Cloth nappies - What made you choose?

xlilkax

Reaction score
So as an antenatal educator it was my job to promote all different styles of parenting and in my classes I would show how to use all different types of nappies, both cloth and disposable. A lot of parents (especially dads) didn't even realise there was such thing as reusable and I heard a lot of 'that's disgusting'. I'm just wondering what made you chose to use cloth and why?

Personally, I'd choose cloth! I did for a bit with my son but it was absolutely pointless because as soon as his dad would get home he'd put a disposable on him. He'd say 'I don't want poo going around my washing machine with my clothes'. He knew full well it doesn't quite work like that but nevermind. I now have a new partner and he was speaking to his dad on phone the other day who used reusable on all three of his children and says he was against it which has now put him in the mindset of we aren't using them either. Nightmare. He's put his foot down on this one so I guess we are using disposables again :(

might be worth pointing out that modern reusables are nothing like what they used even last generation.
personally I went with cloth because I was worried about nappy rash with disposables in a hot climate (we broke the record for most days over 40deg this summer...). We do use disposables when travelling or out and about for more than a couple of hours.

I heard that every single nappy that has ever been used is still on landfill as they take hundreds of years to breakdown and only been around since 1950/60's ...that horrified me I don't want my lo to grow up in a world of landfills and whilst I cant change the world I can help by not adding to that pile!
cloth nappies are more hygienic I think as the poo goes down the toilet where it belongs and doesn't sit in a bin in your house! ...plus cloth nappies look so pretty!!

Oh my OHs dads youngest two are 2 and 5 so it's not like it was 30 years ago or anything he used them hehe.

I think that's a good way of putting it to my OH MrsW84. Although he won't care about the environment he is big on hygiene. I sent him a text last night about the whole thing and he said that he is open to the idea he had just never heard of it before and it sounded disgusting. I think for me it will be a combination of using both cloth and disposables if he agrees to cloth. Disposables for travel and when my sister babysits. Cloth nappies baffle her

They leaked less on my LO than disposables and as she had very sensitive skin I had to change her very often . So a big part of the reason was financial. And they look nicer :)

I didn't start with cloth till late, Aaron was 10 months, but after the first one went on his bum I've never turned back.

I'd always been interested and intrigued by cloth as I knew a couple of mums on here that used cloth. It really scared me though.

It wasn't till one day I was emptying my nappy bin that I really considered it - the sight of all the nappies in the bin disgusted me and I started doing some proper research on it.

The cloth seems much more comfortable for Aaron, there are no chemicals, they are pretty and the save a tonne of money (unless you area pretty addict like me)

Its never really bothered hubby, although he wasn't a fan in the beginning, hes a big supporter of cloth now and hated when Aaron had to use disposables in hospital

I'll be stalking this as I want to try cloth nappies (dd is 3 weeks old) after using disposables with my eldest. Hubby is dead against it tho, states it's a waste of money despite me explaining it actually works out cheaper!!! Hoping for some ideas that might make him change his stubborn mind lol! X

Well my OH is willing to have his mind changed on cloth! Basically he doesn't understand it. What I'm going to do is get out the ones I already have and my Charlie (he's the doll I used for demonstrations) and show my OH how they work and how easy they actually are. Explain to him the benefits, explain what happens when it comes to washing them and write down all the expenses for cloth compared to disposables. When he can see it right in front of him that it will save us a lot of money I'm almost certain he will go for it. We briefly spoke about it last night and he said that he wants time for us and doesn't want to be cleaning all night when baby is here. So I agreed that I will put the wash on in the mornings. He hates doing washing as it is. Seems like it's just fear of the unknown with him, once he knows what he's doing I think he will get excited about buying the cute designs

I chose to use them for environmental reasons but quickly fell in love. I don't have pretties so have kept costs down but what we have are so much better than disposables. They last just as long and the only leaks we've had have been when we've put them on wrong. Even when he had a tummy upset and really epic diarrhoea we only got one tiny poo leak, they contained everything. Normal poo was pretty hit or miss in disposables - friends always moan about the same but won't even try reusables!

