing cupboard if cant dry outside
I didn't even think u could tumble dry to be honest
when I worked it out it saved several hundreds of pounds a year
a wash cycle atr 60 only costs 10p and I do an extra 4 washes a week with nappies so only 40p a week to wash
plus nappies cost on average £10 each and you need roughly 20 so that's £200 (although I got £100 from council)
boosters are £1.20 each and u need 20 = £24
liners are 4p so at 7 nappies a day = 28p per day

average 7 nappies a day = 2555/year x 3 years = 7665 nappies over their lifetime
total = £100 (£100 from council) +£24+(40p x 52 weeks for washing = £20.80) + (28px 365 = £102.20)= £247
each nappy costs £247/7665= 4 p

sposies = 58/£5 = 9p

5p every nappy change saving over disposables x 7 a day = 35p / day = £2.45/week = £127.40 a year

and way more if people using brands like pampers!

sposies =

Nice to see the maths! You save even more when used for more children too, I've kept all my sons cloth to use on bump, might buy and sell if I have a little girl, some of the girly ones are very cute under little dresses. Theres always people who will buy pre loved so least you get some money back there too.

ha ha im not sure maths is totally accurate but u get the idea
my lo has giraffe print, cow print, tiger print and camouflage amongst his collection sooo cute!

You need to take I to account that you can resell cloth (some actually gain in value)
Also I use reusable liners and only do 2-3 extra washes a week so even more of a saving!
I've stated with 2 small packs of sposies for my newest but moving on to cloth now his poo has changed once they are done

I reckon you get more poo going round your washing machine with leaked disposable the you do with proper nappies, where the poo is flushed down the loo. No contest.

They are also better for baby's hip development, comfier, and cooler than disposables.

TBH when I decided to use cloth it was because I'd found out about the chemicals in disposables. That gel stuff should not be anywhere near a baby's reproductive organs.
Or the plastic in them.

But then the more I looked into it the more I realised it was a lot better for the environment too.

can't wait to pick out some new nappies :) My only disappointment is I can't find the kissaluvs, I had a few second hand with my youngest and wanted a full set (of the organic hemp ones) for this baby but it seems they are currently out of production.

What make are people using. I see one yesterday where the whole liner is disposable (gnappies) but each liner costs 20 pence each. That is no way cheaper than disposables but the only one other half considered (until the cost was mentioned.

Sorry to add, I'm am more swayed to using a brand called Tot bots. Any experience of these would be fab.

Tots bots didn't work for us although I know they do for other people. We use Bambino Mio all in ones and love them! My lg is a heavy wetter so we also use the booster inserts.

I liked tots bots back when they were like their Bamboozles (bamboo or cotton or microfibre fitted terry toweling type).

This time I have some Little Lamb bamboo nappies (like the aforementioned tots bots).
I have a fe Grovia, and some Bummis prefolds for the newborn meconium poo stage, and I had a few nappies I saved from my last baby, but they are still in my loft.

I did end up ordering totsbots. Have ordered additional material liners to use at home as well as paper ones for when we are out and about. Nervous about taking this step but looking forward to it come August. Ended up buying the all in ones to start with as it was only way I could persuade other half it wouldn't be too difficult

I think it surely is worth a try. At the moment we use nappies we got from a shop in the web. I really don´t trust the nappis you get from stores so I tried the nappies from Internet-Shops which are specialized in Baby stuff. I saw it here. But I begin thinking that Cloth nappies maybe a quit better solution.

Last edited:
1. Less chemicals next to my babys skin and she kept getting a rash in disposables
2. Cheaper than disposables
3. They look so pretty

Will be using them again if i have another baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27