Plus I love seeing them drying on the line :)

My hubby has agreed to let us try them! Yay! Think he's sick of my hormones and wants an easy life lol! My reason is environmental and money saving x

So as an antenatal educator it was my job to promote all different styles of parenting and in my classes I would show how to use all different types of nappies, both cloth and disposable. A lot of parents (especially dads) didn't even realise there was such thing as reusable and I heard a lot of 'that's disgusting'. I'm just wondering what made you chose to use cloth and why?

Personally, I'd choose cloth! I did for a bit with my son but it was absolutely pointless because as soon as his dad would get home he'd put a disposable on him. He'd say 'I don't want poo going around my washing machine with my clothes'. He knew full well it doesn't quite work like that but nevermind. I now have a new partner and he was speaking to his dad on phone the other day who used reusable on all three of his children and says he was against it which has now put him in the mindset of we aren't using them either. Nightmare. He's put his foot down on this one so I guess we are using disposables again :(

I wanted to use cloth because you save money and the environment. And they have so cute prints. However, my husband did not (and does not) like dirty nappies either. I tell him to do what they do at the nursery - to throw in the toilet the disposable liner and put the nappy in a bag - than I will sort the rest. I always rinse the nappies before I to a rinsing cycle in the washing machine - he has been so angry many times, but this is ONE thing I will never give up. lol!

Also - I hear many people who have newborns who experience some "poo explosions" with poo everywhere using disposables. I have never experienced this with cloth:)

because the cloth nappies have elastic on the back they contain poo explosions much better than disposables !
go cloth!!!

Some disposables do have barriers on the back of the nappy too, it really depends which brand you use. Here in Australia huggies contain poo no problem, but other brands I've tried have been hopeless. Cloth is usually ok, but I have had a couple of minor poo leaks, and often get pee leaks as it's hard to tell when the cloth nappies are wet.

Environment-wise, once you take into account the extra washing machine loads, it's debatable which is best. If you're really worried about environment, you should probably go with biodegradable disposables, but that will definitely be more expensive.

To be quite honest, my LO doesn't get bad nappy rash, so if I had to choose again, I'd probably stick with disposables as it's just less faff all round.

Environment-wise, once you take into account the extra washing machine loads, it's debatable which is best. If you're really worried about environment, you should probably go with biodegradable disposables, but that will definitely be more expensive.

People always quote this but the study it's from is ridiculous (and sponsored by disposable nappy manufacturers) - washing daily at 90, tumble drying completely, using ludicrous amounts of washing powder and fabric softener as well as napisan in every wash (all not recommended) and even ironing the nappies!!!

It also compares this to only part of the manufacturing process of disposables and doesn't take into account disposal.

I think it's really sad how many people are put off by this one study and how much damage it's done to the environment just to boost profits of a few companies.

I'll get off my soap box now, sorry

Well said scotch egg. This really bugs me too, I have started many a argument at baby groups on this topic :)

I love cloth! So much better for baby and the environment and look cute too!
I remind people that a bin full of poo sitting for 2 weeks is even more disgusting! Most poo goes down the loo, I normally dunk and flush the liner so very little is left anyway. Babies explode out of sposies all the time, what happens to those poo clothes? They go into the machine like everything else! I always wash nappys on their own and do a cold rinse wash first to rinse the worst away before main wash.

People always quote this but the study it's from is ridiculous (and sponsored by disposable nappy manufacturers) - washing daily at 90, tumble drying completely, using ludicrous amounts of washing powder and fabric softener as well as napisan in every wash (all not recommended) and even ironing the nappies!!!

It also compares this to only part of the manufacturing process of disposables and doesn't take into account disposal.

I think it's really sad how many people are put off by this one study and how much damage it's done to the environment just to boost profits of a few companies.

I'll get off my soap box now, sorry

Sorry should have specified, I'm in Australia where we also have to take into account water consumption, and the fact that there's no choice but to tumble dry in winter as Australian houses don't have radiators/airing cupboards. Given you can't use the water economical cycles with nappies, it's a bigger issue than in the UK. I completely agree that the particular study you're ranting about isn't worth the paper it's written on.

using reusables saves an overall carbon impact of 40% yes reusables use water to wash them but less than is used to manufacture the disposables !
although some people see it as faff others see it as a way of helping the environment a bit
by using reusables I am saving 4000 nappies over los life time from the landfill that's pretty amazing and worth the extra washing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back